Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello Sage,
    I was in work today and felt really nauseas (well from girl stuff) and I was just thinking to myself, I wondered how say like you handle that sort of thing now that you aren't afraid of v*ing? Like for instance i handled feeling that way by just trying to engross myself in what I was doing to try and take my mind off it, and kept thinking "usually this stuff goes away and it'll be ok" and stuff along with "man please don't let me be sick at work!" , and it did go away. I just wonder what things do you think when you feel nauseas say in a situacion like that. Do you think "well this sucks but who cares if I v*? Do you feel at all panicked a little at first?" I guess I'm basically just wondering how someone who has gotten over this how your thought pattern is when in this situacion.
    Thanks

That's a really good question. I guess I "handle it" like everyone else does, so it's sort of a general ask-anybody question. Okay...so I just asked my daughter and my husband and they're the same as me...we don't know what we think! ha ha

I don't think we think anything. What's your thought process if you know you're getting an ingrown toenail or something? (lol - I don't know what to compare it too...something that's not so nice, but it's just a "s**t happens" sort of event - I dunno)

I'm not being much help I guess - sorry!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by sage

That's a really good question. I guess I "handle it" like everyone else does, so it's sort of a general ask-anybody question. Okay...so I just asked my daughter and my husband and they're the same as me...we don't know what we think! ha ha

I don't think we think anything. What's your thought process if you know you're getting an ingrown toenail or something? (lol - I don't know what to compare it too...something that's not so nice, but it's just a "s**t happens" sort of event - I dunno)

I'm not being much help I guess - sorry!
    Hmm, well do you ever think like "oh crap man I dont feel good" or anything? I tend to think that even with like say getting a cold or something. Do you ever have to be like "oh Im not scared of this anymore" and then like just dismiss it or something?

I did ask my husband what he thinks (a non emet too), and he said when hes out in public and stuff or at work and if he starts feeling real nausea he gets initially a bit panicked feeling because he says he doesn't want to v* in front of anyone just cause its kind of humiliating.
    Edited by: Galadriel

I don't panic if ever I would feel sort of nauseous. The only time my panic spikes up temporarily is the time when I was absolutely about to throw up any minute. I panicked for ...I dunno....60 seconds to 3 minutes, tops, then got sick, then went "oh gee...that was really nothing". That's it. A once-every-20-years thing. The other nauseous feelings, gas, upset tummies, etc. are just ....whatever they are. There's no panic involved.

If I was out in public and felt REALLY sick and was trapped away from a bathroom I would be anxious, I'm sure. But that's a pretty rare occurence, I would think.

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Hey Sage,
    Yeah my husband says he doesn't get panicked feeling unless say he's out in public and doesn't want to v* in front of anyone. Sounds like how your response is also. If he gets sick feeling at say home he just says he feels bad but it doesnt involve any panic or anything or fear feelings.

I also wonder do you have to do any like erm "mental self talk" when you feel nauseas anymore, or is it now like an automatic thing where you just dont feel scared at all and dont even have to like "talk yourself" through it like "its okay I'm not going to die or anything, this will pass", you know things like that. Lol sorry I'm asking so many questions, I guess I just was curious to see how your response to feeling sick differs from ours (as emets).

no, I don't have to do any of that self talk at all. I used to, for sure. I really do remember it. What a huge output of energy, eh? Lots and lots of mental energy and emotional energy used up in such things. I have a lot more time on my hands now ...lol

I think that the best news and idea behind this thread is that when you get cured, you really don't care anymore. You don't panic, you don't have to talk yourself down. It's just not an issue. Most of us can't imagine that, but that's how it would be.

All the more reason to rid ourselves of this phobia.