Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

now, I'm probably unleashing a huge debate here, but I want to see where people stand on this issue.

what is your stand on taking anti anxiety, or anti depressant drugs to treat this phobia?

I see people on this site all the time promoting them, and I believe they are not needed to successfully treat emet.

I think that we have more power over the mind that we realize, and through treatments like CBT which do not use drugs, we can change the way we think.

now, I understand that not one treatment works for everyone, and many people may have to go through trial and error untill they find one that suits them, but, I feel like doctors pretty much hand these drugs out like candy to anyone with any slight anxiety issues. I think they act as a band aid - yes, they maymake us feel better, but are we not just covering up the real problem?

most people have a trigger ( not all, but most) to how emet started.Call it the freudian perspective, but I think that fixing the root of the problem can help a great deal, and not avioding it or putting a band-aid on it.I think in the beginning, drugs can be a helpful way to get the person calm enough to start with a CBT treatment, but in no way do I ever think drugs should be the only form of treatment used.

Being an emet who has come a long way with her battle, I've never used any type of anti anxiety drug to get me here. I know everyone is different, but I think that we are selling ourselves short by taking the short cut.

There are many thoeries to why people develop anxiety disorders, and one explains it by saying its often passed down genetically from parents, but that the environment brings it out.. that its a learned behaviour that some people develop because they are gentically predisposed to it. My thoughts are, that if the brain can learn a behaviour, it can also unlearn it through cognitive behavioural treatment.

alrighty, thats my rant, feel free to add your opinion.

Edited by: Babydoll
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I dont' want to get too in depth because this is a very controversial topic, but i just wanted to say a quick piece:

I think that antidepressants aren't necesarily bad, unless they are abused. When people go on them at the first sign of depression and never go off them, it seems to become more of a crutch. I feel that therapy should be used first, and then anti depressants in extreme circumstances. Also, you should wean off them with therapy. I know some people really do need them, it is that severe, and so by all means stay on them. But I think that too many people use them as a crutch.

Personally I am against most types of medicine for phobias for MYSELF, but I have no problem with other people using them.

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Oh my---I'm not saying a word on this one. I'm just gonna pop in and read only.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I only have a second, but I wanted to quickly state that I passionately believe that these medications actually hinder people from overcoming their real issues and actually more than likely make the person's life worse in the long run.

Although I have met people who I feel have benefitted much from the use of anti depressants/ anti anxiety medication, I don't belive in them for otherwise functioning people. (people with mild to moderate depression, ocd or anxiety and mood disorders) I believe they should be prescribed only to those who are in desperate need of them. I understand there is a gray area and a fine line between sick and well in the world of mental and emotional health. But I also believe that our society (especially here in the states) thrives on this kind of victim and band aid mentality, which is exactly why 2/3 of menopausal women and adolescents are on some kind of mind altering drug when really they just need a healthy diet, excercise and self discipline.

Back to this phobia and medications though, because I sort of got side tracked there. I believe that with phobias the only way to overcome them is to challenge them and face them. I understand that different people have different thresholds and comfort levels. I don't feel that conquering a phobia should be comfortable. Most things that are worth having don't come easy. Why would this? I don't see how taking a medication to help me stop thinking or obsessing over an object is going to help my life unless I intend on taking it the rest of my life, which unless we are schitzophrenic or have other such issues, none of us should even consider doing. We just need to retrain our brains and face our fears and learn to deal with them. Putting a band aid on that is only asking for trouble later.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I have to agree with what is stated above. If someone is to the point of being suicidal, or completely non-functional, then meds may be a short term solution to the immediate problem. There are also certain disorders, such as shizophrenia, that no amount of therapy or assessing thought patterns is going to fix- meds are needed in order to function normally (without being institutionalized, which I have seen firsthand and is not pleasant).

However, I don't think they aremeant to be a way of life for something like a phobia,because I do think they make you complacent- they numb the anxiety, but it's still there. The real issue is still there and not beingaddressed, so essentially it's like slapping a bandaid on a bullet wound. It may stop the bleeding but the damned thing is still in you.

