Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Xanax question

Hi all...I was put on Xanax almost 2 weeks ago to help calm me down if I get too worked up. it's been workgin alongside my zoloft.It really works!! They gave me the pills that are .25 mg and I only take 1 at a time. I was reading up on it and it said that one of the side effects if you stop it abruptly is seizure!!! I AM SO AFRAID OF THOSE TOO!!! So if I run out ( i don't have a refill ) will I have a seizure????? I read too much!!! I have only been on it for 2 weeks!!!!

If I go to the doc and ask him to give me a refill is that something that I can take sparatically like if i have a "bad day" or something later on????

I take xanax too but only as needed, so i take my regular anti depressants and then if i do have an attack .. then i take my xanax and i take .50 mgs, but i usually only need one, but again i only take these as needed so maybe at the most twice a month..

It can be dangerous if you take xanax every day and in high doses and then stop cold turkey and then there can be seizures, if it makes you feel better my step father takes 3 mgs everyday and has for the past 7 yrs and is ok, however if he did stop without gradually going down on the mg amount then yes it could be extremely dangerous even leading to death, but dont worry if you do want to cut down or stop taking it, make sure you do it gradually, but .25 mgs is pretty safe right now, just be careful when the dosages are higher and your having to take it everyday, it can be very habit forming but dont use it too much, that can stunt you progess in recovery also.

My doctors are constently trying to make me take xanax daily but i still refuse, and say i only need enough for acute attacks, I hope this helps! I have been taking xanax as needed now for over 7 yrs and its been great for me!

\"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

Thanks for your reply...so If I started takin it every other day til it's gone I should be ok with no seizure? I was taking is 2 times a day and now I am taking 1 so if I go every other day will I be ok???

I would ONLY take it when needed...like when you are panicing pretty bad. If you take it often it wont work the same....

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysamber
    I would ONLY take it when needed...like when you are panicing pretty bad. If you take it often it wont work the same....

I agree with that. I have been prescribed xanax for the last 5 years. I have never taken it on a regular basis. just one pill once a week or so whenever I have a panic attack. If you take them all the time your tolerance will build up and you will have to take ahigher dosage to get the full effect.

I also have been on xanax for several years, and only take it when needed....i've never taken them like for days and days at a time....i think if you just take when needed, there is not much rish for a seizure.....the med. is very good, and i take the same mg's as you...very low dose...and it's amazing how calm it makes me feel. I personally love it for when i really need it.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Please ask your doctor about the likelihood of this side effect happening, and what dosage you'd have to be on for it to happen, etc. None of us are doctors here, so don't take our word for it. If I were to make an uneducated guess, I'd say you'd have to be on a pretty frickin' high dose of Xanax, and stop cold in order to start siezing....but as I said, I'm not a doctor. But this is a totally valid question to ask him/her.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.