Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ugh Yeah I was flipping through the channels one night and came across those on a chat show. It was very discturbing. Talk about total opposite to us.

Getting back to the topic. I have been doing the exposer therapy on my own and it has been a great help the first few made it easy. The agg one is cute.

I am so glad I have found you all. I can't afford therapy so I have been reading books and sights. Edited by: Melikasa
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

can some one PLEASE tell me the site for this exposure therapy thing? please?
    Omnia vincit amor. -- \"Love conquers all.\"

its at the top of this link

VVVVVVVVVVVVVkinda gross VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

yeah well i was thinkin about emotophiles the other day...like ppl who r into wee and poostuff i can kinda understand (not that im into that kinda thing) as relief from needing wees and poos is quite nice but i think everyone, even non-emets will agree that being sick is not a nice experience...u feel some relief if uve felt sick 4 ages but at the end of the day it makes ur throat all yacky, is not nice 2 see happening and can hurt...

please dont descibe it![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

describe*

i did warn it was kinda gross lol

u think that stops me from reading? lol[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

if u think thats bad do not read the posts about trigger events or pitfalls...someone are very graphic

im new to this site....i feel kinda awkward for having registered, but at the same time im kind of relieved...and amazed that there are so many people like me....

so yea, ive had emetophobia ever since i can remember, but only vomited once when i was litte (becuase i ate too much candy)....so i went like 12 years without every vomiting, and then lats february i woke up with a weird stomache ache and boom. bad day. anyway, ever since then, i've been kind of a wreck...every twinge of pain in my stomache makes me think im gonna puke, and i get really anxious and messed up....i even had a few panic attacks (though not for a year).

in other words, i have been so anxious about throwing up that it just makes my stomache hurt... a vicious vicious cycle... recently, i discovered that i have a somatoform disorder, which is pretty much when you have random physical ailments that are totally inorganic (all in your mind). its so frustrating living like this, and sometimes i wonder if i will ever feel better for good and get over this...

the most ironic part is that for the past year, ive had like 878347283 differnt stomache aches but no matter how bad they were, I NEVER PUKED. weird.

so now that ive just written my life story.... i would love to hear from anyone whose had similar experiences... encouragement or advice or anything.

Hi Krw,

Welcome to the site. We've all had experiences, and lives, very similar to yours.

It's great that you recognize that your symptoms don't actually lead to vomiting. Even knowing that logically is a step forward!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This thread is a little disjointed!

For hippy clown and other young people who have emet but are afraid to go into certain careers (like nursing, teaching) because of potential exposure to V*, let me tell you that I actually went through medical school. There were times when I thought it would be a big problem for me, but I did it anyway. And you know what? It wasn't as bad as I thought - and because of this exposure I am a lot better than I used to be.

Don't let emet hold you back from your dreams!!!!

this question is for Sage, or anyone who has overcome this horrible phobia....how do you get rid of those feelings of anxiety when you've been exposed to your child or anyone else who has had an sv, and then the incubation count down...sleepless nights...not eating....constant dread that your gonna get it...also the constant thinking about how thye may have got it....those are the fears that are making my life miserable...especially i just want to enjoy life with my children without worrying if and when they will be sick....if i will catch it..how do you rid that kind of thinking?....it would sem like you would have to deactivate that part of the brain..because therapy can't make you stop thinking about incubation periods and wondering if your catch it, can it?

Thanks for listening, it's hard to put my fears in writing...i could go on forever

Sheri
    ~Sheri~

Hi Sheri,

You're absolutely right that you have to "deactivate" that part of your brain. And therapy (the proper kind, in the proper relationship) is exactly what will do that. Gradually exposing the brain to the stimulus at VERY LOW LEVELS of anxiety (for most of us, this works well just with imagination) and then "mastering" control over the anxious feelings that arise - found in the body such as rapid heartbeat, adrenalyn, etc. etc. is the key. All must be done in a trusting, caring relationship because most phobics didn't and don't have that at home - instead we have family members who somehow added to the fear and shame, reinforcing the screwed-up wiring in the brain.

The good news is that the brain CAN be re-wired. It just takes a lot of time. Like an Olympian practicing every morning at 6 am for years and years, victory can be won. But it takes the dedication and discipline of an Olympian. (If I can do it, so can you!)

Re-structuring the thinking is done in CONJUNCTION with the gradual exposure process. Sometimes EMDR can help speed this up a bit, but it's still not a miracle "quick fix". There is no quick fix to winning a gold medal, and there's none to beating emetophobia. It is an exact parallel. Wanna-be Olympians could search the world over for a quick way to run a marathon in 90 minutes, but without training for hours daily for years it just isn't possible.

The good news is that you can start to see some results (meaning a lessening of your anxiety) in about 10 sessions, provided you have the right therapist and treatment program.

Once your anxiety starts to calm down, the crazy thoughts will become less and less, and over time they will completely disappear. I expose myself to all kinds of nasty stuff now and I don't even think about it. I also volunteer in a hospital surgical ward, paediatricsand palliative care. Lots of sick people, and I'm still A-OK. Considering that 4 years ago if you even said the v-word in my presence, I'd excuse myself from the conversation and go and cry. It would destroy my day. I've also been 88 pounds from not eating anything but bananas and digestive cookes. As I get ready for bed tonight I'm 125 pounds and just eaten a whole bag of fuzzy-peach candies and I feel gross. But I'm not anxious, and I'll just go to bed and forget it and sleep like a baby.

This could be you some day.

But you have to start thinking like an Olympian.

God bless...

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n" width="100%">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

I just took a look at the site and found it very disturbing! I only managed the first few pictures! I'm suffering a lot at the moment-I cant go to class because I cant sit still and I feel there is pressure on me to "stay in the classroom" as people are getting fed up of me making up excuses to leave.

With one of my therapists I went into a hospital, however there was no sign of v* whatsoever and although I was very uncomfortable I did overly react. His reaction then was "oh you're nearly better", which really annoyed me!

I would do exposure therapy if i thought it really worked but I thinkyou need a caring, understanding therapist to"do it with you" sit beside you etc.

Theres just noway i can look at those pics **deeply disturbing**[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]</TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

x Felicity x

Fliss,

I really think your therapist has it all wrong, and feel free to print this out and give it to him. Going to a hospital is at the TOP of the hierarchy of fears. Your SUD level (subjective units of disturbance) would be far too high in this situation to do any good. The only way to "rewire" the brain is to get very very calm and comfortable at LOW levels. Getting the distress up too high simply reinforces (or even retraumatizes) the person. It has the opposite effect of healing.

If you could actually LOOK AT even one of those pictures on the exposure site, you're on the road to recovery. The point is NOT to look at as many as you can and "brace yourself" or "tough it out". The point is to look at ONE picture for as long as it takes to have NO ANXIETY when you're looking at it. If the first picture makes you too anxious, then draw a stick man with a line coming out of his mouth and stare at that until you're absolutely BORED with it.

Only when you're totally totally bored with each picture should you even attempt to go on to the next. And you would have to be totally totally bored with a video of someone vomiting (imagining it is you) before you should even set foot in a hospital.

I have written a paper at the top of this thread (sticky post) called "Info for Professionals" or "Doctors and Family" - something like that. Print it out, read it, give it to your therapist. Try working on this thing TOGETHER - attacking the problem from the same side of the table. It will give you more of a sense of power over it that sitting there "victim" to whateve else your therapist may think up on his own.

Good luck!