Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

sorry, it's me again . . . .

Part of my job involves doing home visits, and on Monday I saw a client in her house. She mentioned that she had had "a sick bug" last week, and that it was going around and all the kids had it too - now, presuming it was something norovirus-y, I did very well with my reasoningthings out (thanks Sage and Alvin![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]) - If it was last week, it would be okay now, no contamination, sensible hygeine, etc, etc. A triumph for me I guess!

But . . . got me wondering - okay, so you have to ingest the virus particles, as in swallow 'em, but what if you were in the bathroom where someone had v*ed or d*ed and particles were floating around, then you breathed in and some stuck in your throat THEN you swallowed 'em ?!

I'm sorry, not wanting to cause mass panic, I dont think it is very likely, but when I was sitting in her house I suddenly became very aware of my breathing and swallowing (anxiety, I know)

It's probably a dumb theory, but if anyone knows please let me know?

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]xxx

hi snake,

it's not a dumb question, really. But the answer is that you can't "breathe them in". It just doesn't work that way. If you were in the bathroom when someone vomited, the misty "spray", when it hits something, could come up and touch your nose or eyes, and then you would ingest the particles. But not a week later...not even an hour later. 99.999% of the time, people pick it up on their hands. Clean hands, and/or not touching your mucus membranes, is the key to preventing it.

Hope this helps.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lol! Thanks again Sage, was hoping you might be able to answer that one for me!

[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Was glad I didn't run out of my client's house too![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]Might have at one time, haha!

xxx