Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Apparently, SV's such as norwalk virus are constantly changing and mutating..but is their anyhope at all for a vaccine in the future, or even any vaccine that would lesson the symptoms? What have you all heard?

I think because norwalk viruses aren't life threatening illnesses there isn't really any work into developing a vaccine for them. Plus, the fact that they have such fast mutation rates would make developing a vaccine extremely difficult. You could come up with a vaccine for one strain, but within a few months that strain would have mutated so much that the vaccine would no longer be useful against it so it's basically money and work down the drain...and no one being substantially safer from stomach viruses even if they've had the vaccine.

Edited by: chicajojobe

Hi there!

My father's wife (she's awful, so I refuse to call her stepmom!) became infected with Norwalk on a recent cruise to Greece. Because I've been thinking about taking a cruise (I'm not anymore!) I read up on it.
    The main reason there is no vaccine for it is because there are many different strains, and (unlike regular influenza) having one type of norovirus does not make you immune to another. I'm sure there are scientists out there working on vaccines (like they are for Ebola and such), but until then I suppose we all have to be very careful and clean.
    There is, once again, a vaccine out there for rotavirus, but that generally only infects children and if an adult happens to catch it they say the symptoms are pretty mild.
    Hope this helps!

Alvin answered this question on the sticky post as well. He gives a scientific explanation for just what you've said here! No one would seriously fund research for such a vaccine, as it isn't life-threatening, merely annoying and mostly the worst effects are felt by children. Sigh....
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I would have thought enough working days were lost to make it worthwhile to work on a vaccine - not to mention the possible danger to seriously ill patients when there's a hospital outbreak. Ah well, maybe someday...

I guess the problem would be they'd have to come up with a new vaccine every month or so....the virus changes so often. Not worth it! Especially when the people most affected are children, not working adults apparently. Oh well....you never know what miracles modern science may come up with some day!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.