Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey all,

Well as some of you may know I'm away for a week visiting in-laws and family a couple states away. We were visiting some friends of my husband's (well, they're now my friends too) and well we ate dinner there, and were talking and such and man I just got so tired and sick feeling and wanted so bad to run out of there (couldn't of course). I mean I like visiting them, but I just when I get real sick feeling get all panicky inside and its all I can do to sit there, and having to act like everything is fine in front of other people its really hard. I know its just because my guts act up on almost every trip, but man sometimes I honestly wish I never had to travel ever and could just stay around home where I know everything and feel safe, but of course I have to make myself. I just wish it were easier, I mean I know things could be a lot worse (I could have any number of worse things), and I try and tell myself that and it helps some, but then my guts start hurting and it all goes out the window. I mean I know most trips my guts are going to hurt, and its nothing really wrong, just ibs or whatever, but its like i always feel like its never going to go away or ruin the whole trip or never get better, but logically i know its not true.Argh now I'm rambling. I just sometimes wish it wasnt always such a mental struggle, especially seeing others who it doesn't affect them or bother them in the least. I guess I was wondering also if others experience this and how do you get through it? I mean its enough sometimes to make me want to refuse to travel for any long periods away from home, but I know in a way that is the "cowards way out" so I just try and get through it as best I can, but I always feel a lot better when we are going home. Edited by: Galadriel

I understand how you feel. I sometimes dread even going to a friend's house for dinner because what if my IBS acts up and all that. And when I am going to be away from home for more than a day or so I really freak. It's all nerves and it sucks.

Try to enjoy the trip as much as possbile. Maybe to keep the ibs in check, eat smaller and more frequent meals?

Hey, i know how you are feeling...I just got back from a beach trip with my friend, and of course, I start my period while there, and then the next day, i was sick as sick can be with my period....and it lasted until sunday night!!!!!!!!!! Very bad d and just feeling like death. The first day i was there i was very nauseas...so i know what you are going through. I always start feeling bad normally when i go off somewhere...it's like out brain automatically tells us it's "time" to be sick...so weird, and so very annoying. I am also coming down with a bad cold now...lovely, that my husband has and now my 12 yr old son has and is home today from school b/c of it. So, i just got over the stomach stuff, now i'm getting the head cold stuff...fun fun for me this week. I hope your trip goes well, and just hang in there, you'll make it....just think of me, and all my troubles, and maybe that will make you laugh
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Hey Kate and Marie,

Thanks for the replies. It does help to know others understand. I mean I know most likely most of the IBS stuff on trips is brought on by myself, because I always tend to go into not eating mode, or eat the bare minimum, which can mess up my guts, and then when I do eat I get real crampy and that can bring on nausea. Usually on trips like this to get through I just try my best to not think about it (which is hard), and I admit I tend to count the days till going home again. It would be nice to just have a trip where I can completely enjoy myself, its so hard to just chill enough to really have a good time because those thoughts of "what if I feel/get sick or ibs acts up bad" are constantly gnawing at the back of my mind. It definately makes it challenging. Thank you for understanding tho!

Man. Traveling just flat out BITES for me, and my emet's pretty
    mild--getting milder still as I work up through Sage's online
    hierarchy, but I still don't really want to leave home, even for a few
    days. Why? Because it seems like every time I go on a trip,
    I FEEL SICK THE ENTIRE TIME! And it ruins everything for me.

I made it to San Francisco and back--five days in glorious weather, the
    cutest little city you could ever hope to see, and only one relatively
    mild panic-related upset when I decided to try eating in a restaurant
    instead of holed up in my hotel room. For about five minutes, the
    walls seemed to close in on me as I sweat bullets and became more and
    more convinced that my thoughts of the dreaded deed were soon to become
    reality for me. But nothing happened, and a few minutes after I'd
    paid my check and was walking down the sunny street, I was fine.

I also made it through a four-hour flight, 24 hours of other people's
    mourning, and a four-hour flight back home with only some vestiges of
    anxiety.

And then the trip to New York...another very, very short trip, but I
    felt nauseous upon nauseous from the night before I left until I got on
    the plane to come home. So nightmarish.

I think I have separation anxiety. I just don't like to leave
    home, and when I do, I don't have all that great a time. I have a
    cat, you see, who's like my baby. And when I'm away from him,
    well, I worry about him and want to be back home with him!

Anyone else here a fellow introvert who prefers being alone with a good
    book, DVD, or TV program than in the company of others????