Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

What do all you emet parents do when you take your kids to the doctor? Do you let them play with other kids in the waiting room? Make them sit in one spot to lessen the exposure?
    I'm kinda freaking out right now, because my three year old is overdue for her yearly checkup, and she needs to see the dentist as well, and I am terrified of taking her. It always used to make me uneasy, and I would bathe her afterwards, but now I feel frozen. I know I need to schedule her an appt., but I am scared. I feel like a HORRIBLE MOM! It doesn't help that she is hyperactive, and will not sit and read a book while we wait. She has to run all over the place touching everything! Help!![img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I know how you feel! I hate taking my sons to the doctor. The waiting room is a nightmare for me. Sometimes they'll sit quietly, but most of the time they won't. I try to arrive right on my appointment time so we won't have to wait. i won't let them play with the toys either. I take hand gel with me, then make sure we all wash our hands when we get home!

I also dread taking my children to the doctors. There is one of those little tables with the moving beads on it there and my son always heads straight for it. I try and distract him but he always manages to play with it.I take an ample supply of baby wipes and avoid letting them use the toilet at all costs.

Oh, I just let my kids do whatever these days, but I get them to wash their hands once we're home. Some months ago I knew the sv was going around and I worried for weeks and took every precaution possible with them, but they still got it! I've changed alot since then and I refuse to let myself go overboard with this emet. Why not take the risk and let your daughter be a normal kid in the waiting room. Really, it could be one of the biggest steps you take in getting over this. The chances are high that she'll suffer no ill-effects and you'll be giving yourself a pat on the back for not letting emet get the better of you!

Whatever you do though, hope it all goes well!

I'm not a mom, so I try not to give advice about things I don't have experience with but why are you scared to take her to the dentist?

The doctor I can understand since there's likely to be sick kids there, but it isn't as if she's likely to catch anything from someone at the dentist. If anything it seems like people would be less likely to go to the dentist if they're sick.

Edited by: chicajojobe

I don't let my kids play with the toys in there or the other kids. They sit with me. They usually bring stuff with them to color or gameboys and leapsters. I know exactly how you feel.

lol my mom NEVER let me or my sister play in the waiting room when we were kids, and shes not emet.

eww, one time when I was 9, I went to the doctors for what apparently turned out to be a misdiagnosis (I really had anxiety disorder...) and OMFG so gross.... I couldn't figure out where to sit in the waiting room cuz I swear EVERY SINGLE KID had a puke bucket with them. And like, the room was packed. And I swear at least every 5 min. someone would v* into their bucket. sooo gross...I swear that was one of the worst days of my life [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

Ohh, Sophia, that's awful!! The reason I'm scared of the dentist too is that our pediatrician and dentist are in the same office, and share the same germ-infested waiting room.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I have the same fear at the doctor's office,but my daughter is old enough to understand not to touch anything. Also, there is hopscotch on the floor so she can just jump and not touch all the toys. Oh, and I also bring sanitizing gel with me - don't leave home without it.

This is my first visit to this site and I love it. Any advice for a newcomer? [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

When I had to take my kids o the dr., I'd always have them bring their own coloring book or handheld game. Emet or not, I avoided having to see my kids suffer an illness, which I think is so sad. You know, when you see kids who have fevers and stuff, they look so miserable, and they should be playing around and feeling good. I see nothing wrong with protecting your kids from getting sick.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

My opinion clearly differs from every one else's here!! My kids have never become ill from being at the doctor's and if it was a big risk, don't you think the doctors would have cottoned on to this by now and done something about it? I know we're all at different stages with out emet but don't we strive to be 'normal'? Non-emet mothers let their kids play, and I want to be like one of them. Sometimes we have to push ourselves a little bit. Now obviously if a kid is sitting there with a bucket, well I'd wait outside! However, I would otherwise try not to go too overboard as I certainly don't want my kids to have the same phobia of germs as I do!