Unless the thought patterns are addressed, the drugs really won't fix anything, and if the person decides to no longer take them, their previous issues will likely return. It can be a vicious cycle. The fact that they are so readily available also a major problem in my opinion. It sickens me that I can go to my doctor and get prescribed something for feeling "a bit down" (no matter what the cause)- or get a prescription for Xanax as easily as if it were chewing gum.

I am also very saddened by the state of North American medicine and the incestuous relationship between pharmaceutical companies and doctors. They essentially get 'courted' into hocking their product, and it's disgusting. That is definitely not saying that all doctors are "pushers"- there are some really great ones out there- but there sure are a lot out there who prescribe first, ask questions later.

What also happens a lot is that these pills and being prescribed by GPs or family doctors, so they are being taken without any sort of psychiatric care or supervision. I think that if antidepressants or antianxiety medication is being prescribed, psychiatric treatment should be mandated. You shouldn't be able to get one without the other.

But of course, that is my opinion....

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well, I only speak for myself, but when I was on Celexa years ago, I never worried about sv and my IBS was under control. The Celexa handled my panic attacks and my overall anxiety and depression wonderfully. I went off it mainly because I lost my insurance.

I am about to start Zoloft because my panic attacks are out of control again and it;s causging me to not want to go anywhere or do anything.

Yes, these drugs can be over prescribed but I do think they help people when combined with therapy.

I only have a minute, so I will respond quickly. I am on Zoloft, and I feel that it has helped me soo much. I have been on it three times, including this time, and every time I went off it, I deteriorated fast. I have sufered from depression since I was a small child, and have had good and bad phases, but it was always there.
    I do not believe that antidepressants or antianxiety meds can cure this phobia, and I think that if someone is on these meds, they should also be in therapy if financially possible.
    The problem with being completely against these meds for emets is that many of us have other conditions that go hand in hand with this anxiety disorder, like depression. I'm not saying every emet does, but some do. I think it is a very individual thing, whether someone takes these meds or not. Everyone has different brain chemistry, and experiences. I myself have greatly benefitted from the use of antidepressants, and though I do not want to be on them forever, I am willing to do that if need be, so that I can have a decent quality of life. I am also committed to working on myself through a number of other non drug methods.

Firstly I need to say that all of my responses in this part of the forum particularly are not directed toward any one person and any anger detected is completely just anger that I have toward our medical community. I have nothing but love and good will toward everyone on this board.

I am a believer in the kind of mentality that if I care about you I am going to tell you how I feel no matter how harsh it might come across. If I didn't care, I would just ignore it. This is simply a subject that I feel sooo passionately about that if I can just get one person thinking about what they are actually doing to themselves, then I will feel better. It's not to say that my opinion on this is the only one, or that I am right, or that I know everything. It's just an opinion.

That being said, I am going to use the above posts where people are condoning medication just as a good example. Both posters said that they had wonderful experiences while on the medication. Anxiety gone.. They got their lives back. But when they got off of the medication, the anxiety came back. This tells me, and probably them, that they are going to have to be on this medication for the rest of their lives in order to feel comfortable. What our doctors do not tell us is that these medications completely kill our livers and endocrine systems. Being on them long term like this is just not good for our bodies at all. They don't like to talk about it, I feel, because it is a bad idea to give the medication a bad reputation because it might stop people who would otherwise be psychotic or suicidal from taking it.

I understand that brain chemicals cause depression. But there are many ways to restore serotonin without using these ssri's. For instance, I have been on this workout kick for about a year now and I freaking love rush I get and the feeling from the feel good endorphins after a good work out. It's a million times better than I ever felt while popping my little pills. Eating a diet rich in 'feel good' vitamins will also help. Drinking plenty of water. Getting plenty of rest. Avoiding stress. Getting our bodies back to working as they are designed naturally instead of messing them up further with these dangerous chemicals is a much better solution to living with anxiety and depression.

