Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: vegetables

is anyone else scared to eat fruits and veggies because of the fear of
    them having horribale bacteria and viruses on them or in them? That
    washing wont help? i have cut out salad all together and i pretty much
    say away unless i can cook them...but even then...what do you guys
    things? i really want apples with penut butter and celery too...just
    too scared
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i think that veggies go through a process that gets them cleaned. I have rarely heard about the germs being on fresh vegies.......but the bag vegies...i hear alot. I wash mine before i put them in the fridge and wash them again before using/eating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yeah..it just makes me nervous..because when its in the water they use
    to irrigte them then it gets absorbed into the fruit and veggies...i
    should just get over that i know...just makes me nervous...especially
    eating out
    I love Sam

Actually the smooth fruits don't have the space to get germs and such "in" them and they are also treated with a light wax as well which makes them not only shiny but easy to wash. If you wash them really well you don't have to worry. People that get sick from fruit it is usally something like cataloup. It is always a good idea to scrub the outside with water anda soft brish before cutting into them. It is the cutting the dirty outside to the inside that spreads the germs.
    So enjoy your apples just wash well before cutting them and opt for the uncut over the pre cut. Same as salads always nice to wash the ready salad anyways or better yet grow your own baby lettuce. You can do it in a flower pot with ease even on an apartment balcony or windowsil. That way you know you are the only one that has handled it AND its organic because you will have no pestices or preservative added to them.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by katsamsmom
    i think that veggies go through a process that gets them cleaned. I have rarely heard about the germs being on fresh vegies.......but the bag vegies...i hear alot. I wash mine before i put them in the fridge and wash them again before using/eating.

i agree!!!
    ♥LIDIA&hearsts;

yeah..its hard...my bf wont eat veggies or fruit and it makes it so
    hard to stay healthy..plus being paranoid about them...thanks for the
    info
    I love Sam

I really never worry much about fresh produce, even with this whole spinach scare. I just rinse it and eat it. I have been eating fruits and veggies since I was a baby and never got sick.

My husband doesn't eat veggies at all--he just doesn't like them. So I usually buy frozen vegetables, b/c the portions at the store are so big (like lettuce heads) that they go bad before I get a chance to eat them. I hear frozen are just as good, as long as you don't nuke them. I just use my veggie steamer instead. I love my "rabbit food!"

My boyfriend never ate fruit or veges until we moved in together. Now i 'trick' him into eating them by making smoothies with strawberries, banana, raspberries, blueberries, frozen yoghurt and some icecream- he can't even tell it's good for him lol and i cut potatoes into 'chips' and roast them- he loves that too. Or get some leb bread and make your own pizza- but cover it in mushrooms, garlic, olives and basil as well as cheese.Most menlove pizza- even if its healthy- they don't care! I've never once gotten sick from eating fresh fruit or veges- and i eat alot of salad- just make sure you wash it with water. You need to eat salad- our bodies are designed for it. Edited by: glitta_fairy