Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

can someone post that addy in here again? i will start it some time soon!!!! i wanna give myself at least a few hours so i dont rush myself

http://www.achternamen.net/emetofobie/supportgroup/

i believe thats it. many apologies if it isnt. good luck with it. iv kinda stopped doing it now, im finding my 'cure' another way, but i hope it wrks for you.

Jen xxxxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

wot is ur cure? i have therapy soon and im hoping that will help...i can control myself in panicy situations now but even my gp has sed he doesnt think there is any *total* cure...anyone ever totally got over there fear?

What are the exposure therapy sites like? I've never had the courage to look. I think that would make me worse but not sure. What do you see??

well first u see little descriptions of the pics/noises/videos...i looked at the first two pics and they are dead cute...they get harder but i didnt go any further..theres never a good time e.g. just eaten/about to eat/about to sleep...im worried it mite make me worse...i mite try it after/during my therapy

missgoddess: i think sage is living proof that you can get totally cured. i dont think i will, i think there wil always be a phobia lurkin at the backof my mind, its just keeping it there and keeping it away frm interfering in mylife nemore..

my 'cure' is my social worker. because of my abusive childhood, THATS where the phobia has come from. (its odd, u wudnt hav expected it, but it does hav logical connections) so basically, tlkin to my social worker about my past is curing my phobia! which is quite amazing really.

Jen xxxxxxxx

Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

kinda like u displaced the real problem onto something less threatening? are absolute cures rare? im really hoping as im only 18 i mite have a chance of total cure *fingers crossed*

I'm hoping for a total cure too as I want to be a doctor! What are the chances of that!! I dont think I would react well to the exposure therapy. I also have had a rough childhood and I think when I become more secure at home my phobia and panic should get better

well even my doctor said he cant stand v* lol, brave man

mmm I guess there is a difference though between not liking it and being petrified of it like us. I'm sure there isnt anyone on this planet that likes v*

im sure there is...my m8s can watch ppl do it and laugh...and many ppl can see it and it not affect them at all...i do see wot u mean about the difference between not liking sumit and being phobic tho...i always think i dislike needles but wud gladly have one 2 stop me from being sick lol hence i am not needle phobic

Actually, there are some weird people who are into v*, if you know what I mean.

That is so disgusting, in my opinion.
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

Jen,

Your social worker is on the right track...the "cure" for me involved not only the intensive exposure therapy and EMDR, but a LOT of therapy around my traumatic childhood - by brother died when I was 3, then my sister (12 years older who was more like a mother) got sent away when I was 5, then my dad died when I was 9...and yes you sort of 'CHANNEL' trauma into something in order to cope with it. So believe it or not, the phobia is a coping skill for an even worse underlying problem we REALLY don't want to deal with. Not everyone has trauma that's obvious...like abuse or deaths...sometimes it can be divorce or parents fighting or God-knows-what. Of course there are hereditary factors - some brains just like to develop anxiety disorders more than others. And no one thing causes anything.

Complete cure of all your childhood issues is indeed rare. I feel very blessed - but don't forget I'm also 45 years old and have been working at all of that crap for over 20 years. There was never a time when I gave up, or gave into it, or wasn't seeking a cure. Being cured of the symptoms of emetophobia (the fear and subsequent avoidance of life's pleasures such as eating and socializing) is not rare, though. There are hundreds of documented cases and only thousands of emetophobes. So keep the faith!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Sage,

I have to disagree that there is some "other" childhood trauma that caused this phobia. In my case, I specifically remember my younger brother projectile v*ing across the room when he was 6 months old! It was a condition that was easily fixed by a simple operation. It only happened for one day but that was what caused my phobia. There was no abuse, divorce, or fighting among my parents. The only fault I can find with my parents is that they didn't raise me to be as self-assertive as I would have liked. They were rather shy themselves. That factor may have added to my phobia, but the actual fear itself came from that incident with my brother.
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

Yes, I'm not disagreeing that this incident was a factor for you. However, you must agree that not every child who sees their brother projectile vomit develops a phobia of vomiting. So there are other factors for you as well...some hereditary...but some also related to your family system and how it handled anxiety in general. I didn't mean that everyone had trauma, either. But I'll repeat a well-known fact about phobia: no one thing causes anything. The more you can explore your family system (dynamics), the better chance you'll have of getting rid of the phobia once and for all.