Also, every person on here should be seeking some kind of therapy. If you can't afford it (i understand.. I am in that boat at the moment), then get self help books, learn relaxation, and start chipping away at exposure therapy. There are many books out there that have the same information in them that you would get through a therapist and they can be checked out at the library.

Honestly, if someone were to say to me that they have done the above and it didn't work- I would feel compelled to say back 'You didn't try hard enough'. I seriously feel that many of us (I was soooo there once) subconsciously benefit from being 'sick' and actually are afraid to get better.

Think about it. We are in charge of our own thoughts and our own brains. I am not saying that I never have anxiety. I have been having panic attacks every day that I go to the college now just because I had a bad experience on the first day. But I realize that I have to continue to go through the hell and panic to re train my mind to be able to go to the school without the panic. Does that make sense? Once I realized that I COULD make myself better. That I didn't need drugs. And, that I am in charge of my own life and my thinking- then I was able to stop feeling like a sad, whiney victim (because i truly was) and start taking proactive measures to end this hell. I can tell you all that ignoring it and taking their f***ing drugs only made me worse.

Not only did it make things worse emotionally/mentally. I also ended up with a
    \"This too shall pass\"

marieb & daffodil,

I didn't at all mean to suggest that either of you haven't tried to combat your anxiety or depression by other means. I think my above post comes off as sounding a little self rightous and I didn't want that at all. daffodil, I am really sorry that you have battled with depression for so long. When I re read your post, I thought of my daughter (since you stated it began in childhood) and I thought of how my heart would break if she had problems with depression. Crap, I hate when she has a single bad day. It must really suck and I understand you wanting to have a decent quality of life.

Both of you also stated that you believe that medication should only be used in conjunction with therapy and on a short term basis, which I also agree with.

I think I just get so upset because it seems as if so many practitioners use it as their first resort and a quick fix. That makes me sad because many of us could feel better without the medication and actually live a normal life for the first time in as long as we can remember.

I think I just get overly excited about the subject because I haven't had a decent experience with these meds, so I cannot relate. But, I wanted to apoligize for coming off so harshly.

\"This too shall pass\"

I will speak to SSRIs. I had been on Paxil off and on from 2001-2005 for depression. The times that I went on it were to combat not just the feeling but the intent to kill myself due to difficult issues I was dredging up in therapy. The second difficult time resulted in my staying on the drug for over 1 1/2 years, even though the crisis time had passed. I and my therapist agree that I will not need to use these drugs again.

The important thing is to go into using SSRIs with full knowledge of their risks. shiva is right. These drugs, in affecting the serotonin system, also affect your endocrine system, your liver, and your digestive system. Serotonin is a huge part ofthe digestive tract, so many people with anxiety and depression may feel a better functioning digestive system from the pills. I know I did. However, they worsen the function of your endocrine system and your liver for the most part.Your endocrine system controls your metabolism. This is why many peoplecan get weight gain from the drugs. I gained a tremendous amount of weight on these drugs because of theireffects on mymetabolism. I do firmly believe that they hastenedthe onset of a thyroid problem. I may have gotten it anyway, but I don't think it would have been this soon in my life.

I have always known that these medication should not be a replacement for therapy and for exercise and diet and whatever other routes can be taken to mental health. I have never used them that way. I have only started taking them when I was desperate to get through issues in therapy that have been indispensable for my future well being and for long term healing.

From my experience, I have learned that it is a good idea to get frequent blood tests while you are on these meds. Once every two months would not be out of line because you want to be able to know right away if you are having blood sugar issues like shiva had or thyroid issues like I did. Back in 2001, a psychiatrist was going to put me on Effexor. She told me, however, that if I went on that drug, I would need to go every month to get a blood test because of its effects on liver function. That is the most warning that I have ever had from a psychiatrist about these pills.

