Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by shiva

I don't quite understand. It seems that everything is so black and white for those who are for medication. It's almost you are saying the only options are be in hell or be medicated. And I see a whole area of grey in the middle. I almost feel like our society is being brain washed into believing that the bandaid cure is the only way to find balance, health and happiness in this life. And that is very untrue.
    Unfortunately for me, "hell or medication" was the only option. The many, many things I tried to quelch the anxiety didn't work. Of COURSE there are other things one MUST do to find balance, happiness, etc. But there are indeed people who have problems with their serotonin transporter gene (the locus has been identified but it's complicated) who are simply deficient in serotonin up and re-uptake... for these people, depression is an unfortunate reality.

And, asher, I have also had at my disposal literature on prescription medication and I think we must have read two different books because it is definitely proven that anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and anti-anxiety medication is linked to problems with the endocrine system and the body's organs. Would you like to tell me what lithium and xanax do to a person's liver?
    They metabolize in the primary lobular Spaces of Disse and... okay you probably don't want to hear the details. And, the point of anti-anxiety meds is pretty much to mess with your endocrine and nervous system...
    Did you know that there are cures for cancer but there is too much of a pissing contest over the patent and money, so instead people just keep being injected with poison to cure their cancer.
    Okay. With that statement, I surrender. Do you really believe that? I would love to know where this cure is!

My main point is that people can enjoy the 'pleasures of the world' without this stuff, but you never hear doctors telling their patients to eat healthy, excercise, work on relaxation, work through their depression, seek therapy or go off other medications which could be adding to their problems in the first place. Why? $$$$$$$$$$$$$
    What????? I have never, ever met a physician who DOESNT tell their patients these things, in order to treat their anxiety/depression. Do you live in the US? I'm not being sarcastic- I seriously am surprised you've never come across a dr. that does these things (though unfortunately I'm sure they exist.

Shiva, I respect your views and opinions, and I commend you for wishing to deal with issues anti-med. I'm not trying to argue, or singlehandedly turn your point of view. But this is a topic about which I am very, very well-versed and really believe that these meds, as well as most meds in general are a blessing to society. To me, the over-use of antibiotics is a much bigger threat to society, and the evolution of mankind.

I think this is becoming much like debating politics. Actually, it very much is political. Yes, many of the doctor's I had seen in the past were seriously just sitting there with their prescription pads out ready to earn some kick backs. When I went to see my primary care during the onset of my insulin resistance the only suggestion was glucophage, not excercise or a change in diet. A pill. So, I searched and searched for a doctor who didn't want me on this medication and finally I found one through my pharmacist. She told me to increase protein and do cardiovascular excercise like it's no one's business. Six months later I went in for a 4 hour glucose test and there were no longer signes of insulin resistance. I had to find a doctor who was willing to work with me without medication. That's messed up.

A friend of mine is on about 14 medications for her anxiety, fibromyalgia, depression, and ibs. I am not even kidding. 14! What are her doctors thinking? Finally she found a good therapist who is working with her doctors to get her off some of it and sending her to a chiropractor and the gym for some relief.

I see it all the time around me and I guess that's how I got so passionately about it. I am one of those people who get really upset when I see something corrupt with the world and this is something that I personally feel is really getting out of control.

I do understand that we all have our opinions and that's cool. The world would be a boring place if everyone thought like me. But, it still burns my ass when they dont! LOL!
    \"This too shall pass\"

As far as SSRI's go, they are relatively new to the market in comparison to other meds for mental illness. Therefore, I don't believe that everything is known about them that needs to be known. For example, only a few years ago, the FDA began to require the warning on the pills to say that they could increase the risk of suicide for adolescent patients. That was not known from the beginning, and it had to come out over time. The drug Serzone was removed from the market due to how it causes severe liver damage in some people. My sister was prescribed it back in 2001, but she wound up taking it for only 2 weeks, and she is so grateful that she decided it wasn't working for her, so she stopped taking it. Here's a link to an article that discusses it -- http://mentalhealth.about.com/od/psy...ology/a/serzon e504.htm.

My point is that I really don't think that we know enough about the long-term effects of the drugs to know if we should stay on them for decades or for the rest of our lives. Were SSRI's ever designed with the goal of being taken forever? I remember them being introduced as a short term solution to pulling someone out of depression.

And trust me, I am not criticizing anyone for taking meds. I have already said that I took them from 2001-2005, and they did help with my depression. I've just reached a place where I don't need them anymore. And I am skeptical about using them as a long-term solution except in very rare cases.

For me, it is black and white for one simple reason - IT WORKS. Shiva, your meds didn't work for you or for the people around you, so of course you aren't going to be in favor of them, but like you said, everyone is different and you can't generalize what's good and what's bad for everyone. Your bad experiences with doctors aren't necessarily everyone else's. My doctor is totally open minded and respecting of what i want to do. She has worked with me in the past on whatever kind of treatment path i felt was best for me. She didn't just "whip out her prescription pad." I had an hour consultation with her, telling her about everything going on in my life before she would even agree to treat me.

I do agree with japa that we don't know enough about the long term use of the meds, and I hope to God that I will getto a point eventually where I just don't need them anymore, whether it be through therapy or lifestyle changes - and I am working on it. But for now, meds work for me.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

I see a nurse practicioner for my general healthcare needs, and she is the one who prescribes me my antidepressants. She is not prescription-happy. I would not be going to her if she was. She takes the time to listen to me, and lets me take the lead in my health care. If I am hesitant to take a med for something, she will suggest other, non-pharmaceuical methods I can try first. I am not a person who likes to take meds. I will endure a headache for days before taking pain meds. I have let infections go dangerously long, taking homeopathic remedies, and trying to let my body beat it on its own, before finally giving in and getting a prescription for antibiotics. I share all this b/c I want you all to know I am not pill-happy. But I do feel that I need to be on my antidepressants right now. They have not fixed everything, and I have a lot of work to do on myself and my life before things can be even remotely healthy. But this is where I am at right now.

I have suffered with a severe chemical imbalance since I was 6 years old....was hospitalized for three months as a 6 year old, to try to determine what was going on. I was put on meds finally and things drastically improved. Nothing resurfaced until puberty when things got way out of hand again....and then I tried intensive therapy...which honestly did NOTHING for me.....at about 16 I was put on zoloft...and the world opened up to me again. However, I rebelled against meds when I was a teen and even into my 20's....I thought I should not need meds to make me 'normal'. My mom explained it to me like this....if you were diabetic and needed insulin, would you rebel against taking it?.....well, you have a chemical imbalance in your brain, and just because there may be a stigma attached to mental health issues, there is no difference in one or the other. It took me many years to actually adopt this attitude and I suffered greatly for it. I lost my mom 7 years ago and that threw me for a massive loop and I went even further downhill.....I did get therapy for that, and it helped a lot with my grief issues, but not my anxiety issues.

Anyway, last year, I was about to start a new career, which I despartely wanted to do and feel good about, and things spiraled out of control with my anxiety...I was a mess and virtually housebound. I started taking Celexa. much to my dismay, as I was so worried about the side-effects (which I might add, were horrible for the first month) but then I started to feel like a human being again and now things are going very well for me. I am a big proponent of meds if that is what you need....and with a genuine severe chemical imbalance, like I have....I feel this is my best option right now. I am not saying therapy would not be benefical as well....more for my phobia....but for anxiety....Celexa is my life-saver right now.

To each their own, I say.

I agree with to each their own, but I am just wondering how many people are making uneducated choices. I think that's what bothers me the most. If it was put out there kinda like cigarettes, with a 'this might completely screw up your endocrine system and make you suicidal and obese' warning, then I wouldn't at all have a problem with adults deciding to take the meds.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Ooo boy what a topic lol. I guess something like this is very much on an individual basis, and while the person makes decisions try and be as well informed as possible.

I personally feel that for those who have a chemical imbalance that nothing will really fix (because its something physically wrong with the brain), then its almost a must to be on something to live a normal life. My mom is like this, she has been on different meds for years and years.

I think tho that for those who need to get out of a rough patch (but don't have a chemical imbalance), then its a great thing, but is good to just get out of the rough stuff until you can find other non-medicinal methods to help.

I am personally pretty wary of meds in general, and prefer to try and deal with things without meds first, tho I do cave and take things like Imm AD and Ibprofin sometimes, I try not to. I would rather try and get myself eating better and excercising more and see where that gets me first (which I am just beginning to try and do), and also try and work through things by talking about them. This is just my view tho, and I can understand that many of us come at things like this from our own perspectives which are always really varied.

ETA: With emetophobia in particular, I try very hard to just use my own thought power to get me through rough parts, to try and calm myself down and talk myself through it rather than rely on something, even say pepto because that can become a crutch (it was for me for awhile). I do not look down on those who cannot do so without med help, because we are all at different phases with this, and some may need that help to get them going. Edited by: Galadriel

O.K., well I guess that I just can't let this thread die. But here is a link from an FDA press release from December 2005 -- yes 2005, not too long ago - about new studies linking Paxil to congenital heart defects in newborns. Now see, the issue that I have is that Paxil has been on the market since the 1990's, and this information does not come to light until 2005. This is exactly my point about how not enough research has been completed on the SSRIs, and we are only going to learn of all of their detrimental effects slowly over time. We just need to be aware I think that we are taking a risk when we take them. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of some of the more serious problems when I first started taking them. I wish I had known more or taken the time to research more.

This is the link:

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2005/NEW01270.html