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Sage,

Yes, that is true. I know my grandmother on my mom's side had agoraphobia. My therapist told me that I likely have a genetic predispositionfor an anxiety disorder and that it manifested itself with this phobia after the incident with my brother. He said that not all things that effect us from childhood had to be an obvious traumatic experience, that small children often times pick up on one little thing that may have felt like nothing to the parents but to the child it was traumatic. I just meant that there was nothing from my childhood that I can think of that should have effected me badly. I have three brothers and sisters and they are all well-adjusted, "normal", functioning adults. They don't suffer from anxiety, nor from depression. They form healthy relationships. I have trouble with that. So it is frustrating trying to figure out why I have all these problems and my siblings don't. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Thats very true. I've always had a problem with my weight becasue i'm just built like I am even though I eat loads so had loads of bullying becasue of that, I was really unhappy with my phobia and to make it worse my parents split which doesnt seemto bad but for the last 5 years i've been swapping house every week! That has had a huge impact on my phobia! I'm hoping that when I get my own place my emet should calm down a little

Sweet,

One of the basic, founding principles of Family Systems (Bowen)Theory is called "family projection process" which (HONEST TO GOD)says that only one child will manifest symptoms in a family...unless of course it's a highly anxious family and there's enough to spread around to more than one, or all children. As you say, your family was pretty good. So Bowen would say that for sure - the anxiety would only get projected onto one child, who will manifest symptoms. What's really happening is that you are bearing the anxiety of the whole system though. (This theoryshould help us all to see that it's not just us who is weird or sick, but that there is an entire system at work...no one is to blame...it's just a reality of a family system) Perhaps your parents were very worried about your brother at the time - who wouldn't be...a baby having surgery and all. You as a child may have picked up this worry (anxiety), got left alone at the hospital...and on and on she goes. Anyway, your own therapist is absolutely right - I'm glad you have a good one!

sage,

i do admire you very much, i know you must have worked hard for those 20 years to be at where you are now, but i think without that hope you give me, i wouldnt be tryin to fix this at all.

as for this theory, again, i agree. my sister hasn't got any problems with anxiety or anything, so there was enough anxiety in the family to get to me, but not her. i also believe my dad has mild social phobia, just like me, so i believe thats where i got that from.

im also hoping that i wont need to do any kinda exposure therapy, because at the moment my phobia is a hell of a lot easier to deal with, and iv only had one "proper" session with the social worker talking about past like that. so im hoping just talking with the social worker wil be enough to sort this out. *fingers crossed*.

anyway, thankyou so so much for being here, i think ur knowledge and experience alone really helps a lot of people get thru this. thankyou

Jen xxxxxxxxxx

MSN:

i heard that exposure therapy can be traumatic so im definitley against it.. i just had my last appointment with my social worker cuz she is gonna start workin in schools and she knew i wasnt goin to do exposure therapy and now im scared that my new social worker will want me to do exposure therapy, i will not let that happen let me tell ya. lol. im hopin there is an absolute cure. i have had this phobia for as long as i can remember, but it got worse this year when i started therapy weith my social worker. we uncovered a lot of stuff man, im tellin you. im suppsed to start anti-anxiety meds soon. i hope they work. i would love to do some networking if anyone wants to chat on AIM. my SN is JakSparowsLovely

That's all very interesting. I just read about Bowen theory, and it's true. No one else in my family has any anxiety issues, except now my parents, but who can blame them after their house burned down this winter and they lost everything and then my dad got sick with a big mystery illness.... anyways. My brother had bad asthma when he was a kid. My mom had these wicked migraines, my parents divorced when I was like a year old, and I had a huge problem dealing with the fact that I had a different last name than the family I was living with even tho my mom is my blood! Maybe that gives me an idea of the source for me.... you know, maybe I was sick one time and there wasn't someone I trusted there to comfort me like I should have been. I remember even as a very very little kid feeling very ashamed after I'd be sick. Wish I could remember back that far to things that actually happened and not just feelings inside of me that I remember.

