Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: zoloft users

Hey everyone! I know that people post questions about medicine side effects all the time here and I know medication affect people differently but I was just curious about how well it worked for other people. I was taking itfor a few months a while back but I don't think I took enough of a dosage for it to really work it's magic so I've been thinking about trying it again. The one thing it did do was kill my sex drive and I noticed that when I stopped taking it my sex life increased dramatically.

So...knowing that I am anxious to take it again but also hopefull that if I increase the dosage (as I was told to do by doc but just didn't for frear of feeling sick) I will feel better. I am willing to try again and risk the bellyaches and I have some anti-emets to take.

Just wondering how it works for others...

i can most definatly relate! I was taking it for panic attacks/OCD and one of the most serious ( in my world anyway) besides the wieght gain was the lowering of my limbido. I didnt really feel it was working and i switched to lexapro but it has the same if not worse effect. I talked to my doctor and she said that in almost ALL antidepressants and sedatives, you will have your sexual appetitate lowered. blows huh.

I do know that it won't work basically at all if you don't take the right dosage. I've watched enough folks in the hospital psych ward (inpatients) over time to see that dosage is VERY important.

Increased dosage won't make you sick. The wrong dosage is more likely to make you feel just "funny" or "off". Try again perhaps, and take what's recommended.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am 19 years old, and have been taking Zoloft for the past 6 or 7 years. I desperately want to be weaned off of it, but I always end up feeling dizzy and flu-ish, and I have panic attacks almost immediately after decreasing my dosage (possibly psychological- just the thought of reducing the medication makes me anxious). I don't want to rely on medication for the rest of my life. Sometimes, I feel as if I don't know who I really am, as if this medication is somehow affecting the way I think or feel. I can't really remember my life without it, but all I want is to throw away the pill bottle and never look back. However, I've noticed my emetophobia has been becoming increasingly worse. I have IBS, and for awhile, my stomach was feeling ok, and I wasn't panicky. All of a sudden, about six months ago, I started having IBS flare-ups again, and my emetophobia was back with a vengeance- it's consuming my life. I'm crying as I type this; I just want to wake up and not have to worry about taking my pill or panic about getting sick.

Quote Originally Posted by mason14

Hey everyone! I know that people post questions about medicine side effects all the time here and I know medication affect people differently but I was just curious about how well it worked for other people. I was taking itfor a few months a while back but I don't think I took enough of a dosage for it to really work it's magic so I've been thinking about trying it again. The one thing it did do was kill my sex drive and I noticed that when I stopped taking it my sex life increased dramatically.

So...knowing that I am anxious to take it again but also hopefull that if I increase the dosage (as I was told to do by doc but just didn't for frear of feeling sick) I will feel better. I am willing to try again and risk the bellyaches and I have some anti-emets to take.

Just wondering how it works for others...

hi am newcomer so treat me gently. would love some advice on dealing with quite severe anxiety. just found web site tonight and am struggling to take it all in and concentrate fully so please can you help. anything at all will do whether its advice or support. im getting desperate now ................[img]smileys/smilies_16.gif[/img]

Hi - welcome to the site.

Check out all the sticky posts at the top of this Treatments section - you will find a ton of information to help you, to help your family, to help you find professional help.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I took it for about a week and it made me v*

Quote Originally Posted by alisa
    hi am newcomer so treat me gently. would love some advice on dealing with quite severe anxiety. just found web site tonight and am struggling to take it all in and concentrate fully so please can you help. anything at all will do whether its advice or support. im getting desperate now ................[img]smileys/smilies_16.gif[/img]

I'm kinda new here, too. I've had emetophobia for 23 years...I'll be 29 in a few days. I was only able to put a name to it a month or so ago. When I first found this site, I stayed up all night reading and crying. I couldn't believe that there were other people like me! It was so overwhelming to see the same issues and habits I have reflected on these pages. My emet is pretty severe, and the anxiety that comes with it is the worst. This site will help you. Now when I start to panic, I'll sign on and sometimes just read...it calms me down so much. So~from one newbie to another~welcome!
    Be Here Now

I was on zoloft for depression and anxiety. For the most part, it helped with my depression - not too much for anxiety, (which is quick and severe if I'm around V* situations, but otherwise not too much of an issue). My doc. started it slow. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact dosage. But, I know that I took 1/2 a tablet for about a week and then worked up to a full tablet.

Side effects were minimal for me. Take it with food if you're worried about it making you n* again. I have had that problem with Celexa, even with food. But, not with zoloft. While I was on it, I felt very content, which is much better than depressed. I think it also tames the other side too - happiness. I didn't feel exceptionally happy or sad . . . . just content. I did have some sexual side effects, but not nearly what I did with Lexapro or Celexa. AND, I gained about 10 pounds while on it. I decided to quit Zoloft & try Wellbutrin for all of those reasons.

Coming off zoloft may not be too fun, but it is very managable. You may just have to do it more slowly than the dr. or pharmasist tells you. My husband quit cold turkey - no problem. I on the other hand took 1/2 a dose one day & regular dose the next, then 1/2 for a day or two & reg. dose and so on until I didn't experience any side effects. The side effects weren't too bad. I mainly had a headache and some dizziness. It helped knowing what it was from.

Over all, I'm glad I tried it. It can be a great help. The right dosage is INCREDIBLY important to help with depression. I do like Wellbutrin for me a little better. I know Wellbutrin can cause a boost in energy which can be confused with anxiety. That happened to me. The up side . . . I've lost my extra 10 pounds very easily. I've been on it for 2 months now & recommend it too.

Sorry, for giving you my whole med story. Hope it helps. Just take it slowly & I'm pretty sure you'll do fine with it. Best of luck! - Susan
    When you come to the edge of all the light you have known & are about to step out into the darkness, FAITH is knowing there will be something for you to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -Unknown