Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Immunity to V*?

So somehow I have managed not to V* in all my 20 years ( not including when i was an infant) and i am in all seriousness. I have done things that perhaps i surely should have to V* ( i.e flu, pnemonia, sv, food poisoning, TOO much alcohol consumption ). Is it somehow possible that you might have such a strong fear of it that you may be immune to it?

I dont exactly know the answer but my mom sometimes says to me ( i think to make me feel better , or just make things a little lighter) that Im so scared of v* that my body will fight it instead of actually doing it . Now I dont know if that is possible but I liek to beleive what my mom tells me lol

yeah i heard that you can be so scared of it that you will not mentally let yourself do it...but somehow im thinking that a sv will overcome it, but it hasnt happen to me. but thats a nice viewpoint.. ill keep that in mind =)

I think what we do is somehow "condition" our minds against it. I don't know how, but that seems to make sense.

I mean, we can stop ourselves from sneezing, right? I wonder if it's the same type of thing?? I don't have a fear of sneezing, but I've had to stop the urge a couple of times because I had food in my mouth. One time I did sneeze with Cheez-Its in my mouth and it wasn't pretty.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I donīt think so. But when I was younger I believe that. Now I know a lot of emets who make differents experience. One drank ipeac and didnīt vomit. She also thought that she maybe is immune. But a few years later she was being sick without a "real" reason. She wasnīt ill, she hadnīt a sv or anything else....but she definately WAS sick..... I am also havenīt been sick for the last 20 years (now I am 26)
    Vergangenheit ist es erst, wenn es nicht mehr weh tut!

I agree, for example-a couple years ago I got my son's sv, and it was a bad one, and I was having d* every ten minutes. It was also the kind that hit you hard and fast, so I ate a gut full of pizza and chocolate just before. Well finally, after many hours, i decided to give in and just do it, so I did, and I was so scared, and my stomach contracted three times, and I heaved, and not a damn thing came out. I was so mad because I went through the motions of v*, but it didn't help because my mind would not let it happen. I wanted that pizza out of me and I knew I would feel better when it did, but no, I wasn't having it. So that was frustrating, feeling the heaving but not feeling better after. So, I guess I do agree that we just don't have the same set up mentally as someone who is not fearful. The only other time I've v* was when I was too drunk to know what I was doing, and beyond that, I was a kid. I think with us emets, it almost always turns into d*. At least it always does for me. That I can handle. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Janna

I definitely think that you can become immune to it. About 5 years ago I was at a get-together with some friends and we made dinner. I guess someone did not prepare the food properly or the food was already contaminated and all of us ended up with food poisoning. Everyone got very ill, but out of the 7 people who were there and ate, I was the only one who never v*. Everyone else was deathly sick. I just had d* and some stomach cramps and I ate all the same food they did. As sick as they were, (3 of them actually ended up in the hospital)no one could believe that I never v*.

i do hope its a possibility. its the only thing i got going for me in that department

I think we have to rethink. Life goes on, also if weīll be sick. Why do we need this security? A security which never can be a security.</span><br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255); font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;"><br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255); font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">In my opinion it is more important to find trust in life and trust in the own body and his "normal" function than to hope to get immune to a thing, what is acutally a normal thing if anything goes wrong in the body and sometime can rescue life!</span></font>

Vergangenheit ist es erst, wenn es nicht mehr weh tut!