Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Holiday anxiety

so last night at work we had to sign up for holiday hours at work...we
    are open EVERYDAY...including Christmas, and Thanksgiving. Im so axious
    that they are going to make me work on Christmas and I can't, and I
    won't. That is a big special day for me, and I already signed up for
    Thanksgiving morning, Christmas eve morning, and any time on new
    years...I dont think it will be fair to make me work all the holidays.
    I mean there are 5 of us who can be doing the shifts. Im so worried. I
    really really really dont want to work on Thanksgiving or any part of
    Christmas. I mean I will be cooking all day on thanksgiving, so that
    really is inconvience, and then Christmas is such a big deal, like I
    dont even know where to start. Im scared that I wont get to
    celebrate my traditions with my family.
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I hate that! i have a job that is luckily closed on christmas day and thanksgiving day but i most likely will have to work christmas eve and new years eve and day and the day after thanksgiving.

It is really important too for me to spend time with my husband this year since he will be in Iraq next year, but u know my boss doesnt really seem to care that much.

The job before that i worked in a call center for a cell phone company that never closed, so i worked both thanksgiving and christmas, i mean the money was great cuz i getting paid double time and a half so like thirty dollars an hour but it did kind of suck , it was a real lonely holiday season. We will just put it that way.

Hey u might get lucky and not have to work, or maybe you can get off early??

hope it works out for you..

good luck
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

I feel your pain.

My "pay for travelling" job is at a hotel, and hotels never close. Last weekend was our Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada, and I worked Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday- so much for me only being part-time. The money will be good, but it rots missing out on Thanksgiving dinner, especially since last Thanksgiving really sucked as well (we were driving from California back to Ottawa, so our Thanksgiving dinner was at a Denny's in Regina).

I told them when they hired me that I needed Xmas eve and day off, and New Years eve and day off; I have to drive 6+ hours to my parents house for both. X-mas eve because it's my mom's family gathering, and it will be the first Xmas that Chris and I are spending together (as last year he worked, and I went to my parents). I also get the impression that he is planning to propose in front of the family, as I am a sneaky monkey and know that my ring is supposed to be ready at about that time. As for New Years, my cousin is getting married. Unavoidable.

My boss said that this would likely be fine- although the other staff said that since I was the last person hired, they would try to make me work, as the more 'senior' staff get priority.

I say BULL. I'm at the point now where I am fed up, and okay enough financially to not have to work this job. If they schedule me for these days, I will be "sick"- and if they have a problem they can fire me. Good luck with them training someone else.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks the problem is is christmas night is the time that we dont do
    anything, its christmas morning, and afternoon that we celebrate and
    that is when we are open
    I love Sam

I don't mind working Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve--as they are usually shortened days. But to be a restaurant open on Thanksgiving is just ridiculous to me! Who the hell goes out for a cheeseburger on Thanksgiving????? I'm sorry. I understand there's Jews, Muslims, Jehovah's Witnesses and atheists, but the majority of America celebrates the holidays with their loved ones and/or going to church services. I can't see it being worth the company's money and time to be open that day! [img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

I just moved down to NC, and started a new job at a restaurant. I am definitely taking 5 or so days off to come up north forChristmas, since my family's up here. So, I now I will be screwed working Thanksgiving, New Year's, Easter, and all the other holidays. What the hell is wrong with corporate America? What happened to the "good old days" when all holidays were closed, and Sundays too? Is making an extra buck or two all that important to cater to a tiny handful of people who want a friggin' burger on Thanksgiving day? And don't these people of other religions (or lack of religion) have any respect for the rest of us who DON'T WANT TO WORK on holidays?

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...what does religion have to do with Thanksgiving? I thought it was just a national holiday, not a religious one- we just 'celebrated' Thanksgiving here a few days ago, and it wasessentially an excuse to eat turkey and watch football (you know, if you're not working like I was, lol).

I can see certain things being open over holidays- food, hotels (as much as I hate it), gas stations, etc- but it does supremely suck for those of us who have to work. Believe me, don't I know it.

Man, I wonder if we all ditched, if the managers had to go in and work. Wouldn't that be the day?

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

Thanksgiving isnt a relgious holiday...but why does cananda celebrate
    it? I though it was pilgrims coming to america and using indians for
    their kindness and then murdering them? Am I wrong, did this happen in
    canada?
    I love Sam

No, Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday now. But it used to be. Thanks giving...giving thanks to God.

But now, Jehovah's witnesses still won't celebrate it, like they don't celebrate any holiday. I don't know about Jews or Muslims...?

I still don't think we should be open, as a restaurant, on a national holiday that is known for it's gigantic turkey dinner, etc. I don't see the point of staying open for people in the minority. NO offense to them. But doesn't majority rule?

Quote Originally Posted by rubysoho120
    Thanksgiving isnt a relgious holiday...but why does cananda celebrate it? I though it was pilgrims coming to america and using indians for their kindness and then murdering them? Am I wrong, did this happen in canada?

LOL- something similar happened here- although we don't call the first settlers Pilgrims. Yet they totally did take advantage of/steal the land from the Aboriginals (and still do)- ah, the joys of colonization. But I digress.

Our Thanksgiving is less about this, and more about the harvest. Here is a link that better explains the history of the Canadian Thanksgiving:

http://www.twilightbridge.com/hobbie...s/thanksgiving /canada/

Either way, it's pretty much the same deal in terms of what actually happens, especially in the food department (unless you are a lonely vegetarian like I am- no one ever has any love for tofurkey).

*amber*

well i do know for myself that holidays are a way more crucial time for my anxiety and panic attacks...i think just over its the stress!! but honestly i think everyone even without our condition go through this!!
    ♥LIDIA&hearsts;

Cool link Crimgodess I had a similar link that I was going to post but I like the one you posted best.
    I hate that I work in a place that is open 24/7 365 days a year. I feel Christmas is the most important time of the year for me. I am taking it off this year and because of my seniority I got first dibs on getting it off but I also had to work Thanksgiving and I will have to be back for New Years Even and Day because I am getting Christmas off. Sometimes you will have to make the sacrifice but choose your holidays wisely. IE most important to least important and be fair as you do it as well. Since THanksgiving can easily be done on any of the 3 days of the long weekend (if its the same here in Canada) If your family doesn't mind holding off or allowing it sooner have it on the Saturday instead of Sunday or Monday instead of Sunday (you get what I mean) And IF you have to work a couple hours maybe there is family that can help out with some of the big stuff. You can also prep yourself ie the veggies and stuffing.
    Best of luck on whatever happens< wish you all the best.
    Mel
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I thought Jehova's Witnesses are Christians. I used to have a friend who was a Jehova's witness and she always celebrated the holidays.

And Thanksgiving is religious, it was brought over by pilgrims, and these pilgrims from England or whatever were Christian [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Yeah, Thanksgiving was about the Pilgrims and Indians. But it was also about the bounty during harvest time, and thanking God for the blessing of abundant food. But that aspect has seemed to fall by the wayside.

Anyway, I am going to request off Christmas, so I can travel back up north and spend it with my family. So, I'm sure I will be working Thanksgiving, New Year's, Easter, etc. But like Melikasa said, you have to choose your holidays wisely. Can't have them all off. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]