Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I had another kidney stone tonight. This time it was in my left kidney instead of my right and it hurt BAD. I finally couldn't take it anymore and I went to the ER. The gave me some painkillers and everything and I think it might be about over, but the part that is scaring me is the guy in the room next to me that was v*ing. He got there before I did, so I am assuming at some point he used the restroom (which was co-ed by the way). I, of course, had to give a urine sample, so I used it, but that was before I found out what was wrong with him. Of course I washed my hands and all, but I did touch the doorknob (I was in too much pain to think 100% of emet rules).

Then I heard the doctor say that he had gastroenteritis and ordered a CT scan. I heard his wife explaining that he kept v*ing. Of course then I panicked because I had used the same bathroom, touched the doorknob and rubbed my eye. I had to go to the bathroom again so I asked the nurse where another one was that he wouldn't have used. She told me that what he had wasn't contagious, but gave me directions to a different bathroom anyway. I used it, but could only halfway wash my hands because I had an IV in my right hand so put soap in the left, swished it around with my fingers and rinsed. Then I had my CT scan - same machine he used. By then I was aware of the situation, so I was careful not to touch my face at all.

Still, I was doing okay. Trying to remain logical. The nurse came back and said she was giving me a couple more drugs. She shot one in to the IV then dropped a pill in my left hand and handed me a glass of water. I had no time to wash my hand first or ask her to put it in a cup for me to take that way. I paused for a few seconds and she just stared at me, waiting for me to take it, so I did.

I am so scared that whatever that guy (or anyone else in the ER) had was contagious. I know the nurse said it wasn't, but at that point I don't think he had really been diagnosed yet. I really hope I don't get it! I am so careful and this just seemed kind of out of my control. I guess I get to start the waiting game now!

don't worry you will be fine. I am sure you washed your hands well and he probably wasn't contagious. coming from a nurse they would not have done a ct scan on him if they thought that it was just gastroenteritis. don't panic everything is going to be ok

I know it's really hard, but try not to think much about it. I say just focus on how proud of yourself you should be for going to the ER and taking care of yourself despite the emet thoughts we tend to have. Are you feeling better? Have they suggested anything for you to do to prevent from getting the kidney stones?
    \"This too shall pass\"

gastroenteritis means a stomach inflammation - and it can be from a virus (noro, rotavirus, or others) or it can be bacterial or have some other cause. If the nurse said it wasn't contageous, then it wasn't. They can't be responsible for the spread of contageous diseases in a hospital by casually saying something that isn't true.

Also they wouldn't do a CT scan on someone with a simple virus.

I understand how you feel about being in the hospital, though. They sure are germy places....

I hope you're feeling better soon.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.