Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Your Passion

Have you ever had something in your life that you were completely passionate about, yet you were always afraid to pursue it? Fear or insecurity got in the way, not necessarily emet related--but you felt that your deepest dreams were unrealized?

I have always loved music. For eight years, I played the trumpet. It gave me a lot of joy, after I got over the whole "band geek" stigma. It took me until my sophomore year of high school before I finally said, "Screw what other people think. I want to play my heart out and be good at this!" And so I did. I was the second-best trumpet player, out of 35 in my entire band, my senior year.

I loved playing the trumpet, but what I love to do more than anything, is sing. When I am all alone, I close all the windows and doors, turn on my favorite radio station or CD and sing my heart out. When I was 13, someone told me I had a horrible voice, and since then, I've been too scared to sing in front of anyone, or play my instrument solo. I was so scared of being judged.

Now, as an adult, I've gotten over some of my juvenile fears. I am an animated person by nature, and love to perform. Mostly, I just like being the center of attention. I get to be who I like to be, only magnified. Weird, huh?

I have done karaoke a few times as an adult, and have gotten compliments on my singing. That makes me feel great. I have such a passion for it! I would love to take voice lessons. I don't want to be a famous singer or anything, but I would like to be able to sing well enough to peform in clubs, bars, or just family gatherings. I LOVE MUSIC!

Anyone else have a passion they really want to pursue, but were too afraid to try? Maybe we can boost each other up! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey Heather that is awesome!!

Hmm, to be honest I'm not sure what my passions are, maybe I still have to discover them.

I have always been fascinated by history, especially like American and European. I love to read books about events in history that catch my interest, and man it would be so cool to travel back in time lol (I know that that can never be acheieved), but Ive thought it would be neat to work in like a living history museam or something. I dont think I could tho because they usually have guns, and I am terrified of loud noises. Id also fear ibs/emet getting in teh way too, but if I didnt have these fears/worries I think that would be really neat thing to do.

I love history too! Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong generation.I "miss" the times of innocence and love of old---families seemed stronger then. Plus, I just love everything old-fashioned. Antiques and archaic phrases just fascinate me. Not to mention, a good old-fashioned romance novel, set in the early 1900s. Native American history also intrigues me, and I enjoy learning about my heritage. History and the arts rock! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aw, good on you HDogg! I say go ahead, get out there and follow your dream [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]think how great you'll feel, getting to do somehting you love! And Galadriel, don't let emet or IBS stop you - you might even find that pursuing something you truly want will lift some of your fears or worries.

My passion has always been drawing. My father is an artist, and ever since I can remember I've been scribbling away on paper. Recently, I've started to digitally colour my work, and I'm improving in leaps and bounds as far as drawing the human form goes. I've never been too big on landscapes - I'm more interested in cartooning and capturing character's expressions. Which is why recently I've decided that after I've finished my 3 year media degree, I'm going to do a course in visual arts and animation! It'd be my dream to work in a huge production studio or something, or perhaps illustrate for children, or something. So, I'm gonna aim for that!
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

My passion right now is human rights issues- more specifically, the situation faced by people who are currently incarcerated, and who most people view as society's rejects and undesirables. I currently volunteer with two organizations that address this, and am conducting research with the end goal of showing that prison, as a rehabilitative tool, just doesn't work. Also, that prison as "punishment" also doesn't work because it just further isolates, marginalizes, and degradespeople- it's a one step forward two steps back kinda solution.

With what I know now and my experiences, if I didn't do any work in regards to this, I would feel really inadequate. For me, to just see some of what goes on and go "well, it doesn't affect me directly" and head back home to my cushy apartment is just not an option.

My other passion is writing- hence my usually long-winded explanation of events (see above, lol). I try to segue this into other places in my life (school, work, etc), but also have been known to crank out occasional stories and poems. I have actually had my poetry published twice- but it's been a loooong time since I have had a spare moment to work on anything new. Eventually, I want to make getting some of my non-academic work published a priority.

Of course, when I will actually have time to do so will likely be years from now.....still looking at another 4-6 years of post-secondary education *sigh*

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

My passion is writing- poetry and fiction. For the last six months i've been working on a novel- it's a story from my past. Unfortunately i don't have as much time to work on it as i'd like- so if it ever does get published it won't be for about a decade![img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

I guess the thingthat's closest to my heart is helping others. I'd love to work in an underpriviledgedcountry overseas for a few years. I'm scared to do something like that though because i need alot of security in my life and it would be very far out of my comfort zone... But i hope i can find the strength to pursue it after i finish my degree.

Kayla

My biggest passion are animals. I just love being around them - the more the merrier. My dream is to win the lottery and be able to buy a small holding to fill with animals! Or open an animal sanctuary.

My anxieties and phobias have stopped me doing things in life. One of the most major was going to university. After taking my A levels I went on to a foundation course in Art and design at our local college, then was supposed to go onto study art university. However battling with agorophobia, emet, anxiety and depression (made worse because I'd recently lost my mum)I didn't feel able to travel to the nearest city or move away to university. So I just drifted and ended up in an office job.

Another thing I was passionate about before all the anxieties set in through adolecence was acting and performing. I used to be in all the school plays at junior school and was in the choir for a couple of years at secondary school. Then it all stopped and I would shake at the mere thought of performing in front of anyone. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

.•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

HI ya

I also used to play the trumpet in a marching band (Drum Corps) when I was younger until I was about 19 (I am now 41!). I do miss those days and wish I could do it all again, but I do wish I had carried on playing the trumpet. I did have a little go a few years ago and probably with lots of practice could do it again. My brother keeps looking out for trumpets to buy for me - maybe I should just let him!!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Follow your dream!