Also don't stay on the meds for the "rest of your life." I don't believe that these pills were ever meant for that, though doctors and the general public are using them that way now. We have to realize that the clinical trials that approved SSRIs for the market lasted only a few months at most. So no one right now in the scientific or medical communities has any documented evidence of what these meds do to one's body long-term. They have studies that have gone through three months and maybe a few later studies that scientists have done to test for certain things. This is one reason why doctors don't know to tell you to look for potential bodily health issues from these. The research out there has not been replicated enough times, nor has it been done in long term, years long trials of the meds. The evidence of problems are from users of the meds who develop health problems abruptly after starting the meds, and they know damned well that the meds caused them. Doctors won't lend them credence because there aren't studies to back it. That doesn't mean it's not true, however. And the studies probably won't be done because funding for scientific research is so little in the first place that I can't imagine much of it being allocated toward the long term effects of SSRIs.

Just be a smart user. Take them to get past a crisis. Work really hard in other ways to solve your mental health problems. Go off them as soon as the crisis is past. Then, keep working in the other ways.

Oh, and also I would like to add that I second shiva's remark that EVERYONE on this board should be in some kind of therapy, even if it's the free exposure therapy sage set up and the self help books.

Therapyshould go at the very top of the list of financial priorities because if you don't heal yourself so that you can enjoy life fully, what does it matter what other possessions you have? I think that it doesn't.I think therapy for those with depression and anxiety disordersshould be thought of as the same kind of financial priority as paying the rent, mortgage, and basic utilities and taking care of your kids, if you have them. No, I'm not kidding. What else is more important than yourself and getting your life back? No one is, and that's the truth.

And one last thing: I do acknowledge that there may be some people whose depression is so physically rooted that it will not be able to be fixed through therapy. In that case, meds may have to be used for the rest of one's life. It's a tough situation to be in though because I know that they do effect the body in negative ways, even while affecting the mind in a positive way. It's a difficult burden to bear to be in the position of having depression that is just purely biochemical and doesn't get better any other way. People who have this know when it is this way, and it is not going to help to have people say, "well, you should be eating this or that or doing meditation 5 times a day, or touching your toes or whatever" because you know that that doesn't work for you.

i am on sertraline an sadly been on it since i was 16 i am 18 now. I agree with all the views tat have been posted. The only thing i can say in the anti dep defence is that somtimes it helps u to have the strengh to work through your problems. When i was 16 my emet ruled my life icouldnt get out of bed i was so exhausted from panicks an i couldnt even cope with dealing with thearpy then i went on the drugs (much to my disaproval because i like the natural way) but i was so desprate.

and i had positive effects from it, i found it kept me on a nice level of calm so that when i did panick it didnt hit me as hard. this helped me get to therapy. so i say both help!

i dont thin anti dep are the answer tho i am sure i am getting imune to mine lol.

just my view

michelle xxxx

I have a lot of mixed emotions about this one...In the past I have taken Paxil Cr for about a year. Let me start out by stating that I have struggles with anxiety and depression since I was a teenager mainly due to some bad decisions. I never took medication for it and noticed at times it would be worse and at times it would be better, same with my IBS. Long story short, I started an extremely stressful job right out of college and quit smoking pot at the same time (which was really self-medicating for me with anxiety.) After about 8 months of solid stress, I took a trip with my bestfriend and ended up having my first panic attack while driving. It scared me so much that I started to lose a lot of faith in my abilities. I ended up going to a counselor and starting the paxil. For a while, I was afraid to drive even in town and would get panicy everytime. I realized that this was my own mind playing tricks on me. Gradually, I MADE myself face it and drove a little more each day until I made a 3 hour drive by myself again. The panic really was ALL in my mind. Yes, the paxil helped me in many ways, but I was taking it to make myself be able to stay at a horrible job that I hated!! I think that making life changes to make things better is much more powerful than the medications. Like everyone else that posted, I went downhill after getting off of the paxil. For the past year I have debated trying it again, but I want to make REAL changes in my life to make things better. Yes, antidepressants are like putting a bandaid on a broken leg. Please don't ever think that I am not sympathetic to everyone here, I understand just wanting to have a normal quality of life and being tired of being in pain and suffering. I am so sad for everyone that is feeling that way because I understand what an empty tunnel of suffering and black hole that it is. Sometimes you need a little help pulling out of that terrible place and anti-depressants help that, but the real changes that you will make are the ones that YOU chose to make better. Its definately a hard road, but everything worth achieving is going to be hard and we are all in this together. The mind is SO powerful and sometimes it is so hard to be positive
    We have got to be able to laugh at ourselves about this!!

