Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi there!

Has anyone here ever tried something called "Rescue Remedy"?? I saw it on an anxiety website, and it's supposed to be effective in virtually any situation that causes anxiety or stress. It's a liquid you can take in water or by itself. I just bought some, and the guy at the store says his mom has anxiety attacks and uses it--she says it actually works. I haven't tried it yet, and I was curious if anyone has had any experience with it and could let me know.

Thanks!

Sounds like a scam to me.

As far as I know there's no drug that can stop panic attacks while they're happening.

If anything it's probably some kind of herbal sedative which would work much in the same as a prescription one from a doctor. It helps keep you more clam in general, so it might lower the number of panic attacks you get.

Edited by: chicajojobe

If it's Bach's Rescue Remedy, then I use this regularly. It's a herbalconcoction and I use the dropper to put 4 drops on my tongue when I'm feeling nervous or anxious. It's very popular in the UK and I know loads of people who use it.

I don't know what it is, probably the grape alcohol that is used, but it does help to relax me. I'm not saying it stops a full blown anxiety attack, but if I'm mildly nervous about something, or feeling a bit stressed, then it helps.

Here's the link: http://www.bachshop.com/customer/home.php

my naturopath gave me some once when i went to see her but i didnt notice any difference in the way i was feeling. perhaps because i wasnt really stressed or nervous at the time it wasnt likely i would notice any change. my friend reckons its top stuff though and uses it when she has exams or presentations to make.
    Angles

Hi Christianne,

Yes it works for me! I usually use it if i'm feeling a bit 'off' and I have to go somewhere on public transport (this is when my panic attacks usually kick in). I just put about 5 drops (more than necessary I think) into a bottle of mineral water and sip it on my journey. It makes me really really relaxed and calm, but I think too much might make you sleepy.

I've got an 11-hour flight to Cape Town coming up next month, and will use it again then. My grandmother introduced me to it the first time I admitted I was worried about flying, and as usual, gran new best! I always have a bottle in my bag, for just in case..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Don\'t regret the things you have done - regret those that you haven\'t!

I use that stuff alot. I have a special "calm" one that i got from boots. I usually use it befor exams or befor the dentist or something in particular. Used to use it when i was anxious about going on buses but it helps me a bit and its best to try to work with it rather than resisting it. Gets rid of that butterflies in the stomach feeling.

Hope it helps you

Katie

I totally think it's just a psychosomatic thing. Anxiety attacks are a physical reaction to something mental- so I'm guessing that if you think it will work, it probably will have some positive effects.

Checking out the website, it totally smacks of "snake oil" to me- how they describe the 38 essences is almost laughable- Beech essence will make someone less critical of others and accept them as they are? Cherry Plum will bring you from the brink of suicide? They are promising a bit too much here IMO for it to be at all plausible.

I'm skeptical of anything that claims to be effective in "all" situations that cause anxiety or stress, lol. But then again, I'm a natural skeptic.

*amber*

My sister uses it when she's really stressed out. She says it takes the edge off. She actually said it helps her more than xanax.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Thanks to all for the info!
    I tried it this morning before a job interview, and it really seemed to work! Even if it was just in my mind, I wasn't the rambling, shaking mess I am usually at those things. Plus, I had to go to an open house tonight at my son's school, and I felt ALOT less nervous around all the children. Usually when I'm in a group with alot of kids I constantly worry that one of them will get ill, but I really didn't think about it this time for a change.
    Even if it's my mind playing tricks on me, I really like being able to feel a little more free for once!

you know what-

Even if it is snake oil, I know for myself I would rather someonetake something with natural ingredients, than a chemical pill. So, if you feel it works, awesome.

*amber*

I take it, i love it. It's not a miracle cure, obviously. People just expect it to work perfectly, all the time. But, it's good for calming me down when i'm in a panic, or have been traumatized in some way (like falling down the stairs). I like it! Plus its natural.

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I use it and I love it. I haven't had to use an ativan for months. I have a
    friend who had all of the 38 essences (Bach Flower) and she has loaned
    them to me to create my own mixtures. I haven't had to use them,
    because the Rescue Remedy has been a God send.

My friend found it in a spray...I carry it in my purse and just spray 2
    squirts in when I need it. It is a tad more convenient than the drops.
    However, I tend to put the drops in a bottle of water and sip on it for the
    day.

I was very skeptical at first. And who knows, it could very well just be
    psychosymatic, but, for me, I would rather go a natural route to help with
    my anxiety. And, it works wonders for me, even if it is the placebo effect.
    Julie

I use it when my anxiety is high and it really helps. I like it

i have some i got from holland and barrett but i havent used it as yet

I recently tried and now i think i am addicted to it. It has helped me out
    when i start to feel n* so it helps to keep me from panic attacks. Of
    couse it wouldn't stop an attack dead in its tracks but i like to think of it
    as helping to prevent one. Although it could just be phsychosymatic but
    that won't stop me from using it if its all natural stuff...
    ~viva~

i haven't experienced much relief from rescue remedy or any of the
    bach flowers.

Has anyone used 5HTP? It's not the same thing is it?
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

Yep, Im another user, I found it years ago whilst looking for something to help when flying, I do think theres some truthin the "mind over matter" way of thinking, but hey, it makes me feel betterwhen Im really tense and that can only be good.

I tried Bach Rock Rose (I think thats what it was)for terror last time I flew (I hate flying) and that had the same good effect.

Laney xx

Uh, where do you get this stuff? I know I like chamomile, so maybe trying herbs instead of a sedative might be healthier for me. Worth a try, I guess.

In the UK you get it from most health food shops and pharmacys. Im sure it must be availbvle in the US but not sure where.

Laney

if you live in the US you can get it from wild oats, or whole grocers; it's kind of expensive but it really does work. it's not actually psychosomatic; the oils/essences are plant derivitives that have chemical properties that work with the chemicals in your body to reduce or prevent anxiety. obviously everyone's a bit different chemical-makeup-wise, so it may work differently on different people. but it's worth a shot if you want to try & relieve some anxiety. give it a try!

~ bethany

\"what\'s meant to be will always find a way\"

::there is no way to peace
    eace is the way::