Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Two Questions

Okay I two questions, one isn't Emet related and the other is, so I thought I'd put it here.

First Question: Is it possible to all of a sudden HATE a food that you normally eat because it's too salty? I mean it's weird, I have eaten at Arby's like once a week for six or seven months and today I had a sandwich and it was just WAY too salty for me! Which is weird because I've never noticed that before.

Second Question: Every time I cough, even if it's just a little cough, I gag. I don't know what's wrong with me and it's scaring me out of my mind because I'm a smoker and I cough a lot, but now I'm afraid to cough! I don't want to vomit and I hate gagging, and I don't know what to do. Anyone else have this problem?

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Anyone? Really? Anything would be appreciated.

~Monica

Thanks guys, really.

~Monica

Quote Originally Posted by samara's on tv

Okay I two questions, one isn't Emet related and the other is, so I thought I'd put it here.

First Question: Is it possible to all of a sudden HATE a food that you normally eat because it's too salty? I mean it's weird, I have eaten at Arby's like once a week for six or seven months and today I had a sandwich and it was just WAY too salty for me! Which is weird because I've never noticed that before.

Second Question: Every time I cough, even if it's just a little cough, I gag. I don't know what's wrong with me and it's scaring me out of my mind because I'm a smoker and I cough a lot, but now I'm afraid to cough! I don't want to vomit and I hate gagging, and I don't know what to do. Anyone else have this problem?

~Monica

Hey Monica,

About your first question, maybe they really did put too much salt in it this time. Also yea its possible to not like something anymore even if you've eaten it a lot, sometimes you can get "burned out" on things if you eat it too often.

Your second question, hmm, have you always gagged when you cough or is this a recent development? I tend to only gag if I really cough hard, but maybe if you are concentrating on it more, its causing it to happen more often? I bet when you are coughing your throat tenses up, because you're thinking "man I hope I dont gag" and because its tensing it could easily be causing you to gag easier than you normally would. Sometimes even not coughing my throat will get all tense and its like it gets real gaggy feeling, but then it passes and I'm ok. Next time you cough try and relax your thoat and this may help.

If your food tasted too salty it probably was. I've found that in pre-made foods they can differ quite a bit in taste. I buy a cous cous salad ever week from the supermarket and some weeks it's really garlicky and other weeks not. I also used to love a particular brand of veggie sausage and baked beans in a can, then one day when I came to eat them the sausages tasted vile - they had obviously tried to improve on the recipe and added something I didn't like as I have never liked them since.

Regards the coughing, do you have a lot of muccus on your chest? - if I have a chesty cough after a cold sometimes muccus needs spitting up and it will sometimes get kind of stuck which can make you want to gag.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Hey Monica,

I can't really help you on the food issue, I suppose I do have certain foods that I used to love, and ate them LOADS, to the point that i got sick of them and couldn't bare the sight or thought of them, (egpeanut butter & jam/jelly on toast)but then after avoiding them for a while I could face them again.

Regarding the gagging thing - I don't have a gaggy cough, but my ex-boyfriend and his sister both do. Sometimes my ex would cough a few times and then even be sick from his gagging - I used to absolutely DREAD IT every time he coughed. As Galadriel asked, is it a new thing or have you always had a gaggy cough?

Thinking about it now, my niece has a gaggy cough (my sister smokes a lot around her kids) and i've seen her V* from her cough before. Don't mean to scare you, just saying that maybe some people just have coughs like that?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Don\'t regret the things you have done - regret those that you haven\'t!

Hi Monica,

On the first question, sometimes I notice that food that I normally think is okay, tastes really salty and I just can't eat it. I guess our taste buds get a bit weird from time to time. And Arby's could have added some extra salt.

One the second question - I can relate to what you are saying as I never used to gag when I coughed, unless it was really bad and then as soon as I thought I might gag I scared myself into stopping. But I had a bad chest infection last year and it gave me a terrible cough and I gagged constantly, it got to the point where I wasn't scared anymore about gagging, I just had to go with it. And even when I was gagging really badly, I never v*, justmade that awful retching noise.After the cough cleared up, I thought I was fine, but a year on I still gag now whenever I cough. Even a small cough and I feel I am going to gag. It doesn't scare me as it used to, I just think it sounds bad to other people who are nearby. I know now that I can gag really badly and I won't v*.

As Galadriel says, it could be that you are really tense and worrying about it happening. I used to be terrified of gagging, but after last year I can cope with it as I know I won't v*.

Hope that helps, M x

The gagging with the coughing is very recent, and there's a lot of phlegm behind it, I really hate it, maybe I should stop smoking....LoL Of course I should. But thanks for the responses, I'm going to talk to my doctor about it in a few weeks and I'll let you guys know what happens.

~Monica

I bet your doctor will try and persuade you to give up smoking! It would be great if you would consider it, we could make a special post for supporting anybody trying to give up - like the weightloss one. Two of my friends, one a chain smoker and the other a smoker for 25 years gave up smoking last year, and have done so well - I'm really proud of them. They had the help of a support group and nicoteen patches.

Maybe this gagging with coughing is the push you need to try and give up the ciggies!

Anyway I'm not preaching, I just like to give gentle encouragement! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Monica...I don't know you very well, but I was wondering if it's possible that you could be pregnant? That would account for the food tasting really salty and the gagging. I know when I was pregnant, I would gag everytime I had to brush my teeth.
    Maria

I smoked from when i was 14 until about 6 months ago- and i was having the same problem as you-gagging when i coughed. And also when i woke up in the morning- it was awful.

Ever since i gave up i've felt so much better and haven't gagged since. So i hate to say it cos the whole process of giving up can be hard-but it's probably the ciggies. It was easier for me just because i was feeling so sick- so it could be a good time for you as well if you're thinking of quitting. Trust me- life without cigarettes is so much better!

Kayla

Last summer, I had that same problem for a few weeks. I didn't know what was going on. I smoke too, and I never gagged from a cough before. But I would cough to the point where I couldn't even speak. The only thing that helped relieve the gaggy feeling was syrupy soda, like Coke or Dr. Pepper. Looking back, I think I may have had bronchitis or something. It really sucked. But I haven't gagged from a cough since.

1st Question --- The food could have honestly been too salty. I just started working at a fast food resturant and trust me, it is really easy to over salt something. Each batch is different, however they usually try and keep it regulated. I wouldn't freak out over one time of something tasting too salty.

2nd Question - Coughing can triggerthe gag reflex, as it does mine sometimes, especially when I cough really deep or have phlegm come up due to my allergies. The physical act of coughing is separate from V*, but it can trigger the reflex to gag, which can then trigger you to V*. Excessive coughing also triggers my nausea, which then triggers my gagging, which has the potential to trigger V* - yet I haven't V* in over 15 years!
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --