Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have been struggling off and on with Emetophobia for the past twenty years or so. In the past five I have come to manage it fairly well. Then, two years ago I had my first kid and it all came rushing back with a fury. But my fear now is with my kid v*. It also didn't help that he got gastro bugs seven times in one year; one of them having to admit him to the hospital. That experience has left me in a bad state. My own fear of v* has taken a distant back seat to the possibility of my son v*. To the point where I am performing all of the text book emet habits, but with my kid! It is driving me insane! And now, I HAVE ANOTHER KID ON THE WAY! Does anyone else share the same thing? Is there a way to get through this?

I don't have any advice for you, but I wanted to say welcome.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]I have two kids, and my emet has gotten worse since having them. I am mostly scared they will catch something and give it to me. Feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk.

Believe me, all the mums on here will understand. I was coping ok with my emet until my sons came along - now I feel as though I'm on constant v* alert. I have tried my hardest to hide it because I don't want them to be like me. I've taught them the importance of hand washing (without being obsessive about it!) and I'm sure that's why they don't seem to get as many sv*s as their friends.

Welcome to the group - we all know how you feel!

I'm exactly the same. I worry continually about my kids getting it and then passing it on to me. I do seem to cope quite well though when they are ill, it's more of a worry wondering "if and when" rather than not being able to deal with it when it does happen - a control thing I guess.

I don't have much advice except that I find each time gets a little easier and I cope with my younger child being ill more than the elder one - for some strange reason! Good luck, and remember you're not alone!

I also wanted to say welcome. The same thing happened to me- my emet was no longer a daily issue in my life and I was finally feeling normal again. I had my daughter and everything was fine- then she got sick. Holy crap! I lost it. I can't imagine! 7 times in 1 year???? How did you manage? But to answer your question, my daughter is now 10 and she seems to react normally around sickness and when she is sick. No emet here (other than my pathetic self! : )
    \"This too shall pass\"

I can do a reverse: I am petrified of my father v*ing, and i feel so bad because he is my father and i love him but i can see he's sad because he knows that he scares me for no legitimate reason.

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I have always had emet but it is worse since I had kids. The worry of if and when is what is the hardest for me. I have always been totally honest with my kids about it. They know I am terrified but I am strong and take care of them anyway. Neither one of them has the least bit of emet in them. Actually them v* doesn't bother me. It is the fear of me doing it!!

Welcome to the site!

And, chalk one more up to getting worse with the arrival of kids. I
    seemed to be coping and handling it day to day, even with being an
    elementary school teacher, I was Ok, most of the time. But, when we
    were on a trip and my son got rotavirus, it ruined my good streak.

The great thing about this place is that we have all been in similar
    situations at one time or another. Or, we might be there in the future.
    But, we have each other to learn from and lean on.

Take care!
    Julie

Hi there and welcome!!

It is not easy being emetophobic with children, and there have been many times where I have felt guilty and awful for the way I have handled it when my son has v*ed. I wish there was some magical advice out there I could give you, but unfortunately I'm struggling with this just like you and the other mommies out there.
    It does, however, get easier as they get older (my son's 9 now) and doesn't seem to v* as often. I still handle it badly (shaking, panicking, spraying everything with lysol!) but I DO handle it. My mother helps me immenesely when it comes to that, and hopefully you have someone with you that can help ease you through the toughest emet moments.
    There's alot of help on this forum, even if it's just some kind words and reassurance when you need it.
    Hope this helps!!