Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi everyone.... I am just reading through some new and old posts and it seems that there are a lot of people who don't mind vomiting, I kind of feel like I am horrible because it just seems like it is so accepted that it may or may not happen but me.. with think that I may vomit in the future just absolutley scares me. Like I can honestly say that I would give anything to never have to vomit for the rest of my life and i know in all reality chances are I probably will have to but I could cry thinking about it.. Is it just something that you do eventually become ok with?? I am so confused because I thought that everyone was as scared as I am... It is sooo weird and I don't think I could ever explain how terrified I am to throw up, is it something that eventually I will be able to just vomit and be ok with that. I can't even picture me running for a toilet.. I HAVE NEVER VOMITED IN A TOILET... Wow I am really freaked out just thinking that I may have to, I haven't vomited since I was 7 years old and I am now 18.. came very close many times but managed to not do it... I know that sometimes I just have an urge to make my self vomit just to face the fear to help me realise it wont be that bad but I could NEVER get myself to do it, can't even imagine what it would be like... wow sorry guys just very curious on how other people feel about it because I kind of feel like (from reading other posts) that I am not doing as good as I thought....... any replies would be great.. thanks xxoo

Honey you are not alone...i feel the same way...i really really am
    scared of it....i was doing better and being less scared...then my bf
    got sick like a few weeks ago and I have been on wits end consistanly
    scared because people at work are sick or my sister and just hearing
    that makes me nervous....ahhh dont worry your not crazy
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i know absolutely exactly what you mean & i feel the exact same way. I think about that all the time./..my mom always tells me she cnt wait 4 me 2 throw up so ic an see its not tht bad...i hate wen she says tht. i cnt explain how scared i am of v*

I feel EXACTLY the same way as you do. I would rather die than v* . It bogles my mind knowing that others are not scared of it on this site. I just cant get over how scared I am. for every minute I spend thinkign I spend two thinking about v*ing

Thanks so much for posting [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]. I hate even saying this but it does feel good that i am not alone and have other people who I can relate to, but yet it is so sad that we all have to deal with this everyday of our life... like i mean it is not the same as any other fear for example the fear of snakes... well you just simply avoid them, you know where snakes are and you know how to stay away from themand it's alright but then this is a fear that we are constantly trying to avoid what scares us so much... just never know when/if it will happen. It's horrible. Seems like my whole family respects how I feel to a certain extent and say they know how I feel but yet they have know problem doing it. My mother said the other day "nobody likes to throw up" but it is so much more than that and i wish people could understand that. I am feeling better know lol, I just started to over react and feeling the way I felt before I found this site (ALONE). But thanks so much for the post's guys and anyone else who can relate it would be nice to hear from ya... [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]. thanks xoxo

I know that when I was 18 I certainly felt the same way you do - exactly. Now I can't even imagine feeling like that - so keep your chin up - there's lots of hope!

At the top of the Treatments section is a paper I wrote called INFO ARTICLE.... to give to your family so they will understand better. Hopefully this is some help!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Tootsie, there are frequently two types of emets classified: Those who are afraid of themselves vomiting, and those who are afraid of others vomiting. Some people are both, making them perhaps a third type of emet. (All emets are afraid of other people vomiting when thesickness is contagious.)

I have never accepted people who can vomit without fear as equals to other emets. That is because those people can get away from their phobic stimulus just by being alone, while the rest of us cannot because our stomachs are always with us. Most of the people who post here and say they do not fear it themselves are members of this second category of emets. With over 5000 members registered on this board, even if only 1% are OK with vomiting themselves, that is still a lot of people.

The rest of us are just like you and have trouble every day and with almost everything we eat about the possibility of vomiting. Even thosewho have vomited since we developed emet still worry about the possibility of vomiting again. (Of course, there are also people who get over their emet, but by definition, I suppose, they are not part of this board.)

So welcome! There are 5000 people here who think just like you and can be supportive.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Quote Originally Posted by tootsieroll
    Hi everyone.... I am just reading through some new and old posts and it seems that there are a lot of people who don't mind vomiting, I kind of feel like I am horrible because it just seems like it is so accepted that it may or may not happen but me.. with think that I may vomit in the future just absolutley scares me. Like I can honestly say that I would give anything to never have to vomit for the rest of my life and i know in all reality chances are I probably will have to but I could cry thinking about it.. Is it just something that you do eventually become ok with?? I am so confused because I thought that everyone was as scared as I am... It is sooo weird and I don't think I could ever explain how terrified I am to throw up, is it something that eventually I will be able to just vomit and be ok with that. I can't even picture me running for a toilet.. I HAVE NEVER VOMITED IN A TOILET... Wow I am really freaked out just thinking that I may have to, I haven't vomited since I was 7 years old and I am now 18.. came very close many times but managed to not do it... I know that sometimes I just have an urge to make my self vomit just to face the fear to help me realise it wont be that bad but I could NEVER get myself to do it, can't even imagine what it would be like... wow sorry guys just very curious on how other people feel about it because I kind of feel like (from reading other posts) that I am not doing as good as I thought....... any replies would be great.. thanks xxoo
    Well, I know personally I used to feel exactly how you felt, I couldnt even imagine myself throwing up. The thing that helped (for me personally, not saying this works for everyone or anything) was when I was real sick after like 10 years of not v*ing. I think for me I had lost touch with reality, I just completely forgot what it was like. My mind had made it into such a HUGE deal that I couldn't see it straight. When I was finally sick, yea it was yuck, but I was like "omg THIS is what I was scared of for so long??" and I actually laughed. I think the thing is is that many of us havent gotten sick in so long that we forget and make it really horrific, when in reality tho its gross and yuck its (in my personal experience) its not the end of the world to me. I mean I do still feel panic when I am seriously faced with the possibility, but it has gotten a lot easier for me, and I can handle it much better than I used to be able to. This has just come with time and after doing it several times (different stomach bugs) its gotten a lot easier to handle.
    I think there are many on here who do feel the way you do. There are also those who aren't so much afraid of themselves getting sick as they are of other people getting sick (like Crimgoddess, shes phobic of others v*ing, not really of herself v*ing).