Jak,

Exposure therapy isn't the least bit traumatic if it's done properly. If anyone suggests it (and any good therapist will, because it's the best treatment) then just remember that as far as therapy goes YOU'RE IN CHARGE. Exposure involves making a "hierarchy of fears", and beginning with the lowest one on the hierarchy - something you wouldn't be very afraid of at all. For instance, what if someone were to draw a stick-man with a line coming out of his "mouth". Would you be afraid to look at that? What if you drew it yourself? That would be the first thing on the hierarchy. (People with snake phobias begin by just drawing a squiggly line. If that's too scary, they draw a straight line, then next put a slight curve in it...and so on.)

Anxiety can be measured on a scale called an "SUD scale". SUD stands for "subjective units of distress". The trick to exposure therapy is to keep the SUD level at about 3-5. (0 is no distress, 10 is so much distress you can't stand it). So you look at the picture, and hopefully it raises your SUD level to between 3-5. Sometimes the initial "shock" of a picture may raise it to 6 or 7. BUT YOUR THERAPIST (OR YOU) WOULD ENSURE THAT IT DID NOT GET ANY HIGHER. When the SUD level goes to 8, 9 or of course, 10 then it is no longer "therapy" - it becomes further trauma. This is very important and every psychotherapist knows it. The PROBLEM IS that ONLY YOU knows what would raise the level that high, and what level you're at. Hence the term "subjective".

I once had a stupid therapist who wanted to START by showing me a video of somone vomiting. JUST THE IDEA of seeing such a video sent me into 9 or 10, and I immediately started crying and feeling terribly ashamed. The stupid therapist assumed I was "uncooperative", etc. etc. I heard from a client once whose therapist thought it would be a good idea to sit them in an emergency ward of a hospital. GAK!!! That's the highest thing on the frickin' hierarchy - and they wanted to START THERE??? IDIOTS! The world is full of idiots.

Fortunately, there are many, many MANY excellent therapists out there. Even the idiots can be reasoned with sometimes. I repeat: YOU are in charge of your therapy. My therapist says, "you're in the driver's seat". My previous one (who successfully treated me) used to say, "tell me what you want to do and I'll be there for you in it". Awesome. The world is full of gems, too.

Anyway, my point is that exposure therapy SHOULD NOT BE frightening. If it is, you're going too far too fast. If done properly, it is ONLY SLIGHTLY anxiety-raising. The key is SLIGHTLY. The name of the treatment is GRADUAL exposure therapy. Only gradual works.

I hope this helps you clear this up, Jak -- if not you, then others. Don't be afraid. And tell your therapist what you want and need, and what you can't handle. That's what they're there for. If they refuse to listen, go find another one who will. It's your life, and your mental health. You deserve to get well.

(BTW, there is a link on this site for gradual exposure therapy with pictures. It starts off with a picture of eggs with funny faces drawn on them, and one is cracked open at the "mouth" and yolk is coming out. That's level 1...if you thnk that's too much, then you can begin with drawings you do yourself.)

sage,

thnx a lot for ur insight, i have never thought about it like that. i will definitely tal to my social worker aobut it when i meet her, as i am in a middle of a transistion. do u know the address for an exposure site? i will have to start with the drawing myself though because even that rasies my anxiety level.
    Omnia vincit amor. -- \"Love conquers all.\"

I'm hoping to be a kindergartenteacher but dolittle kids v* alot?