I think I agree with everything Anya said and would like to steal credit for it, mwah ha ha.

Do you ever wonder if it's really the meds helping? Or, maybe it really is just 'you' helping yourself get better because the pressure is off of 'you' and on the meds. Does that make sense?
    \"This too shall pass\"

Shiva, No offense taken. I honestly do not know if my depression is purely chemical, or partially a result of things that happened in my childhood. My mother was/is an alcoholic, who could be very manipulative, and made some bad choices about things that affected my life as a child. I'm not trying to have a pity party, just stating reasons why the depression/anxiety may have reared it's ugly head so early.
    I have had the discussion with a trusted family member before, about the nature vs nurture question as it applies to my depression, and she brought up an interesting point. It is possible that if I do have a chemical imbalance, it was not there from the beginning, but developed as a result of my unhappy childhood, and my brain got "trained" to be unhappy. Does that make any sense?
    I did not know about the possible longterm effects of SSRIs on the body. If anyone has links to any information on this, I would be interested in checking it out.

Shiva, no offense taken at all by your post. My anxiety came back about 1 year after I stopped the Celexa. I have always had panic/anxiety and recently discovered that both of my parents have struggled with it their whole lives.

My anxiety came back when I returned to being a full time student and still employed fulltime. I'll admit it - I cannot handle it, but I have no choice right now. So my hope is the Zoloft will help me through until my life becomes less chaotic. I am also seeing a counselor on campus because it is free. Hopefully between the two I can keep my head together.

Well I guess this is sort of my area now, so I'll chime in. First off, let me say that I worked hard for many years to treat my phobia through therapy and never used any sort of drugs at all. I do take the occasional Ativan for the dentist or flying, but that's not what we're talking about anyway.

I see many clients with anxiety, and several with emetophobia. The choice to take SSRIs depends on many factors, and the decision is always made by a doctor together with the patient. But I actually recommend that many of my clients get medical help and consider SSRIs. This is because they are so unbelievably anxious they are impossible to work with. If you're so anxious that your cognitive function is completely shut down - "dissociative", or you cannot go out the house to a therapist, or you're so scared in the therapist's office you can't even speak properly or get into deep issues, then your brain chemicals are SO out of whack, that SSRIs are really helpful.

The only opinion I have about people who take them but don't do therapy is that while they are a symptom-relief, they are not doing anything to "cure" your phobia and as soon as you go off them, it will be right back. Many on this thread have already attested to that. So yes, you either take them the rest of your life or you work in therapy like hell so that you can go off them one day. Deciding to go off them when you've done no other work toward treating your anxiety is foolish. Unless your family circumstances have radically changed (another factor that affects anxiety), then you will be as bad or worse when you go off them.

Even if you do work hard in therapy, you may still need to be on them, as therapy works on the "wiring" in your brain, but can't address the chemical problems [although some theorists disagree with me on this]. Now healthy wiring helps make up for screwy chemicals, so you might be alright. But you'll never be "normal" chemically once you've got chemical imbalances from an anxiety disorder. So you'd have to weigh the risks and benefits.

