Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

For spring break my family went on a trip to Orlando, and what else do you do there besides go to the parks? So we were in Epcot the first day, and they have that simulation "Mission Space" or "Mission Mars" or whatever (you know the one that pretends to launch you to Mars.. someone died on it!).Well, my parents and brother decided to go on it! And they wanted me to join them, but I cannot go on any type of ride that seems like I would get sick on (no roller coasters, simulators, swinging things, spinning things, etc.). I simply refused, but my mom insisted that I go on with them, and she even pulled my arm into the buildin that the quene was in. Well, that launched me into a panic attack, and I mean a full-out crying, hyperventilating, screaming panic attack. And there were kids younger than me running for the quene! My mom was so embarassed that she just left me outside the building with some Epcot worker so I could catch my breath again. That was the first thing we did in the place, and it ruined my day!

Someday, I want to be able to go on amusement park and county fair rides with friends and family without the fear of v*! I've never been on a roller coaster, and I want to so bad, but I just can't bring myself to do so... =[

omgg i cnt even believe what you just typed. i swear to G-d this past summer i just went to Universal with my parents & the same exact exact exact thing happened!!!!!!!!

i was hysterical crying & ppl were lookin at me & my parents were laughing at me. it was horrible. i swear its soo funny u sed that cause the same thing happened...exactly the same thing.

That sounds horrible - but at least you didn't have to go on the ride!! I've talked to dozens of people who said that ride made them very n*, some even v*! I don't know WHY people would want to do that to themselves!!

And by the way, I've never been on a roller coaster either haha. :-P

Hi there!!

Don't feel bad about the way you reacted--I think I would have done the exact same thing (and then some!!).
    My son and I were in Orlando last year, and he was begging me to go on "Mission:Space" with him. Not only was he not going on it, but there was no way in hell I was going on it!! Why would I go on a ride that has motion s***ness bags on it??? Yes, that's a REAL fun ride!!!
    As for having a panic attack in public you are definitely not the only one. I had one just yesterday at a pumpkin picking place when some girl decided to v* on my shoes. So I definitely know how you feel, and I know how horrible you must've felt. Just remember that you probably will never see those people who were at the ride again, and you should not feel embarassed in the slightest. I think your reaction was one that many would have--in fact, I've seen people freak out in line for roller coasters at Six Flags!!
    As far as eventually going on rides and so forth I really don't have any advice--mostly because I refuse to go on them myself!!
    Still, hang in there and don't be so hard on yourself.
    Hope you feel better!!!

i dont understand what the fun is of going on a ride that makes you
    sick....why in the world would you want to make yourself sick or even
    feel sick...it doesnt seem like fun to me at all...just like drinking
    too much, why would you want to get so trashed that your sick the next
    day, and even that day??? People are weird...lol or maybe its just
    me...i never liked rides even prior to my emets
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This has happened to me, too - when I was younger. I feel so sorry for you emets who are still under the "control" of your parents. Trust me, in a couple of years when you're older and in charge of your own damn life, you'll be a lot calmer. That sort of experience is completely re-truamatizing to an emet, and does not in any way help them "face their fear".

Maybe print out the INFO ARTICLE on the top of the Treatments section and give it to your parents to read so they don't force you into those situations anymore.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I can talk myself to rid SOME roller coasters, but this happened to me last year at Cedar Point (in Ohio). I was there with a bunch of friends and my boyfriend was trying to pressure me onto a ride. I started bawling and embarrassed myself and front of everyone, but I was absolutely DESPERATE to not go on. I paniced the whole time in line and felt silly, really. I hope to someday tackle the rides I was too scared to tackle before.

Oh God I'm sorry that happened to you. My friends and family always try to pressure me into going on a ride, but if they go to far I usually start getting angry, and they back off.

I don't understand why people try to hard to get others onto rides.... If someone says no, they mean no =\

Thanks guys =]

Yeah, some day I really want to try a roller coaster out. Like, a big one (I've been on Thunder Mountain and those tiny festival ones), but I just can't do it yet. They look like so much fun, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by sage
    Trust me, in a couple of years when you're older and in charge of your own damn life, you'll be a lot calmer.
    Oh I agree with this statement SO</span> very much!

I'm 20 so I've only been legally an adult for two years now. And when I think about it I'm glad I was already 18 when my emet got bad. If I weren't in charge of what I did, and when I did it, I don't think I'd have the courage to have forced myself to start doing things like riding in other peoples cars, or eating at restaurants again.

