Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

In your own words I'd like to know how your family and friends and co-workers and whoever else is in your life treat you with your emet?

The reason I am asking is because alot of the year I don't visit my family and friends often and they get upset because they don't know why I'm not going, either its winter and the kids are sick, or they've invited me at night and night outtings are a no no for me, or to a bar, same thing....I'd like to hear your stories about how you get treated with emet? If you don't mind, that is!

Wel, my Dad thinks it's ridiculous and makes jokes about it a lot - he has told my mum but she has never mentioned it to me. My boyfriend knows about it and is very supportive.

However, I always turn down invites to go places, which is why I don't really have any friends anymore - I was always saying no to invites and eventually they just gave up, but I never told them about my emet because at the time I didn't know that there was a name for this!

Doctors I have told always roll their eyes and whenever I explain to my Dad why I can't go to a restaurant orto visit people in hopsital etc he just gets really annoyed and say "Don't be stupid, nothing will happen" etc etc so nowI force myself to go whenever possible.

So, generally, I get treated like a freak, probably ehy so many of us are depressed about it!
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=BLUE>Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carolinexx</font></font>

Hiya,

Well, to be honest emet doesnt really get in the way of my day-to-day life. I do all the normal things non-emets do, but I just get panicky when I feel sick. My parents are really supportive, and so are my friends. Theres not really any situations that i cant be in apart from visiting people who have been ill or have ill children - but thats fine cuz my parents wouldnt want to go anyway.

I guess I just get treated the same as anyone else *shrugs* I dont really understand what u mean. I'm not ridiculed becuz of my emet - but thats cuz it only rears its ugly head every now and again.

Rachel xxx
    <center><font size=\"2\"><font color=BLACK> If you\'re going through hell... keep on going... </font></font></center>

My friends who know about it, are usually supportive but occasionly some of them (boys in particular) will make stupid gaggy noises or something, and they don't understand why it annoys me so much. I don't think my parents understand at all. They both think that going on this site is just "encouraging me" andwhenever I say that I don't want to go somewhere or do something they say that I'm being selfish and ruining it for everyone else and that really upsets me because I would never try to be selfish, I just can't help it. Or they say I'm "cured" just because I saw a therapist for like a week, and every time I run out of the room when there's a v* scene they sigh and get really cross at me, and say I'm just doing it for attention. I can't wait until I live on my own and can deal with it my way. I love my parents and everything but they don't get it.

Hannah, you poor thing! Your parents don't sound supportive of you at all. Try to keep strong, you always have us to talk to at least.

I know what you mean about being told you ruin things, in May my and my family went to Brussels for my mum's 50th andwhen I asked my dad why we weren't going by plane he said the reason we have to go on the Eurostar is because we couldn't go on a plane because of me so I had ruined it for everyone.
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=BLUE>Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carolinexx</font></font>

well, my dad doesnt understand it at all. he still makes random sick noises and doesnt really consider my phobia at all. which in a way is good, i wudnt want him tip-toeing around me.

my mother, understands a bit better than my dad, i mean if shes watching a proggy where ppl are getting sick and i come in the room, she wil say "u dont wanna watch this" e.t.c

my friends, do their best. i have 2 friends that truly truly understand. but one is at Uni, so i dont see her very often!

as well as these 2 friends, i have gr8 support from a teacher at school. he tries his best to understand and has seen me at my worst (suicidal, panic attack, e.t.c)

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN: