Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Wow...I don't feel so alone anymore!

My name is Melanie. I am 23 years old and I am DEATHLY afraid of throwing up! I have not thrown up since I was in the 6th grade....actually I take that back...I had the dry heaves in the 6th Grade...I haven't ACTUALLY thrown up since I was in the 4th grade....but ever since then I have been afraid of it.

I would miss a lot of school when I was young because I was always afraid of throwing up in school (which I did once - 3rd grade- playground). Anytime I ever had the "stomach flu" I would throw up during the night so I was afraid to go to sleep because I always thought I would wake up getting sick.

It went away in my teen years and it didn't bother my all through high school.

It's back now and with a vengence!!

My friend was killed by a drunk driver at the end of July....then a few weeks later I got a bad cold...started feeling nausious...then my grandma died suddenly 2 weeks ago..I have feelings of nausea EVERY DAY since all this started. I am afraid to leave my house because I am afraid I am going to get sick somewhere other than home. It's hard for me to work (I haven't missed a day) but I am just beside myself when I am there. I never throw up...I haven't even gagged but it's affecting my performance at work, I never want to go anywhere or do anything!!

Is anyone else out there like this??? Please help! Edited by: 1scareddj

I am so sorry that you;ve had such a terrible summer. My thoughts are with you and I know that sounds trite, but really, I am very sorry.

My guess is the n* (we abbreviate here because some people are "triggered" by the actual words) is being caused by stress and grief.

Do you have a therapist or access to one? Do you have anyone to talk to?

OH!! I didn't know why I kept seeing V* n* etc!! I am so sorry to anyone that reads my post!! I feel terrible! Thank you for telling me!

Thank you also for your kind words. I have a counselor that I go but I have never told him about my phobia! What should I do?

My mom is really the ONLY one who has been able to make me feel better when I felt N*.....I can only talk to her so much ya know? She doesn't FULLY understand like I am hoping you all do! Thank you for having me here! I am so glad I found this place!Edited by: 1scareddj

Sage has a thread here: http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=1925&am p;PN=1

It's something to print out to give your therapist. Not all therapists are created equally and not all are well versed on this phobia. The article above might help your therapist undestand.

Wow! Thank you!! I read the whole thing!! LOL I am so glad I found this place. I have been doing a lot of reading of everyone's stories...I am so relieved that I am not the only one out there afraid of something like this!!!!

We are all in this together!! I will not judge ANY of you for anything! I feel EXACTLY the same as you all do!! Thank you for being here for me and for everyone else! I didn't realize there were so many people as scared or more scared of this than I am!!!

*BIG HUG*

Welcome, Melanie! I'm sorry for your losses. I hope you find the support you need here.