I used to work in Disney World so I've been on every ride there, well, I haven't been there for 5 years so there are some new ones. They were just building Mission:Space when I left and there is no way I would go on that. I'd love to see it, it sounds really cool, but I agree that any ride with motion sickness bags is a no-no for me. I've heard though, that after the people died on the ride (I think there were two - one was only 4 years old, why would you take a 4 year old on that?!) they now have two versions of the ride - the old version and a milder one. If this is true, I *might* try the milder one.

There are a couple of rides there that I was very proud of myself for going on. Rock'n Roller Coaster was the first roller coaster I ever went one - and it even loops! I also rode the Tower of Terror which I swore I would never do. I have to admit that once I did, and it was okay, it definitely bumped my emet confidence up a little bit. I don't think I could ever ride some of the bigger, taller, faster, steeper roller coaster like the ones in Cedar Point, but at least I can now say I have been on a roller coaster.

Why in the world are they allowed to keep a ride going on which two people died???? I can't understand that at all!!!!

Oh my, a ride where sick bags are provided?! What the?! I cannot think of anythingmuch worse thanbeing trapped on a ride with the high possibilityof people throwing up around me, let alone the fear if I personally were to get ill! For your mum to try and force you onto that ride is terrible - does she know about your phobia?

As a kid (and even more emetophobic than I am now) I went on rollercoasters and stuff like that. One time at Alton Towers we went on a school trip and there were so few people there we were allowed to stay on the rides over and over. My friend and I rode the corksrew about six time on the trot and the pirate ship for loads of times until somebody two down from me v*d [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]and we all had to get off. I've never been travel sick or been made to feel sick by a ride, the thing that used to freak me out though was that others were always sick on the rides near me. One ride was like a pirate ship that swings and then goes right over the top and I remember this one girl throwing up whilst we we upside down - it was awful, never again[img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]. As a thirty-six year oldI'm not as brave as I used to be (!)and if somebody asked me to go on a scary ride nowI'd have all the 'what-ifs' surfacing, like what if I'm sick or somebody near me v*s. I'll leave the rides to the youngsters, lol [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

mission space has motion sick bags?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by lianaismadchill
    mission space has motion sick bags?!?!?
    Yes, they do!! Why would anyone want to go on a ride like that??
    I actually heard that they put them on because in the first few months it was open the maintainance and janitorial crews got tired of cleaning up peoples v* after the ride was over!!
    YUCK!
    There is a new version of the ride that is supposedly tamer but generally the same idea. I'm not sure how that one is though, because I wouldn't be caught dead on either one.

I haven't been on any rides since I was in the 6th grade. they just creep me out. I've never felt sick on one, nor have I seen ne1 be sick on one, but I've seen rides closed for various reasons due to v*

I read up on how mission space works, and it's not surprising that it causes motion sickness. It's actually a centrifuge which spins fast enough that riders are exposed to forces as strong as 2G. The spinning could obviously cause motion sickness, plus during the ride you watch things on a virtual reality display which would also cause motion sickness since there is confusion between the motion that your body is feeling, and what you're actually seeing.

The lighter version actually sounds like an emet safe ride. The centrifuge still tilts to simulate motion, but it doesn't spin during the ride. So unless you're really really sensitive to motion sickness, you'd probably be okay.

Also, they post warnings outside that the ride can cause nausea, dizzienss, and disorentation plus that people should not ride if they are prone to motions sickness, have migranes, an inner ear problem, or elevated anxiety.</span> Therefore, it was not a good idea for your parents to try to force you to ride.

Up until a few years ago I could go on roller coasters and simulation rides and all that but then I started to fear myself vomiting so I stopped riding rides. Just recently (A few months ago) My friend dragged me to 6 Flags and was hounding me to go on rides. So she was like, "How about the sky ride? Can you do that?" (It's basically a ride that takes you from one side of the parkto the other really high up and everything) So I freaked out while we were in line FOR THAT! I ended up getting on it but because I had worked myself up so much I was nauseous the whole time! I refused to go on anything else the rest of the day! I was absolutely miserable the whole time there, it was hot and there was no point in being at an amusement park when all your friends wanted to do was go on coasters and stand in line. I know how you feel! No one should force anyone to go on any ride!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!