Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Yes me again!

So since Friday I've been fighting a really bad cold, sore throat, bunged up etc etc. I've been panicking on and off because I've been really nauseated. Yesterday I came into work even though I'd only had 3 hours sleep and after 3 hrs at work I had to go home. Partly because I couldn't talk or function but also partly because my ibs kicked in and I had the WORST nausea ever. I seriously thought I would throw up.

I'm at work now for my 12 hour shift and I feel really trapped like I can't go home if I need to. I had about 8 hours sleep last night and while I do feel better I don't feel great. My head hurts kinda badly.

But the worst thing is I feel sick to my stomach right now and although I really want to stay I'm findng it so hard./ I hve this week and next to get through but I'm struggling a lot.

I'm so scared I'm going to throw up. I feel so sick right now and so anxious about a lot of things. Please help?!

I hate this time of year so so much, it makes me depressed when it gets so dark and I really struggle. When I come to work it's pitch black and when I leave it's dark. Every year at around this time my anxiety goes crazy. I think I have SAD though I've never been diagnosed.

xxxxxxxxEdited by: hippychick
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Hi, I'm here! Sorry you're feeling bad. Remember it's probably just the mucous that's making you feel n*. As you know, it does this to alot of people and it's unlikely to make you v*. Is there any way you can pop out to a chemist? If you get some motilium 10 the n* will go away and you'll be able to function. Also, take some paracetamol to get rid of the other pains.

Thanks Suze, I'm not in that much pain except for my headache, it's just the nausea that is really bad right now and it's making me really freak out. I don't think I can do this.

ETA: I just had really bad D*. I don't think I can do this. I want to leaveEdited by: hippychick
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Can you take an hour off, and go get some tea or something? Maybe if you take Suze's advice, and have some Motilium, and give if a chance to kick in, you will feel good enough to go back to work. God job for trying to stick it out, I know it is hard. I hope you feel better soon!

Well, can you leave? To be honest, you don't sound well enough to be in work anyway! If it's a 12 hour shift, can you take a few hours off and come back early afternoon?

Guess I'm not being of much help here, but I do know how it feels to be trapped and feeling unwell, and it scares the crap out of me. I'd say if you can't get to a chemist then see if you can leave.

I've never taken any anti emetic except reglan so I'm too scared to take any pills. I am tempted to take one of my immodium tablets but I've been trying so hard not take them as I was taking them too much. It's just so hard and I'm freaking so badly.

If you can get motilium, then I promise you, there are no side effects whatsoever. They are a tiny little pill, you only need to take one, and the nausea will go in 20 mins. There is absolutely no drowsiness with them, or anything elsenasty, I promise you.

I'd hold back on the immodium for now, unless the d* continues. It could just have happenend because you are so anxious; it might have nothing to do with how your stomach is feeling right now.

Can you get any fresh air? What are you actually doing at the moment?

Suze I could leave but I do need the money as my contract will be ending soon but to be honest I'd feel like such a failure letting anxiety win.

So do you think how you're feeling is anxiety rather than stomach related? If it is, then you need to manage that and you should feel better. How do you usually cope when you feel like this? Do you chew gum, suck mints, get fresh air, sip water etc? Even if you need to take time out for half an hour, just do it.

i think the d* is from the mucus too...im so sorry i hope you feel better...
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey Louise,
    I am sorry you aren't feeling good. I know its real hard when you are at work and feeling crappy. I bet the nausea is from your cold. I always get some nausea feeling/stomach not feeling good when I have a cold.

Could you run out to the drugstore (you guys have chemists over there?) and get some anti-nausea meds? I bet if you took the nausea away with something it would make it a lot easier to get through the day.

If you do need to go home tho, don't beat yourself up for it, its ok. You are obviously sick with a bad cold at any rate, and you did at least try.

Oh gosh...you poor thing. I do admire your tenacity, but you must be so anxious. One thing you might try if you're still at work is to imagine what it would be like to be home in the safest, most cozy place at home - mine is all cuddled up with the dogs and the fire on and the TV. If you can imagine that "safe place", then you may just be able to imagine if you'd feel sick if you were there or not. Your body should cooperate in this little game. If your body imagines that you'd feel ok if you were home, then there's the proof it's just anxiety and you're really ok. This little trick helped me a LOT when I was going through treatment for cancer and every radiation treatment I thought I was sick for sure, but then I'd imagine being home and - presto - I knew I was fine.

hope you're better soon, hun!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

aww u should really go home. You don't sound well enough to be at work

Thats interesting Sage, so you just visualize yourself at home in your cozy safe place and then the nausea will go away if its anxiety?

Loiuse I hope you made it okay!

Wow, you are a fighter! Sometimes being at work when I feel awful is helpful for me though, because it forces me to calm down.

One thing about your post jumped out at me. You mentioned this time of year always getting you down. I'm not sure if there is a connection, but maybe you have Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Hey there

Sage I do that all the time! If I'm feeling sick and anxious I think would the nausea go away if I was at home right now. If the answer is yes then I'm just panicking and it's not real.

I went home at lunchtime because I found that I was too anxious to eat and I couldn't go all day without eating and I'd had enough of fighting it.

I feel a little better today, I slept for about 12 hours last night lol so I'm hoping to be well enough to go in tomorrow.

Marie I think that maybe I do have SAD because it always seems to be around this time of year that my anxiety kicks up a few notches and I struggle to get on with things. It really sucks!

Hey Louise,sorry to hear u've not been well with this cold virus and just feeling totally out of sinc and your anxiety is bad...I know exactly where your coming from the last 6-8weeks have been bad for me,i guess over the the last 6mths I've been gradually slipping back wards,i guess thats from losing my father...but the only thing that keeps me going is knowing that I've been in this position b4 and i can get out of it...and lead a normal life again for some period of time...I hope u find something deep down that will bring u through this terrible time for u...This weather sucks at the moment,and although we had a good summer,that doesn't help when its constant rain and dreary now....Keep positive mate and u did well to even go to work yesterday,sometimes we have to give in and do what are bodies are telling us to do,it sounds like u are not over your cold totally,hope u feel better soon...

take care for now Vicky xx

Galadriel - I didn't mean that the anxiety would go away....just that you would know, as Hippychick said, that it's only anxiety and you're not actually sick. In the LONG RUN that's what helped me to have it go away, but it didn't work instantly. Once you know, though, that you're not really sick, you're just anxious - it does help somewhat.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Hey Sage,
    Oh, so what you do is think "if I was at home right now would I be feeling nauseas"? and if it is anxiety nausea then it will dissipate? Lol sorry I'm not catching on. Or, do you think "if I was at home right now would I be feeling nauseas?" and if your answer is "no I wouldn't be" then you know its anxiety nausea?

I guess it's both, it's like...if I'm feeling sick and I'm panicking about that and I think "would I stop feeling sick if I were home right now, would I feel this way" if the answer is yes I'd feel fine then I know it's anxiety nausea and it allows me to cal;m myself down.