Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Has it cause you to quit a job? Not get a job? Lose touch with family friends?? I'm curious cause I feel like I can't do ANYTHING with this stupid fear! I have missed a lot of work recently but I still have my job *whew* but I don't go anywhere or do anything!!! I'm just curious how it affects everyone else?
    I CAN get through this! ♥Melanie♥

Well, I would say emet affects me most away from home meaning on away from home trips, not day to day stuff but like traveling hours away and spending the night away from home. Thats when its hardest for me, because normally I eat like a bird till I get home, and I always feel somewhat anxious like the whole "what if I get sick" type thoughts. Its gotten better, but its still a trial.

Day to day tho it doesn't affect me too much unless I am already feeling nauseas and have to go somewhere or something, or am out and start feeling sick and am in a situacion where I feel "trapped". I still struggle some with these times. Other than that tho I have gotten a lot better at dealing. I still have to push myself tho like today I got feeling real ill (due to milk and cereal, maybe I'm lactose intolerant somewhat?) and had to go to work later and was feeling sick thro the beginning of my shift, but I just talked myself through it and stayed. Ugh it is hard tho.

Emet has affected almost every aspect of my life. I don't take the kids many places, I don't eat out much, I carry antiemetics and hand wipes with me everywhere. When I take the kids to the grocery store, I wipe the cart down with homemade bleach wipes before I will put my daughter in the cart. I am seriously considering homeschooling, and emet is part of the reason for that, though I have other reasons. I'm sure there are many more. I am so used to my wierd habits, that I don't even think about them sometimes, they are so ingrained.

It affects a lot.

First of all I do not eat many things that I I'd like to eat but I just
    get too much stress thinking if it was good and so on, so I simply
    avoid it.

I also am a person who stays home too much. Again, I avoid people
    because they spread germs. I find it less stressful to stay in almost
    all the time. This leads to the number of friends I have..and that's
    only 1.

I never seem to relax when I am at a party or some kind of celebration.
    I am always so tensed just because I am afraid of getting sick. This
    does not allow me to feel happy almost anywhere.

The results of my studies became worse because I cannot concentrate on
    them as I could before. If I am worrying about them, I get sick, and
    that's terrifying.

I avoid very intimate contacts with my family and my bf. I sometimes
    avoid kissing everybody just because I am afraid of getting some virus
    or something.

I simply think about it too much and I miss the opportunity to live a happy life.

You only live once

My emet seems to go thru stages, in my teens it was bad, in my 20's almost non existent, i spent several yearsgoing out and getting drunk several times a week (no v* invoklved, god knows how!!!)

In my 30's its bad again. Until 2001 I worked for the government and had to travel from Ipswich to Birmingham (200 ish miles) a couple of times a month for meetings, i also had to arrange and attend consumer meetings 30 miles away, i ised to get lifts and go by train and althothe emt was there I coped. However since then my new job doesnt involve travel (until recently) and I have lapsed into old ways, I struggle to travel anywhere, eating out is an issue, but if I do I stick to places I know and like.

I dont want to be restricted likethis so I have decided at the ripe old age of nearly 38 that i will learn to drive. Im hoping this will help.

Laney xx

Although I don't have any day to day issues, I find that emet affects me in the following ways

-I won't go on a boat

-flying makes me very nervous and causes me to enjoy my holiday less (but I still do it!)

-I won't travel on a bus with my students because they frequently get motion sick and I would have to be in charge

-I am very uncomfortable around drunk people

Edited by: happyteacher