Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I really would love for my 2 1/2 year old to start going to daycare. I think he needs to start being around other kids etc. My question is to those of you who have children in daycare, do your kids get sick a lot? I am so worried about that...I know they are kids and sooner or later I am going to have to face the sv but I don't know if I am ready to face it now!!!
    Christi
    *^**^***^****^*****^******^**
    Proud Mommy to Zachary

They need to be social just like us adults..i would say daycare...but
    maybe make yourself comfertable and just start part time. find a
    facility you think is clean...yes they will get sick..but they dont
    have to get every little thing in order to be healthy later in life.
    plus make sure you like the people who work there and that your child
    is happy there...if they arent dont send them back..find a new place.
    my mom has a daycare in her home of usually about 6 kids under 3...and
    if a sickness is going around usually they all get each others cold
    from putting things in their mouths...but sv* dont happen that much at
    her work....once a year usually... and last time it happened the kids
    lived in the same house...which is why i think they both got sick...
    just keep in mind that sv* are not air boure you have to ingest some v*
    particles or poop in your eyes, nose or mouth to get sick...so even if
    your son does get sick it doenst mean you will as long as you wash your
    hands before you eat and after you go to the bathroom. just remember
    that v* can spray particles, so just clean up and wash your face good.
    i think daycare is a good thing especailly if you have a choice in
    weather they have to go or want to go.
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

As scary as it is, i think kids need to be socialized at a fairly early age....that's just my opinion...and like you said, they are going to get sick no matter if they are in daycare or not...so they will be alot happier and well adjusted by being around other children...this is just my opinion and my experience....
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Hi there!
    I agree with the other posts--you should put your child in daycare. I didn't, and when I put my son in pre-K he had a difficult time socializing with the other kids and was very shy for a long time. Plus he is an only child and was exclusively around adults for the first 4 years of his life. And it is true that children will get sick no matter if they stay home or go to daycare. When I put my son in pre-K he wasn't ill any more or less than he was when he wasn't in school.
    It is a difficult decision, but I think your child will benefit in the long run. I wish I had put my son in daycare, at least part time. Now he has friends and playdates and parties and so forth, but for awhile I was really sad for him--it was heartbreaking to see him sitting alone in the classroom!
    Hope this helps!

I am going to tell you a story that will hopefully help with your decision.

I have not been on in a while and mostly because I found the site to be wonderful, but somewhat fueling an already intense fire. I went for therapy and I had a WONDERFUL experience and I am so much better. That said...I am a mom of a 4 year old and that is so much more important than fearing something that hardly ever happens and when it does, it lasts for a day. How could I have been so selfish by keeping my son with me all the time so I could keep him clean and germ free??? I'm a mom first and and EMET last. My son has had 4 SV's in his 4 years of life. 4 days of V* in 4 years. I realized that I could not worry forever about 1 day a year.

I am responding to your post because in Junemy son began pre-school /camp/daycare whatever the fancy term for it was. He went 3 days a week and loved it. He played with other kids and learned to swim. He is now going 4 days a week and many nights ago, he sat at dinner and told my husband and me how much he loves school. Then when I saw how happy he was, I smiled and got up to get more food and that was when the big question hit!!!!

WHY DID YOU GUYS NOT LET ME GO THERE BEFORE NOW?????

I felt so awful having kept him in my bubble for my selfish desire to keep him safe and he was no safer with me than at school. They are kids and they will catch stuff and sometimes we will too, but for a day or 2 out of a year, why deprive a kid of being a kid?
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

Well I have a 3 yr old in Prek right now. He only goes 2 days a week, but I was debating whether to send him or not cause of this phobia. But I did, and he's been going for about a month or so, and he loves it! I was a little worried about the sv going around, and just kind of dismissed it.
    But, today he told me a little girl v* in class on the floor, and then the panic hit me again. So I called his teacher for another reason and I asked her if there was anyhing going around and she said yes a sv was going around. Now I'm a litte freaked but know that it's totally part of them growing up. We've actually been getting it around here every 3-4 months, and it sucks but what else do I do? He loves school and it's great that he's getting out to play with other kids. There will be some scares and inevitable illness, but it's so fun for them to play with other kids their age.

-kim

I am totally anti FULL TIME daycare for many reasons, would you be sending him full time or just for preschool-type hours?? Unless daycare is just toally necessary for the survival of your family, I don't advocate it. I worked in daycares when I was in college, my best friend has worked in them and ran one from her home, and I just know so many kids who need help after spending their lives in daycare. I am totally pro-preschool, however, my girls are 2 years apart and we are in our 4th year in a row at our preschool!!! I love it!! There are preschool programs and mothers day out programs for 2 year olds, just ask around!!!

I am not trying to step on any working moms toes with my day care opinions, I know it is just great for some kids--my husband's half brother, for instance, he was in day care full time and he is a wonderfully AWESOME 19 year old today!! So please nobody yell at me!!!

Yes, he would need to go full time, which is another problem I have. I feel he is to young right now to tell me if something is not right. You know what I mean? Right now I have a family memeber watching him. For many reasons I am starting to not feel comfortable with this family member watching him for one he is addictive to adderall,so I am starting to think of other options. Thank you all so much for all of your advice!
    Christi
    *^**^***^****^*****^******^**
    Proud Mommy to Zachary

I think day care would be ok if you just look for a really good one. I worked in one too, and it was not terrific! But if you find a great clean place with an actual curriculum, it should be ok. If your other option is leaving your child with a person with an addictive habit, then day care would be a good choice. Good luck.

-Kim