While the drugs may affect one's liver adversely, so doescontinual anxiety - when the body is CONSTANTLY mounting a stress response 24/7. Again, each case is different and it's a balancing act. You, your doctor, and your therapist together must make the decision about the use of medication as part of an overall treatment plan.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I have to say that I think anti-depressants are over-prescribed, yet I've been on them most of my adult life. They have really really helped me, but I've had to get off them because of the side effects. I was on so many different ones, but they all made me gain twenty pounds. Most recently I was on zoloft, and it did help me mentally, but again, I gained twenty pounds, had extreme memory loss, my face broke out, I couldn't sleep at night or stay awake during the day. I was taking extra drugs to counteract the zoloft, and after awhile, I just said enough. I was tired of taking a drug to make my body do something it should do naturally. Now, I have to say, if all that hadn't happened, I would probably still be on zoloft, but it was just too much. Now I'm getting off it, and having horrible withdrawal and mood swings. I think if you truly need them, they can be lifesavers, but my doctor will write me a prescription for anything I want, whenever I want, and not need to see me. Something is wrong with that. Just do your research and if possible, go through a psychiatrist, which is what I did eventually, and they will moniter you and decide what would be the best route for you personally. I think they are great for people who need them, I will say that, just be careful and pay attention to your body. Janna

You know what daffodil? That's just the thing is that there is not any authoritative research about the long-term effects of the drugs on the body. There is just the anecdotal evidence of people who knew that their bodies functioned just fine before the drugs and then developed disorders after the drugs. There are class action lawsuits against many of the drugs. There is a website for Paxil. I think that the people whose bodies become ill on these drugs know -- because a person knows howhe/she usually feels and when something has changed.

For example, I was always incredibly thin and could eat whatever I wanted without gaining a single pound. I started Paxil in July 2001. By the end of August 2001, I had gained 15 pounds - in one month. And I was a person who never gained weight. I stayed on the meds because I was so depressed at the time, and I didn't worry about weight at all back then. I proceeded to gain another 20 pounds over the next 3 months at which point, the weight gain sort of stabilized. For me, this type of weight gain was unheard of, and it coincided without a doubt directly with the pills. I was 29 years old at the time, and I weighed 115 pounds then when this weight gain started.

My point is that my metabolism was definitely being affected by Paxil, and it may say weight gain in the side effects list, but has this level of weight gain been documented anywhere in the official information on Paxil. At the time, my doctor told me, "You should gain 7 pounds at the most from Paxil." Well, um, no, that's not what happened to me.

If you are sensitive to the drugs, it will manifest itself in some way. If you have been on them a while and do not experience adverse effects, then presumably it's not a problem for you (you in the general sense). You would know if something was going wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by daffodil
    Shiva, No offense taken. I honestly do not know if my depression is purely chemical, or partially a result of things that happened in my childhood. My mother was/is an alcoholic, who could be very manipulative, and made some bad choices about things that affected my life as a child. I'm not trying to have a pity party, just stating reasons why the depression/anxiety may have reared it's ugly head so early.
    I have had the discussion with a trusted family member before, about the nature vs nurture question as it applies to my depression, and she brought up an interesting point. It is possible that if I do have a chemical imbalance, it was not there from the beginning, but developed as a result of my unhappy childhood, and my brain got "trained" to be unhappy. Does that make any sense?
    I did not know about the possible longterm effects of SSRIs on the body. If anyone has links to any information on this, I would be interested in checking it out.
    Edited by: japa

On a personal note, I've taken Paxil and Lexapro here and there over the last few years. Here and there...by that I mean I was on them for 6+ months, because deciding to go off them. There were a few different reasons. For one, they weren't helping me at all. Two, the side effects. I gained weight and my sex drive...GONE. I'm still trying to fix those two issues, but I'm scared that the Lexapro screwed up that stuff forever.

I also don't want to become dependent on them. My father has dealt with depression for most of his life and has been on Prozac or Paxil for as long as I can even remember. Can't go a day without them.

The last time I stopped taking them was because I lost my job and stuff...lost my health insurance. But had a summer almost free and clear of anxiety. I wasn't working, so I had zero stress. Recently started a new job and my stress level is back up again and here I am suffering during what should have been a nice weekend.

I actually no longer want to deal with SSRI's but want to talk to my doctor about taking something on a prn, as needed, basis. SSRI's took over my life and I was freaked out about them. Forget to take one?? And I was f'd up for days, even if it was only ONE DAY that I forgot to take it.

