Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi all

I am curious to know if you thought it would be possible to cure myself using the resources on this website?

I have been to see a counsellor, who based on what I have read in here, was very good and certainly used reputable treatments such as exposure therapy and CBT plus some breathing techniques. He also explained the way the brain works with phobias which helped me to understand it better.

The problem is that then he said to just go it alone and that was it. The exposure therapy required me to use creative visualisation on my heirachy of fears but I just couldn't do it. I just can't force myself to lie there and actively think about it so I have never done it. The CBT seemed useless when I was in a sweating panicked state - and breathing didn't do much either.

So I gave up.

Looking at these sites I am thinking that I can use the site with the 42 pictures and then move onto the videos but am wondering if this will be enough? Do I need to do this with a therapist to make this work?

I really really want to get past this - my husband and I are thinking of having an extra child but I know I am afraid because of the emet - having one sick kid is bad enough but the thought of two terrifies me. Also I got PND last time and I am sure it was because of the emet.

I need to work on this - I don't want this to stop me having another child and regretting not dealing with this for the rest of my life.

Thankyou for any advice.

I know that you can get ALOT of support and comfort from this site. I think between all of us here, we have taken every anti-emetic on earth. I am actually thinking of taking a break from the site. I think it makes me think about it more. I was suppose to have started not being on the site tonight but then my stomach starting hurting and I needed my "security blanket" (this site).

I am trying to tackle this thing myself. I want kids but I cant get past the morning sickness thing or if my kid gets sick. Good luck! We are all here if you need us!

Taffy

Thanks - just FYI, being pregnant doesn't necessarily mean morning sickness - I never had it! I did wonder if I could become a bit too involved in this such that I was obsessing over it and on the site all the time. I want to plan a course of treatment for myself and then go and try it, rather than spend too much time dwelling on things! Good luck to you too!

I think you can make some progress and get some symptom relief from your anxiety through the use of books or self-help resources, but ultimately you really need someone to journey with you in order to be "cured". It sounds to me like your therapist didn't know what he was doing - leaving you on your own like that...if you can't even visualize then there was a lot your therapist could have done with you. I'm shocked that he gave up on you. Honestly, there are a lot of great people out there who could really help you. Perhaps start looking and interviewing. There are guidelines on this thread - sticky post as the top as to how to find someone.

Good luck!

For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.