Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: The day of puke

Ever have one of those days where it seems that everywhere you look, "whomp, there it is"?

My "pay for traveling/shopping" job is at a hotel. I usually work in the afternoons/evening, so this morning I was a bit surprised when one of my co-workers called asking if I could come in earlier. Apparently she had just went to the back office to eat her lunch, and ended up getting sick. She had been feeling crummy for awhile now (about a week), but it was mostly cold/flu symptoms, so she was pretty surprised when she ended up vomitting.

I said of course I would come in earlier so she could leave (LOL- the whole time wondering where she had been sick, and if it was gone by now. Me catching anything is not really a concern to me, as I know this person is hygienic, and there is no way her vomit would be alive and kicking by the time I got there. I just didn't want to see any evidence!). I got there, and not an hour into my shift did someone come down and say they had left something in their room but they had already checked out.

Since housekeeping didnt get to it yet, I took him to the room to see if he could find whathe lost. I only opened the door and stood in the doorway- like I was going into a hotel room with a random. After he found what he was looking for and left, housekeeping called down and asked who had stayed in that room. Apparently, he had been sick all over the wall and carpet near the bed. Man, if I would have seen that not only would my anxiety have shot through the roof, but I would haveput an extra cleaning charge to his bill. I KNOW this was alcohol related, as he was a walk in from the day before, and when I had checked him in he and his friend were asking where the closest liquor/beer store was. That, and he was completely shifty-eyed and nervous while we were on his way too and from the room, and when he got downstairs he high-tailed out of there even though one of his friends was calling to him as he was leaving. He KNEW he had done something wrong.

man, twice at work in one day- wonderful, lol. I will also soon be starting to work the audit shift- which is from 11pm to 7am. During this time, I will be the only person at the front desk, and there will be a security guard on premise. It will be Friday and Sat evening- and we have a large bar next door that has live bands those nights. There are a LOOOT of drunken walkovers....I'm not sure why I volunteered, lol. Maybe it's my way of testing myself. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment. Who knows- all I know if that if someone is sick in the lobby, I will wake up the manager on duty to clean it because it is definitely not in my job description.

On a more interesting note, I found out that one of the guys I work with also has emet-tendencies. When I mentioned that one of the girls left early because she was sick, the first thing he asked was wether we had wiped down the counters and phones. That, and he related to me the fact that the last time she was sick, it came on suddenly and she vomitted in a garbage right to the side of the front desk. This garbage is at the only entrance to the front desk area, and he said that his first instinct was to jump the counter. He couldn't walk past her, because then he would have to see/be near it, so he couldn't move away from where he was until it was all taken care of. Interesting.

I am constantly amazed by my physiological reaction to all of this. I am good with the self talk, and not really letting this affect a lot of my life or my relationship with others. But, even though the mental aspect has improved, the physiological aspect hasn't. Coming into work and reading a maintenance request from the morning asking for vomit to be cleaned from outside the front of the hotel will immediately make me feel nauseous and clammy, even though I KNOW it was long gone by the time I got there. It's bothersome how my body reacts automatically even though my mind is telling me to chill.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey Amber,
    Wow a lot of v* in a day! Eek. Well, it sounds like you handled it good tho.
    In a way I know what you mean about how you are telling yourself to chill, yet your body is like "noo I wont!", like for instance today at work when I first came in I started feeling kind of nauseas, and immidiately my body was like "aahhh!" tho I was like trying to tell myself "its ok, this has happened before and it passes, it'll go away, chill". Its funny but you know that 70s show? I love that show, but anyway in one episode Hyde is teaching Jackie to be "zen" and be like all "whatever.." and I always think of that when I'm freaking at work or anything and it does help surprizingly. I'm like "I gotta be "zen" about this". I know sounds stupid, anyways good job on getting through that.

LOL- I LOVE that 70s show. It's kinda funny, but my dad is essentially the grown up version of Kelso (only not as vapid). He even LOOKED like Kelso in the 70s.

The next time my body starts to go haywire, I am totally going to get a mental image of Hyde telling me to be 'zen'. Rather, I will picture him telling my stomach to be zen.

And thanks I am constantly amazed at how much I can freak on the inside, but still be relatively 'normal' on the outset. If only the interior can match the exterior, then I'd be in business!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

damn that does suck! i would have prolly freaked to see v* on the floor and walls it i was u too! forget that.. even non emets wouldnt want to see that or have to clean it up for that matter!

My ex's mom was a housekeeper and she had been for about 15 yrs or something like that.. she would find the grossest things .. and even dead people from overdosing or suicides. How creepy would that be? go to clean a room and find a dead body! ick.. anyhow.. im getting of track ... AGAIN.. sorry . great job handling everything though!

\"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

Ouch I hate days like that its like theres no where to hide or something. I once went into the bathroom one morning at school it was like 8 or something and i had my mp3 on but then all or a sudden i heard this girl puking soooooooo loudly i almost died on the spot luckily i didnt see anything but i did end up going to class like a frantic nutcase. That same day I was leaving school and I saw a huge pile of puke right outside the doors across the street , as soon as I saw it I looked away and keep walking so it wasnt that bad but then ...... I was walking by a bus stop in the middle of downtown and i swear to goodness I have never seen a pile of puke as big as that one it seemed unreal to me I ran like a maniac when i saw it and i bet people were lauphing at me but at that point i didnt even vare if i was dressed or not i just knew i had to get the heck out of there. Oh and i should mention that my university is located in the center of downtown so there is drunken people who are bound to get sick walking all over the place daily. that was such a horrible day that i dont think i'll ever forget.just thought id share my experience with you lol .

I understand what you mean Amber, I feel like even though sometimes I can handle people getting sick my body reacts without me. For example if I'm out and someone is drunk and gets sick then it really doesn't bother me because I can't catch it so in my head I'm ok but because it;s vomit and my body is so well trained to fear it, straight away my heart will start beating faster and I'll get shakey and it pisses me off because in my head I'm always "But this is ok"

I would never ever want to be the person to clean a hotel room. Whenever I stay in a hotel I always clean up and tidy after myself b/c I can't even imagine the amount of disgusting stuff people have to clean. Blah!

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

What that guy did in that hotel room is gross! My son threw up in a hotel once, and we cleaned it all up ourselves, as well as inform the staff what had happened. They were really grateful and said that many people just leave it - how can they do that?

It's interesting what you said about the body's response. I'm like this too - my head says one thing but my body panics anyway - and I have no control over either of them!

Hehe thats funny that your dad looks like Kelso.
    Yea just remember Hyde being all like "whatever...." "shine grasshopper shine!!"[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Edited by: Galadriel

Hmmm...I like that. Staying "zen." Totally what I need to do. It baffles me completely how the mind and the body can react on two totally different levels. I just thought I was bad at the self talk. It's nice to know others feel the same way, sometimes.