Hi:
    Please forgive me if this isn't the perfect place to post this reply.

I came across this forum searching on the web when I noticed that one of
    your members was saying that a service we provide (by phone and very
    successfully) to help people overcome Emetophobia - and a wide range of
    other problems - is not legitimate. Its a pity because we've helped a lot of
    people and the member who spoke so strongly against us was clearly
    unfamiliar our work, as they were advising another member completely
    incorrectly about what we do.

Anyway - we believe that exposure therapy is not neccessary, and all of
    our success is in teaching individuals to rapidly change the patterns of
    thought (those 'movies in the mind') that are the cause of the problem.

We have found that provided an individual is committed to overcoming
    Emetophobia it can be done very quickly - provided you know what to do.
    I don't wish to promote our business in this context, but would be happy
    to direct anyone who is interested to more information.

One final word: We find it extraordinary the mis-information there is
    about Emetophobia. We have never met anyone who couldn't completely
    and permanently overcome the problem.

I'm going to leave this post here for a bit - although I really should delete it because it's just a solitication. The "phobia clinic" is a group of people who centre themselves around "NLP" or "neuro-linguistic-programming". They claim to cure just about anything (not only every phobia on earth) in 24 hours..and over the phone, no less. That's after they take a good chunk of your money. They also "guarantee" their cure...but the fine print says that you have to prove to them you've complied with all the exercises, homework, etc. etc....I'm met more than one person who gave these folks a lot of money for a big fat nothing.
    NLP is not wrong or evil...Tony Robbins swears by it - and if you want motivation to succeed, give it a try. Some of its principles could also be helpful as an adjunct to any psychotherapy.
    But trust me, in my research on emetophobia on two continents - research that is quite extensive - those cured of ANY severe anxiety disorder by NLP are virtually non-existent. (I'm sure I'm the one they're referring to who's giving out the "completely misinformedinformation", too!)
    Do any of you honestly think you could be cured of this by talking to someone on the phone????
    Here's a quote from an online watch-dog group about NLP:
    Do people benefit from NLP?

While I do not doubt that many people benefit from NLP training sessions, there seem to be several false or questionable assumptions upon which NLP is based. Their beliefs about the unconscious mind, hypnosis and the ability to influence people by appealing directly to the subconscious mind are unsubstantiated. All the scientific evidence which exists on such things indicates that what NLP claims is not true. You cannot learn to "speak directly to the unconscious mind " as Erickson andNLP claim,except in the most obvious way of using the power of suggestion.

THE GOOD THING ABOUT THIS POST IS THAT THEY SAY THEY'VE NEVER MET ANYONE WHO COULDN'T BE CURED OF EMETOPHOBIA. I THINK THAT'S TRUE, TOO. NLP COULD BE ONE METHOD AMONG MANY, BUT I STRONGLY CAUTION MEMBERS HERE AGAINST PAYING A LOT OF MONEY FOR ANY SORT OF "MIRACLE CURE".Edited by: sage

i didnt realize what their clinic did

There have been a few jobs that I wanted to do but I was too afraid.

I SOOOO Dearly wanted to be be a nurse or a police officer but as a nurse a lot of people are sick and as a cop drunk people and the feer of being car sick.

I wanted to be a teacer but again I didn't want to be around kids that might get sick,

I do have to say though that my mom did fostercare and we had over 220 kids in my 20 years living there and only a few were ever ill.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by izzybee
    mmm I guess there is a difference though between not liking it and being petrified of it like us. I'm sure there isnt anyone on this planet that likes v*

Actually, (I coudn't believe this when I heard) there are people called Emetophiles who really like it and get turned on by it! GROSS! [img]smileys/smilies_30.gif[/img]And they make themselves and others v* on purpose because they get pleasure out of it. They even have websites that are exactly the opposite of ours. It's kind of twilight zoney isn't it... na na na na, na na na na, etc lol

OH MY GOODNESS! can you say freaky? i cant believe that. that is so disgusting