I don't think everyone has this same reaction to them, so I can't say whether or not others should take them. That's just my experience so far...

Yes, if you forget to take Paxil, you become dizzy usually. I experienced that. And I had a lot of dizziness asI went off of them this last time, probably because I wanted to get off them quickly, so I rushed it. I also had seven days of diarrhea, again probably from going off too quickly. That was juuuust great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by melissarene

On a personal note, I've taken Paxil and Lexapro here and there over the last few years. Here and there...by that I mean I was on them for 6+ months, because deciding to go off them. There were a few different reasons. For one, they weren't helping me at all. Two, the side effects. I gained weight and my sex drive...GONE. I'm still trying to fix those two issues, but I'm scared that the Lexapro screwed up that stuff forever.

I also don't want to become dependent on them. My father has dealt with depression for most of his life and has been on Prozac or Paxil for as long as I can even remember. Can't go a day without them.

The last time I stopped taking them was because I lost my job and stuff...lost my health insurance. But had a summer almost free and clear of anxiety. I wasn't working, so I had zero stress. Recently started a new job and my stress level is back up again and here I am suffering during what should have been a nice weekend.

I actually no longer want to deal with SSRI's but want to talk to my doctor about taking something on a prn, as needed, basis. SSRI's took over my life and I was freaked out about them. Forget to take one?? And I was f'd up for days, even if it was only ONE DAY that I forgot to take it.

I don't think everyone has this same reaction to them, so I can't say whether or not others should take them. That's just my experience so far...

I agree 100% with what Sage said. Being that she is someone who treats people and has been throught it all herself, I think she has the most objective answer.

I have to admit, I get downright lit when i read posts like Shiva'sfirst responseand Babydoll's, so obviously I am biased one way like everyone else who posted here. I am one of the people who has been through two therapists, three doctors and about 25 self help books and the only thing that has got me back out into the world was my meds, and it was a last resort. No, I probably didn't try hard enough in therapy, but you know what? I am ok with being on meds, they help me, and therapy didn't. To be honest,I'm disappointed by therapy and I just don't have the energy to go out andwaste my time and moneytrying to find someone who can help me help myself. I want to live my life NOW.

I am NOT ok with other people telling me that my decision is wrong. Like Sage said, this is a decision to be made by a patient and their doctor ONLY. No one else can tell me what will work for me and what won't, and it absolutely infuriates me when people sem to think otherwise.

\"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

I struggled for years with anxiety and depression before finally starting Paxil cr... and it changed my life.

Meds aren't for everyone but for now, it's helping me get through an incredibly stressful time of life in med school. Therapy didn't help much, unfortunately... and yes, the meds helped with the emetophobia (though, they did CAUSE nausea for a while which absolutely sucked.)

This is an interesting topic to me- I am possibly going into psychiatry.

I was on a anti depressant , but it made me sick like a dog!

Just a question. For those of you who are on medication... Don't you worry about what is happening to your organs and your body? I do understand that emotional stress is also hard on our bodies, however, it doesn't seem to me that anyone on this board is able to avoid emotional stress with or without medication. We all seem to still have certain amounts of anxiety to deal with in our lives. That's natural, human beings are going to experience anxiety. To say that the stress we put ourselves through is worse than the stress the medications put our bodies through, in my opinion is a cop out. There are other ways to handle stress.

I am more and more becoming a skeptic of conventional medicine. When did it become the common mentality that if a doctor prescribes it, then it is safe? This is so not true. Why do we not question our doctors? And when did we become so fixated on bandaid cures? And what is up with that? I hear people saying that they want to live a decent quality of life, so they are going to take the meds. And in some cases, yes I believe that is neccessary. But in my opinion, trashing your body doesn't really fall under the category of having a decent quality of life. What is your life going to be like when you are diabetic and can no longer live on safe carb foods for emet? When your blood sugar is so messed up that you constantly feel like you are going to be sick? When you have to go into a hospital regularly to get blood drawn? And by now, they've taken you off the meds because they finally admit that the meds are damaging your body? Then you have to go through all of this with no coping skills because you've relied on meds? What are you going to do when you get cancer because of these meds- and you have to have chemo? Or, when your thyroid poops out and you have no energy and you are gaining weight uncontrollably?

I just really want to know if these are things people think about when deciding to stay on meds, knowing their risk. When I was on them, I was unaware of any health risks. I didn't question it. I was just a good little patient and took them like I was told. I hate myself for doing that. I went through such physical hell to correct my body's chemistry after these meds messed me up. I cannot imagine knowing what I know now and ever putting that s*** into my body. So, I would really like to understand it. And I am being sincere, not confrontational. It's hard to tell when people put words down like this, but this should not be read with any sort of tone or attitude. I seriously just cannot understand it.

\"This too shall pass\"

Shiva-

To answer your question, yes, I used to worry about possible physical side effects, but then I realized I don't need yet ANOTHER thing in my life to worry about thatin all likelihood will not seriously harm me. If Itried to controlevery little thing I breathe, consume, etc every day thatmight have toxic effects on my body, I would have to live in a bubble.

I know some people have had negative effects from years of anti-anxiety meduse, but until I see solid evidence that more than a tiny percentage of people are seriously debilitated from them, I will not worry. There is a chance of harm with any kind of medication, so I take it with a grain of salt.

To help you understand my feelings towards the "quality of life issue," I think of it like a cancer patient who has to undergo tons of chemo to prolong life. if I had to choose between ashorter but happierlifeor a longer life while feeling sick every day, you can bet I would choose the happier shorter life.Edited by: mjewell
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

Quote Originally Posted by shiva
    Just a question. For those of you who are on medication... Don't you worry about what is happening to your organs and your body?
    The possible harm the meds do to my body (and the risk is minimal, IMO) is far less troublesome to me, than the horrors of the anxiety I had.

I'm in med school- I have access to everything written about the meds I take... and I truly feel that antidepressants do not ultimately permanantly damage people. Do people react to them in negative ways, with psychoses, with ill symptoms? Sure. But the life-changing benefits they provide to so many people outweigh the possible risks.

Medicines are harmful sometimes. Most cancer chemo treatments have longterm effects on the body at this point (this is changing), as do some strong antibiotics. But without these drugs, people's lives would be cut short. In that respect, without antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds, many people's lives would be short-changed from the pleasures of the world.

It's quite a debate, yes?

I don't quite understand.It seems that everything is so black and white for those who are for medication. It's almost you are saying the only options are be in hell or be medicated. And I see a whole area of grey in the middle. I almost feel like our society is being brain washed into believing that the bandaid cure is the only way to find balance, health and happiness in this life. And that is very untrue.

I can't quite comprehend the 'the world is filled with toxins, so who cares if I add more to my body' mentality. That's something people say when they justify smoking cigarettes, and it makes no sense to me.

And, asher, I have also had at my disposal literature on prescription medication and I think we must have read two different books because it is definitely proven that anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and anti-anxiety medication is linked to problems with the endocrine system and the body's organs. Would you like to tell me what lithium and xanax do to a person's liver? Also, yes... chemotherapy is poisoning the body. Did you know that there are cures for cancer but there is too much of a pissing contest over the patent and money, so instead people just keep being injected with poison to cure their cancer.

My main point is that people can enjoy the 'pleasures of the world' without this stuff, but you never hear doctors telling their patients to eat healthy, excercise, work on relaxation, work through their depression, seek therapy or go off other medications which could be adding to their problems in the first place. Why? $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am currently working with a pharmacist who practiced for20 years as a conventional pharmacist and now specializes in bio identical hormones. I have had some very interesting conversations with him about medications. He rides the fence between being a natural practitioner and a conventional pharmacist. The things he has shared with me absolutely blew my mind. Of course our bodies are going to come into contact with toxins in this world, but why add more just becaus we don't want to work hard to be healthy? I don't understand it- I still cannot wrap my brain around this one.
    \"This too shall pass\"