I don't know if this fits, but one thing that I would like to be passionate about, but can't because of my anxieties is humanitarian work. I would love to travel to Central America and Asia and help people. I would have loved to help in New Orleans, or just do small things in my area such as volunteer with kids or at homeless shelters. But, my anxieties really do keep me from embarking on such endeavors. I recently looked into a trip to El Salvador with a group of people who are going in the spring, but I just don't think I could handle that right now. I am panicking about going to California for a week.

My wish for us all would be to follow our dreams, regardless of the discomfort. We all deserve whatever it is that we want from this life. This is our one time here as us. I say whatever it is you are passionate about, do your best to be that.

\"This too shall pass\"

My passion is animals. I love everything about them, and what I want to do more than anything is start a rescue. Whee people who wanted to get rid of there animal, whether it be a dog, cat, horse, snake....anything, I would take care of it, until it could be adopted out, and if it never was, I would keep them until they passed. But I know the only way this dream would work is if I came into a large sum of money, and this isn't happening anytime soon!!

My passion is human rights, alot the same as ambers but I stretch all over the world, I work with people from all over the world, from the USA to people in Thailand, now nope this doesnt include traveling its mostly in letter writting,campaigns,charity work, book drives, medical supplies,petitions, things that they despratley need but in most places over in Thailand do not get, and cant without payment, ect..

Also im penpal writter to about 10 guys around the world and one on death row in Texas, its hard emotional and can be upsetting to hear when there very down, but when you get letters back letting you know that you have brightened up there day because one person have realised they needed some help, support or just a shoulder to lean on and they have been smiling because of this, its very rewarding!!

I know not alot of people agree with writting to prisoners but thats life huh, I dont condone there crimes, but I respect the ones who admit it and are pushing through there time and paying there debt to society.

Poetry and writting short storys is also another huge passion of mine, Ive been published twice, but trying to get a third *fingers crossed*

Id love to travel to Texas and visit one person I write to and Thailand, but it will take years to pluck up the courage to do it unfortunetly

Edited by: violet

I have so many passions....my creativity and talents in music and the arts (writing, drawing/painting, singing), animal rights, as well as my lifelong career dream to be a killer whale trainer at sea world. I know there's no way I'd be able to achieve the last passion without 8 years of education at a specific college (which would cost me more than I could ever afford over those 8 years). As for the first one, I've been playing guitar and drums since I was 10 years old. I've gotten a lot better at playing drums, but my guitar skills leave a lot to be desired, I know I could take lessons but I've always wanted to learn on my own. I can play maybe two songs,and they sound terrible!

I used to work in an animal hospital, before my first child was born, and I loved it. I also volunteered at the local humane society, but had to stop, because it made me too depressed, seeing how all these animals get thrown away by their owners.
    Before I had my kids, I wanted to become a veterinary technician. I have my veterinary assistant certificate, but techs get to do so much more, and get better pay. It unfortunately is not attainable at this time, b/c there are only two schools that offer the program in my state, and they are both way too far away for me to attend. maybe someday...

It's really cool to read about everyone's passions! I'm not too afraid to pursue my passion, I just wouldn't know where to begin or what to do to help. But I am very passionate about youth rights - espescially concerning compulsory schooling. I don't agree with forcing students into schools, I think it does a lot of harm to a lot of people. So many schools seem very messed up, they are just not healthy places for children to be spending so much time in (espescially when they did not choose to go there in the first place!). I believe schools can work for some people, but definitely not everyone. Also, I think the set-up of compulsory schooling is really strange (the fact that schools are supposed to "educate" students but really they just teach conformity and obedience to students - so that the students can grow up and do jobs [with or without a passion for their work] in order to keep the economy in stable condition). I would absolutely love to do something for youth rights/alternative schooling/education law/ending compulsory schooling as a career, I just have no clue where to even get started. And I apologize if this doesn't make sense, it's really late for me!

Its neat to read how many of you have really interesting things you are passionate about that could really change things.

My passions are ballroom dancing and teaching.

I'm German and my family has been members of a German organization for 45 years. I have been dancing in dance groups there since I was 18 months old and continue to this day (28 years later!). My dad was my dance teacher and taught our youthgroup for 37 years. My parentseven met there. For the rest of my life, I know when I hear German music I will feel happy. My specialties are Viennese waltz and polka, but I can pick up all dancing very easy. I love dancig so much that when I got engaged, one of the first things I decided on was what song I would dance with my Dad to! We are magic together.

Teaching is something that I love more than anything. Not everyone can say that they decided what they wanted to be when they were 9 years old! I think that it is the only thing for me. I got the following e-mail from a fellow teacher and I think is explains how I feel about my vocation:
    WHAT TEACHERS MAKE

Thedinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life.One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem witheducation.He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best optionin life was to become a teacher?"

He reminded theother dinner guests what they say about teachers:
    "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."
    To stress his point he said to anotherguest,

"You're a teacher, Susan.Be honest.What do you make?"

Susan, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make?
    "I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
    I make a C+ feel like the winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor.
    I make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute silence."

"You want to know what I make?
    I make kids wonder.
    I make them question.
    I make them criticize.
    I make them apologize and mean it.
    I make them write.
    I make them read, read, read.
    I make them show all their work in math and perfect their final drafts in English.
    I make them understand that if you have the brains, and follow yourheart, and if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you must pay no attention because they just didn't learn."

Susan paused and then continued."You want to know what I make?

'I MAKE A DIFFERENCE.'What do you make?"

happyteacher