Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Lexapro

I would like to know if anyone on here is taking Lexapro. Dealing with emet as you all do, were you concerned with nausea...vomiting...diarrhea side effects? I would very much like to hear your experiences with it, especially the side effects. I am taking it for agoraphobia and anxiety. I pick it up on Tuesday and I am a nervous wreck. My physician told me I could start at 2.5 mg which involves cutting the pill. She said I could stay on that dose as long as I wanted to and I could start 5 mg. when I felt ready. Kim

Hi Kim,

We have this question a lot here, and I'm sure some folks will respond with reassurance. Let me first say that I have never yet heard of an emetophobic person being sick from any antianxiety medication - and I talk to thousands of them on here...over 50% are on meds. Every medication lists nausea and vomiting - honestly. Some people must be sick when they take anything at all, but those are NOT emetophobic people, God knows.

You will feel "funny" on these meds for a while - maybe 3 weeks or so, then they will kick in and you'll feel a lot better. You can also ask your doctor for a powerful anti-emetic to help you reassure yourself, and you can also take tranquilizers for a few weeks so you're not so anxious about starting the pills. People on here have done both, and really benefited. Don't be afraid to tell your doctor what you're going through.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Actually I did took lexapro before my pregnancy and it honestly worked very well for me. I started on 5mg and went up to 10mg. I was doing very well with it. But yes I could of had an ok experience with it and you may not. Everyone is different with different meds. Best of luck and let us know how it works out! Edited by: loveable101
    ♥LIDIA&hearsts;

Sage, Lexapro is an anti-depressant not an anti-anxiety med.

so i was perscribed lexepro but i was too scared of the damn side affects as usual so didnt take it.. so now i take Remeron which has no stomach side affects what so ever.. not even listed on the "common side affects" list.. i like it.. however.. one side affect I DONT like so much.. is the weight gain and increase appetite.. man they werent kidding, i went from eating like a bird to eating like friggin huge horse!! anyways.. good luck with whatever u do.. and im sure youll be ok.. its all a head game. Unfortunately.

hugs

\"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain