Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I see a lot of you posting about anti-emet meds....what are they? Like names, I guess is what I am looking for...I don't know of any...I have never taken anything besides Immodium and pepto bismol to relieve an icky tummy...please help!! I may need some anti emet meds!

There are antiemetics, which are meant to prevent vomitting, or anti-anxiety meds, which are meant to reduce the anxiety (and likely the resulting nausea).

If you are going to your doctor's tomorrow, if it's just your GP,you should ask to be referred to a psychologist that specializes in anxiety disorders (or that is willing to work with someone with an anxiety disorder). Just being put on meds, antiemetics or otherwise, won't solve the problem. That, and there isa possibility that you can become dependent on antiemetics- which can not only affect your system physically, but can make you start to think that you NEED them or else you will be sick- when the nausea you are feeling is really due to anxiety.

It's best that you ask your doctor any questions relating to medications- they will be able to give you clearer answers, and make the determination if you actually require them. This board is great- but to my knowledge, the only person qualified to give advice relating to meds is Sage (the resident head-shrinker, lol).

Have you checked out other areas of the treatment forum? Things like cognitive behavioural therapy and exposure therapy can really help you work on the underlying anxiety, and can gradually get you to the point where it is practically nonexistant.

With drugs, they are really just a bandaid- as soon as you stop taking them, the anxiety/nausea will come back. With other forms of treatment, you can address the root issue, and work towards more permanent solutions.

Goodluck tomorrow with your doctor- I hope everything goes well!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.