Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I hope this is in the right area. Anyway, I was just surfing around on Wikipedia a few months ago, and somehow ended up in the phobia topic. When I saw emetophobia- fear of V*, I was very curious. Well, it seemed like they wrote it about me. I was stunned. I woundup on emetonline and I felt so relieved to hear stories from real people. I wasn't alone anymore! As helpful as it was to know I wasn't alone, it didn't change the fear.

I started my sophmore year of highschool at a new school in August. It's a great school and I love my teachers but I'm really struggling with this phobia. For example, during my homeroom, some girl mentioned that something "was going to make her puke." She went on to say how sick she felt. I felt dizzy and hot, and I almost ran for the door in a desparate attempt to escape when I realized she was just messing around. Even though I knew she was fine, it threw me off for the rest of the day. I was frusterated with myself. Every time someone coughs in class I worry that they might gag and be ill. I can't concentrate if I have to sit by the trashcan. The hallways are carpeted at my school and I can't help but stare at the stains. Any time I hear that a janitor is called to the office I can feel my stomach turn. I am terrified about dissections in Bio. because I am just convinced that someone will be squicked into v*. I don't know what to do anymore. Everytime I hear someone saw ew or nasty or anthing along those lines, I freeze. I'm almost sure that means someone was s*. If anyone has any coping ideas that would be great! I'm just at my wits end. I would really appriciate any input. Thanks so much for reading.

Hey! I'm Anya, i'm a junior.

About school, my floor is carpeted too, and i just try not to look down, lol. With bio i actually ended up telling my bio teacher, and she said that if you were squeamish you could do the labs without actually doing the dissection, because she didn't want anyone puking in her classroom. Also about people that say that they will v*, usually people are joking around, but if they aren't they generally go to the nurse. I mean, why be in class if you dont need to?

If yo uhave any questions, just ask. and welcome!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

NewSlang, I swear that sounds exactly like me. It's amazing how similar emet's experiences are. Staring at the stains on the floor, afraid to be near the trashcans... when I was teaching my first two years I was in a classroom that had carpet. There was a big stain on the floor, and I swear I stared at that stain for two years, wondering, is that a barf stain? I hope things get better for you.

Hello new.slang ^^

I'm Wing, and I'm a Senior in HS so I can relate to you there (except the carpet ^^) I hate when people do that. Coughing also makes me panic. I nearly jumped atop my chair once when I was a sophomore. ^^;; It's funny when I look back at it but wasn't funny then xD.

Anyway. Like they said above, if you need any reassurances/questions answered, post. Welcome.
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

Hi New.slang: welcome to the site. I also remember feeling EXACTLY the way you describe when I was in high school. Please feel hopeful when I say that I don't have any fear anymore and never think of those things. If you go to the Treatments section of this discussion forum at the top there are lots of sticky posts that will help you get over this phobia or get help. Please feel free to ask questions on the Q&amp;A section as well.

Take care!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you guys so much for your replies! It's so nice to know when things get hard, I have people that will help and understand. Oh and, Anya, I love your ava. I used to do hunter/jumper. Well I tried dressage...but...no deal. [img]smileys/smilies_31.gif[/img]

speaking of avatars - what on earth is yours about? it looks kind of...inappropriate, perhaps.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Many, may years ago, when I was in the 6th grade, there was a rash of vomiting in the classroom. It didn't actually take place IN the classroom, but people were running out to the restroom. I had a panic attack, but didn't know that's what it was at the time. I went hom sick that day too, and I never went back to 6th grade again! I ended up not returning to school until the second semester of 7th grade. I was institutionalized and nobody ever caught on that I was emetophobic. I was only 11, so how could I have known? The stain thing still bothers me, no matter where I am!

For most of my life school was very difficult to stick with, because I was always too worried that I'd get sick or someone else would. Even in college! I took a drug called anafranil for 3 years in my late 20s/early 30s, and I could finally finish college. After that, I noticed my phobia wasn't quite so bad. For example, while I still feel as though I would rather die than vomit, I can actually say the word vomit now. I can also watch something like the series "Little Britain," in which there's a recurring vomit sketch and I actually laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by sage
    speaking of avatars - what on earth is yours about? it looks kind of...inappropriate, perhaps.

I suppose it is. It's just a still from the movie Secretary though. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Thanks about the avatar! I am an eventer, so i do jumping, cross country, AND dressage, lol.

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!