Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Panic attacks!

Ok Im new to the group but I wanted to share my most recent experience that makes me thing I have this phobia. The weekend before last all the women in my family decided to take a trip to a lake here in our state and stay in a cabin. I was doing fine until we got into the city that the lake was in. It was back in the woods with winding, up and down roads. Now when I was little I used to get car sick & I had a deep fear of v* but I really havent had too much of a problem with it since I was 13 or 14. Well when we were going through the roads I noticed my palms were getting sweaty and I started to get really nervous. I was PANICKING! I felt trapped and I was afraid I would v* everywhere. It made me feel better if I was talking because it was like my mind was off of the road. So I just started talking about stupid stuff. But it really wasnt working. I wanted to roll the windows down so if I did v*, atleast I could do it out the window or something. But then I started freaking out more because I havent v* in so long, I was affraid I wouldnt even know if I could tell when I was about to. Somehow I managed to get through the ride but even when we actually got to the cabin, it took me atleast an hour before I calmed down. I guess I did pretty good at hiding my panic because nobody said anything. I just hate that. I kept trying to tell myself that I was being silly and there is nothing wrong but you CANT control it. Sometimes Im so ashamed and I feel stupid. The weirdest part is I havent really had a problem with this in so long. Why now?? My son had been sick the week before and I think that may have done something to me. But usually I dont have trouble w/my kids v* its just the thought of me doing it that freaks me out. Anyway, I hope things get better, I dont want to go through that again. Sorry so long! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Hey there breeokc,
    Firstly welcome to the boards! Its a great place to come and vent or get encouragement. Im glad you found us!

You know this past weeked I had to be in a windy-road carride in the back seat, and I also started to freak a little. It was ok tho, but yea I know situacions like that can bring on some panic, because you feel real trapped. I really don't like that. I know when you are panicking so bad, and nobody knows you are, I cant count how many times Ive really been a mess inside but no one could know the difference. Dont feel stupid, its the phobia that is making you feel like this, its not like you purposly try to.