Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Last night I was talking to my husband and I was telling about this site and I told him about Christianne's experience at the pumpkin patch and he said, "whoa, just imagine if that would have happened to you!" I told him, "i'd rather not". I know I would have freaked out big time! I said the good thing about my emet, it that I am super observant and I know when someone is not feeling well. I could sense things and I try to get out of the situation before 'it' happens.

We started talking about when my grandpa was in the hospital and my mom told me to stay with him. At that point in the conversation I was crying. I remembered that day clearly.

First of all, I HATE hospitals, they make me nervous! i cannot be calm in a hospital room especially if the person just came out of surgery. You know, anesthesia and side effects are not good for emet people. Well that day my grandpa seemed fine he was responsive and was still able to move, so I said fine. Later that night I was getting real anxious because I noticed my grandpa kept swallowing hard and his face was getting pale. I knew something bad was going to happen. I got up to walk to the hallway because I knew what was coming next and sure enough he ended up v*ing. Mind you my grandma and my aunt were in the hallway with me because they were saying bye to me.

I started crying and they asked me what was wrong. I told them, I had just heard grandpa v*. They thought I was making it up and my grandma went back in and called my aunt in with her after she seen he had v*ed. I was in the hallway still shaking and pale and the nurse asked if I was fine, I said I'll be okay and she told me to sit down while she took my blood pressure. The results were not normal especially for a teen.

My grandma came out of the room with the soiled towels and I flinched at the sight. My grandma was tired and I knew she could not stay, so my aunt, who know how I am volunteered to stay with my grandpa. I was so relieved and while I was driving my grandma home I called my mom crying and all she could say was, "how could you be so selfish, you need to get over it!" I apoligized to my grandma and she understood me. That me feel better to hear her tell me it was okay.

After talking to my husband about this I was sitting in the office and thought to myself. I could have spent more time with my grandpa before he died if it wasn't for this darn fear! I was so terrified to be in the same room as him when he died with fear of his body ejecting all his body fluids as a natural muscle reactionafter death. Why?! Why couldn't I just stay in there with him?! I get so pissed off at myself for being so weak.

When my mother had cancer, I didn't visit her for the first month of her treatment because I was so scared of her v*ing! God forbid, but what if something tragic would have happened. I would not be able to live with myself knowing that I could not see my mother because of v*!

These are two people that I love with all my heart and I failed them. I know people say when you have your own kids , it isn't gross or hard, but I am terrified I will fail them as well. I can't go on with this fear! I want it to be gone! I've missed out in a lot of things in life I don't want to miss out in my kids!

Who ever read this thank you for listening
    ***Elvia***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm sorry your are feeling upset and with those sorts of things it can
    certainly be really difficult.
    I have always felt really guilty becuase i was too afraid to fly to visit
    my grandparents. It had been years that had gone by and i hadn't
    seen them and one day my grandfather died. I couldn't even go to
    the funeral becuase i was too afraid and i felt really guilty about it. I
    just stayed home and watched funny movies. Then a couple of years
    later i found out that my other grandfather had cancer in his
    esophogus which causes a ton of symtoms that are hardly emet
    friendly. I had a hard time staying with him in his room and
    everytime he coughed i got really upset.
    I felt guilty for not helping more but i realized that i felt guilty
    becuase it seemed like i didn't love them as much becuase i didn't
    help, but i realized that i didn't love them less, but was afraid more.
    It felt to me that i had failed them but i knew that i never chose to
    have this phobia and although i still feel guilty, i know that i loved
    them both very much and it was never my intention to hurt them. I
    hope that makes sense. I understand what your going through and i
    know it isnt' fun.....I hope you feel better!
    ~viva~

I've never gone through caring (or being expected to care) for someone with symptoms an emet wouldn't feel comfortable with. But I know exactly how you're feeling when it comes to caring for your kids.

I just recently got engaged, and my partner's adamant about having kids. I would love it, but I'm afraid of the kind of parent I'd be in certain situations. It's something I've talked about endlessly with my partner but the fear is still deep and real.

You're definitely not the only one...and I'll be the first to agree with you...not having control over this phobia has the capacity to steal very precious moments.

Livielove, isn't it so frustrating that some people around you don't understand what is wrong and judge you? I hate it when my family mocks me! At least we aren't alone and there are people that understand us

Colourful, that is one thing that goes through my mind everyday! I am having twins and I fear both of them getting s* and I would hate to have a horrible reaction in front of them and be the cause of them possibly getting emet. I would hate for my kids to suffer from this. Not fun at all :-/
    ***Elvia***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It really is frustrating! My dad doesn't even try to understand in the
    least, and will get upset at me whenever I am upset. I always tried to
    be as discreet as possible becuase none of my family knows about my
    phobia. But especially in those times it is quite difficult not to get
    panicky and have my own family not think im a nut.
    I certainly am glad there are other people who understand what we are
    going through!
    ~viva~

I felt that same way...and I totally upset when i found out my aunt was
    on the way to the hospital because she was on her way out from her
    bresat cancer.....i was so freaked out i was sobbing at work when i
    found out and left...i couldnt go to the hospital alone, so i went with
    my mom and sister...and she just layed there....it was really hard to
    see her, and i was slightly nervous but i wanted to see her before she
    died and for her to see me, knowing that i love her, as my second
    mom....i totally understand where your coming from. you cant take it
    hard on yourself...i dont think we can really control this phobia. but
    thats my opioion...
    I love Sam

When I first posted this I was actually regretting it. I thought to myself that no one was that bad (no offense to anyone please) and that on important issues you could or wouldput it aside for your loved ones. You all made me feel so much better. I am really glad I found this place!
    ***Elvia***

Grelvia, I totally understand too! When my grandma died 3 years ago my emet was in a good stage and I didn't think too much about it when I visited her in the hospital as she was dying. But I went to visit a friend's mom in the hospital a few months ago after she had a heart attack, and I was really afraid because she was burping and said she had been really sick earlier. At one point she thought she was going to be sick, and I just held the v* tray in front of her face, paralyzed with terror. Shedidn't v*, butI shook for like 15 minutes afterwards!So, I know just how you feel. You are not weird!

Oh my God! You are sooo brave! I hope to one day be able to do that!
    ***Elvia***

damn, pianolover big kudos to you! I'd much rather be killed than have to hold a v* tray

Wow thanks! I think you will be able to do it Grelvia, especially if one day you have to take care of someone super close to you like husband or kids . . . at least I hope it's easier in those situations, as I don't have kids and I haven't seen my husband v* yet, but that's what they say! Good luck!

I'm sorry that this weighs so heavily on you. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]We emets do often miss out on a lot of living because of our phobia and anxiety. And yeah, sometimes we are selfish and then the guilt comes with it. But don't beat yourself up over it; instead try to start healing and living!