Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I know that Alvin says in one of his answers that theact of vomiting actually doesnt do anything to help your body fight the virus of any sv. Thus, taking an antiemetic drug seems that it will do no harm,and just lower your chances of v*.

I'm just curious how many of you use over the counter drugs such as Emetrol, or perscribed antiemetics, and how successful they've been for you when you've become ill with an sv, or other food borne illness. However, i know most of you havnt v* in many many years. But i guess im just curious, what are you success stories with these drugs?

i use original formula dramamine....i have beat sv's and bad food poisoning with it. it does make you tired. if i am n....i take it...in 30 min i am much better. if i am not better in the 30 min i take another. it works fast!! Good luck!!

Also i always have chamomile tea and giner tea....i sip it while i am waiting for the meds to work. i cant even tell you the last time i took an RX for n.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I take phenegran when I first feel n*. It usually works within about 20 minutes, but makes me pretty groggy. If one doesn't work (this only happened once), I take another one after 30 min. That's always done the trick. Anytime my family members have taken Emetrol, it didn't stop them from v*, but none of them are emets, so they don't fight it like we do.

i think i have taken everything under the sun for anti emetics,

I took emetrol once and it actaully made me v* however i was pregnant at the time and its soooo sweet so yah.. i think thats why i did..

lets see, the thing that actually works the best that is non perscribed is ginger root pills or, natural ginger ale, and im not talking just any kind u find in a store, but the natural soda at healt food stores. That works the best, its really spicy which can cause heartburn but does a great deal for n*

as far as perscribed pills, i have taken several forms of compazine and phenegren.. and they work ok, but after a while i get immune to pills so it seems i have to take more and more each time, so i dunno. A couple nights ago i had to take three phenegren pills so.. yah.. but w/ compazine i used to take4 at a time. My doctor told me it would actually be safer if i took xanax instead of the anti emetics since they can cause neurological side affects and problems, but i dunno.

its actually hasnt been that many years since i v*.. i was preggo like 6 yrs ago, and v* twice in one day with that and then 3 yrs ago i got a sv* it was all really scary at first but then it was not that bad, only thing is when i feel n* again i go back to where i was, panic attacks and all, so why is that i panic so bad? when it really happens afterwards i feel so much better, i dunno, something i am still trying to understand..

Hope this helps some
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

I'm a fan of pherergan, it is the only thing that works for me. The only thing I hate about it is that for two days afterward, I am so tired and groggy that I can barely function, but hey, better than v*. I have gotten through a sv with it, and many other things. Alka Seltzer also works for me if the n* is mild, but if that doesn't work, I'm popping a pill. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] Janna

Iv heard that dramamine only works for nausea and vomiting caused by inner ear and sensory indiscretions...aka motion sickness. Does this really also work for viruses and food poisoning?? It says nothing on the box in regards to it,and iv never heard of it being used for this reason. Does anyone else have success stories with dramamine? Has anyone been told by their doctor that it's ok to use for this reason??

Sounds like most people are saying Emetrol isnt reliable.

Thanks for all the posts guys!

I don't think emetrol is reliable. i was feeling n* one time and I took some for the first time and it made me v*. I felt as if i had taken ipecac or something. I v*d 5 times in less than an hour. Who knows though, maybe I would have v*d even if I had not taken it. All i do know is that I felt fine after I v*. regardless of that, I will never take it again, just incase that is what made me sick.

It kind of scares me to hear how many emets actually get v* sick...
    I love Sam

Nothing is guaranteed to help you stop v*. I think what we need to work toward here is accepting the fact that it will happen to all of us at some point in our life. We need to work toward learning coping mechanisms to help us when it does, rather that developping further avoidance behaviours.

My two cents!

happyteacher

Quote Originally Posted by happyteacher

Nothing is guaranteed to help you stop v*.* I think what we need to work toward here is accepting the fact that it will happen to all of us at some point in our life.* We need to work toward learning coping mechanisms to help us when it does, rather that developping further avoidance behaviours.

My two cents!

happyteacher
    Well said---I totally agree!!!

hmm, well it seems like many of you are saying nothing truely works to stop vomiting...like i said before...iv heard that vomiting when you have an SV is not necessary to beating the virus...and reallly does nothing to help you...I think iv given up on emetrol...but does anyone else have good experience with dramamine?

It seems the only time you really need to vomit is if you injest some type of poison....eithorlike a hugehandful of fungus, bacteria or harmful chemicals...but

in regards to viruses...i believe that v* can be avoided...i just wanna do what we can....and if vomiting due to viruses doesnt help us..then its not necessarily healthy anyway...just an unnecessary symptom.

Thanks for all the posts guys!!