Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Well, a woman that I work with is going to pick her son up from daycare. He is running a 101 temp and just v* at the daycare. She says that she isn't feeling good either. Is this the start of sv* season already?? We didn't get a break until the end of June and now its starting again?? I know that I am probably jumping to conclusions, but my anxiety is already on alert!
    We have got to be able to laugh at ourselves about this!!

Damn, i hope not already! I will keep my fingers crossed for ya...you know it could have been anything to make him v...a fever or some other upper respiratory thing...i hope everything's ok.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

sometimes when little kids v....it is mostly from colds, strep and tonsilitis....the mucus upsets the tummy and they is the only way for them to get rid if sometimes. And if they have had any dairy...that can aggerevate it. did she say where she felt bad?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i know what you mean.. on sunday i guess three people called in sick [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

its quite worrisome! and now today i have a sore throat!!! hopefully its not the sv* going around here and just a bad cold.. i can handle that...
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

I work in a daycare in CT...We have it making its way trough the center..Only 3 kids have it so far this weekand one staff memeber. The staff memeber actually came into work today and looked like hell after being out with it yesterday...she proceeded to tell me how she was v* before coming in..I sent her home but geez what a moron for coming in...

Yes, sadly it is starting. With shool and colleges starting up, there is fertile ground open for and sv to makes it's rounds. Let's hope this season is neither as long nor as harsh as the last.

I agree with the last poster. I hope that its not as bad as last year. It was BAD.

Really, according to the Centre for Disease Control, there hasn't been any year for norovirus that's been any worse than any other year. The virus makes its way across the country, sort of from west to east, through the winter months- then virtually disappears until it mutates the next year. If it's a slow news day then TV stations and newspapers that need ratings will make a big deal out of it hitting this nursing home or that, or some cruise ship. But honest to God, it's the same every year. Remember that people with good hygeine won't get it anyway....that means us.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Quote Originally Posted by sage
    Really, according to the Centre for Disease Control, there hasn't been any year for norovirus that's been any worse than any other year. The virus makes its way across the country, sort of from west to east, through the winter months- then virtually disappears until it mutates the next year. If it's a slow news day then TV stations and newspapers that need ratings will make a big deal out of it hitting this nursing home or that, or some cruise ship. But honest to God, it's the same every year. Remember that people with good hygeine won't get it anyway....that means us.

I am curious about something...I didnt think CDC tracked norovirus cases. I know the media stirs things up...but I know where I live cases of stomach viruses were much worse this past year than previous years. The schools here had it bad. I know its around all the time but a friend of mine that is a nurse practitioner said that they saw many more cases than usual this past winter.

au contraire! the CDC tracks everything under the sun related to health, and publishes a bookof charts calledTrends in the Health of Americans each year. It tracks everything - suicide attempts, abortions, visits to emergency rooms, alcholism, cancer, AIDS, immunizations and all known viruses, influenza, common cold, etc. Some years the rate is up, some it's down. Even a small, insignificant rise one year will make huge news on a slow news day. Perhaps one particular school, hospital or nursing home reports many more cases in one year than another. But that doesn't mean that noroviruses are getting worse overall.

I just share this because "catastrophic thinking" is a symptom of anxiety disorders, and it really is detrimental to one's emotional health to believe that there is something terrible about to happen, or that conditions are somehow worse. The spread of norovirus accross the county is very predictable and typical. To most people it's annoying, but it's not a very harmful virus in the grand scheme of things. People just hate getting it, is all.

I hope that everyone can enjoy the fall and winter months, and try to rid themselves of their sense of "impending doom" by thinking as rationally as they can. There is no more chance of you catching the virus this year than there was last year, or any other year...etc.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Thanks Sage that is very helpful.

Neesy[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

So, the lady in the cube next to me at work just basically ran out of here saying that she was so nauseous that she could not work anymore..then my boss called to check on her and she said she had been throwing up ever since she got home...if she comes back to work tomorrow she will still be contagious right? was she contagious before she left too??? I dont think I touched anything that she did probably but I am still freaking out a little bit...is the SV really making its rounds this early????

I guess it may also seem WORSE to US because we tend to have the ears for hearing it. I knew that CDC tracks a lot of things but I guess I was thinking more on the lines of our health depts maybe. You know, the reportable illnesses like Campylobactor, shigella, etc? Do health depts track noroviruses? I guess they would because arent they the ones to send the info to CDC? So is norovirus a reportable illness? The reason I ask is because I was a Director of Nursing for an Assisted Living Home and we had an outbreak of v* and d* etc and had to report it to the health dept. They sent over stool kits and were just concerned about things like shigella, campylobacter and other bacterial intestinal infectionsetc. They didnt seem concerned with the viral but thats probably because they are usually self limiting and must run their course. I guess that is why I thought that noroviruses were not tracked.

"catastrophic thinking" - This is so very true. I know that I tend to make things so much worse than what they are especially when it comes to stomach viruses, etc.

Thanks for the info Sage![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Edited by: madisonsmom

What stinks is that with sv*s there really is no *off* season. Summer is usually the most quiet, because the kids aren't in school getting everyone sick. I've got a sore throat myself this morning...

I thought they weren't tracked either 'madisonsmom'. I just know last year was a bad year in OUR area as well when it came to sv*s. There were a lot of area schools closing down for disinfection because of the darn things..