Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

But i'm holding back because i'm afraid of getting sick on the plane..
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dude- have you ever gotten airsick before? or travelsick of any kind? If you haven't before, what makes you think all of a sudden now you will be? Air travel is actually the medium least likely to make you ill- it's a lot smoother than bus or car, and you also have more things to distract you with (read, watch a movie, walk around, etc). You can also make sure to have plenty of ginger ale and plain crackers with you, that help to settle upset stomachs.

Don't miss out on a fabulous trip because of this- you will only regret it later. That, and if you punk out this time, it will only make it harder the next time you want to go somewhere, because it reinforces the idea that travelling should be avoided, and creates a precedence for more avoidance in the future.

goodluck,

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OOooh do go! I went to Maui 6 years ago and it was amazing! I'm going to Oahu in a few weeks and I can't wait. Wow, Maui is totally worth the worry on the plane, believe you me! Would you be flying with a friend/family member who can calm you down and reassure you? I hope you go and have a great time! Let us know what you decide!

Lucky you!! Maui! I would love to go there!

I'm a flight attendant (yes, an emetophobic flight attendant!!) and take my word for it, it's extremely rare to get airsick. In my 3+ years flying I've only had around 10 passengers v*, and a few of those were drunk. And that's flying over 3 years up to 30 flights a week.
    If you're worried about it, take a Dramamine beforehand, try to sit near the wings of the plane (it's smoother there), and make sure your air vent is on and directed towards you. When the cabin is cool, no one gets ill. The Dramamine will also relax you and make you kind of sleepy, and you won't be worrying the whole flight about getting ill. Distract yourself with music or books.
    Like Amber said, don't miss out on an amazing trip because of this--I'm horribly emetophobic but I love flying and my job and I won't let this fear stop me.
    Hope this helps you!

Wow thanks guys! I know I really should but i'm just so scared ..

It doesn't help that I feel sick right now too ..
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

lizzo - I went to Maui in 2003, and I still daydream about moving there. Don't torture yourself like this with your emet. Go have life experiences. The thought of your not going makes me feel very sad for you. Don't let a phobia rule your decisions.

lizzo ..... GO, you will have a great time, dont let this phobia win this time. I have flown and been on a cruise and I would do both again given the time and money to go!!!! Seriously GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!