Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

alright, this may sound ridiculous but... i've been putting off getting my
    wisdom teeth removed for the past six months because i'm afraid the
    anasthesia is going to make me v*. but now it's getting to the point where
    the tooth is like... ripping through the side of my gum and it MUST be taken
    out, and oh lord, it hurts soooo badly. monday morning i need to call and
    make an appointment.

i need some encouragement... how do i get through this?!

perhaps if you tell the doctors about your concerns they can give you an anti-emet to help. if it helps, i had all 4 of mine out and didnt feel in the slightest bit sick afterwards even though i was convinced id be sick.
    Angles

Pixie, I just got my wisdom teeth out in June, and I was scared too! You can actually get it done with just local anaesthetic - that's what I did, and two of mine were even impacted- and then you don't have to worry about the anasthesia making you sick. It's totally doable. PM me if you want any details! I never v*d. Hope that encourages you.

Oh yes, I just got numbed up, and didn't feel anything but some pressure in my mouth from then on out. I also got the gas, and oh my, if only i could walk around my daily life with that. Loved it. So no n* at all, no problems. Janna

OT, Janna, what's this "gas" that everyone always talks about? Is it the same as for childbirth "gas and air?" I have no idea what those mean lol!

Yeah about a year ago i had all four out and i was horrified but i got the
    general anesthesia and i never felt n* afterwards...it was really easy...i
    just looked like a chipmunk!
    ~viva~

ahh, thanks guys... good to know i'm not alone here!

Gas is nitris oxide, and its lovely. You breathe it in, and after about the third inhale, life is good, no fear, no pain, just floating around. The beauty of it is that once you stop breathing through your nose, you come down, so to speak. And then there is no after affects at all, you can drive home immediately and no n* at all. I was so scared of the dentist, and he offered me gas, and I took it, and was able to get through four crowns and an extraction just fine. Good stuff. My, I sound like a drug addict, I just love that stuff because its not going though your veins and it makes you forget just damn near everything.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] Janna

Hey good luck! I had my gallbladder out last year and had the same concern-actually i was terrified i would v*. Told the anesthesiologist(sp?)about it, he was very arrogant which didnt calm my fears, but took it into consideration. anyways, got the surgery, and when i woke up i felt great! no n*, no fear, just sleepy and pain free. got out the next day and went to olive garden! wish you the same, modern medicine has changed a lot!!

hey guys, i did it! and i didn't v*! i'd call that a triumph! and now i have fun
    happy pain pills and it's all good

Yey! Well done you! x
    *katy*
    I have removed my myspace address because of our little \"invasion\" but if you want to add me just send a pm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Good job!! Your mouth will thank you lol. I know its hard tho when you're really scared, you did very well!

thats interesting that you were scared of the numb stuff because i was
    too scared to get mine removed becaue of the pain medicine because when
    my sister took them she v* TONS after her teeth getting removed and it
    was so scary and gross...i was concerned that there was v* in the gapes
    in her teeth...

I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I feel very relieved reading the responses to this. My mother had cervical cancer and told me she had v* after this procedure they did to see more of what was going on. She also hates to v* and feel n*but I would not consider her to have this phobia. The second part, she had a hysterectomy. She told the nurse ahead of time that she was very ill and v* after the first procedure. She woke upafter the surgeryand didn't feel any n* at all!! So you all are right-I think we should all remember to warn whomever is treating us that we are emophobics and they can hook us up with an anti-emetic somehow ( I am guessing they do this via IV while the patient is recovering). I have always dreaded the thought of v* after surgery more than the thought of surgery itself..(lol)

It doesn't sound pathetic at all. I got mine out last march and I was freaking terrified of v*ing!
    I purposefully chose a place that was as close to my home as I could find so that I wouldn't have a long car ride afterward because if there's anything I hate more than v*ing, it's v*ing in public. You can't drive yourself home so I told my mom that I was bringing along a towel, and afterward she was to drive me right home....no arguments. I also I didn't eat or drink any water for 12 hours
    before the proceedure. I was so dehydrated that the surgeon had to
    stick me 7 times before he managed to get my IV into the vein. I didn't
    mind though, because I had started panicking and the pain was just
    enough of a distraction that I was able to stay still long enough that
    the gas had started to take effect and I had mellowed out.

When I woke up I was fine, just had a sore throat. I looked at my watch before I went under, and in the car I discovered that the entire thing had only taken 20 minutes.

I didn't have any anti-emetic drugs, but I also had sedation not general anesthesia. Sedation is basically where you go into an extremely deep sleep, and general anesthesia is the type which even stops your breathing and you have to be entubated. General anesthesia is the one that's notorious for causing nausea.
    I also was prescribed Vicodin afterward, and I eventually took it because I'd been having trouble sleeping. Well, it didn't help me sleep...instead it made me really edgy. I don't know if that was from the drug or from me being so freaked out that it would make me sick. It didn't, however. The general rule of thumb for narcotic painkillers is whatever you do don't take it on an empty stomach, so whenever I took one I'd take it with a cup of apple sauce.

I think you'll be fine, and just think about how after this you'll never have to worry about your wisdom teeth again. Trust me, once you recover you'll be glad you got this over with!

Edited by: chicajojobe

jeez im so glad ill never have wisdom teeth
    <3 So many pretty parts and no pretty wholes <3