Keep in mind too that it takes time to get a different mindset on things like this, and its hard, but it can be done. I think finding this site will help you a lot in realizing you arent the only one who struggles with this.
    Edited by: Galadriel

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1

I have never accepted people who can vomit without fear as equals to other emets. That is because those people can get away from their phobic stimulus just by being alone, while the rest of us cannot because our stomachs are always with us.

Doug
    Just wanted to say Doug that is definately a point. I sometimes thought this phobia is so awful because we can't get away from ourselves. But then again those who do fear only others v*ing are really truly afraid just as we are of ourselves, and while they can potentially get away from it easier, its still real hard for them as well to get past it.

Tootsieroll, I feel exactly the same as you, so you are definitely not alone! I fear myself v*, and only fear others if there is a potential I might catch it. I have thought I would rather die than v* ever again. If it wasn't for my kids, I'm not sure I would still be here. What is so awful about this phobia is, like Doug said, there is no escaping your own body. I hope to someday reach the point where I am not afraid anymore, because life is too short to feel this way all the time.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. It is great to know there are many people who feel the way I do and It is even better to know that people felt the way I feel and have moved on... So i feel like there is hope, which is something I really need to hang on to because we all know that this fear can leave you feeling very hopeless. so everyone thansk so much xoxo[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

there's sort of a "third category" too, and that's people who are afraid of doing it in public (which means they can be so severe they are confined to their own homes). This can be combined with the fear of others, and yes, there are those afraid when it's contageous and those who aren't. It's true that the worst "category' is those who fear their own bodies 24/7 and can't avoid the stimulus to the fear. It's a terrible affliction then. I remember feeling that way but got past it over 20 years ago with some therapy (I'm 48 now). But then the fear of others got so ridiculous that I was only ok when I was home alone and knew no one was coming home that day or night - which was basically NEVER or maybe once I remember it when my husband took my 3 kids for a camping weekend. So I was still pretty much terrified 24/7. But I do agree with Doug - it's quite a bit more hellish to be afraid of yourself. I still get a fear/panic response, briefly when either I or someone else vomits, but what's totally cured is the anticipatory anxiety. So I can lead a normal life and only have a few seconds of panic once in a blue moon! It's a cool place to be and very possible for anyone to reach.

All the best!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Wow that really is inspiring. I really hope, I too can go about things the way you have. I personally Fear myself vomiting as well as others. Before this all started acting up again It was more others that I fearded because I was like, I know I have't done anything to be sick and i don't have a stomach flu and I could understand that but than others were so unpredictable. I didn't avoid anything really though it was just if it came down to someone else vomiting I would run away lol. it really wasn't this bad since I was a kid. But i know it got a lot easier as time went on so I am hoping it will do the same this time around.. I mean it has Been a little over a year now that it has been really bad but i am pushing myself in a lot of different directions to help myself... hearing that it is possible is a huge help! thanks xoxo

I used to be afraid of of just other people vomiting, not myself, now all of a sudden it's myself and sometimes others. Except just recently my sister was throwing up and I didn't know why but I didn't freak out over it like I used to, as it turns out it wasn't anything I could catch. But my fear stems mostly from me, I don't LIKE other people puking but I'd rather it be them then me, and if it's from something contageous then I freak out cause I'm afraid I'll get it. But I understand how you feel 24/7 cause I feel the same way, everytime I eat anything I think "Will this be the time?" it totally sucks but I get less and less scared every day. But I know exactly how you feel.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

The last time I was sick was when i was 6. Im 16 now, and I am so terrified v* and of other people v*. Even watching someone fake v* on TV makes me have to close my eyes. I know I'm probably going to someday, and I really, really dread the day that happens. Every time I think i feel n*, I'm afraid that 'my time has come' or something. My family is no help because they just tell me that I'm being silly. But I recently found out about this phobia, and I'm so relieved to know that I'm not alone. This group makes me feel like there's some hope that someday I'm going to be freed of this, and until I'm there I finally have people who will understand me and not judge me! So, yeah, I like everyone else know exactly how you feel. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]