Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Did anyone see it?!?

***somewhat graphic***

I NEVER waych Oprah, because I really don't like her, but of course I had to watch today's show because were 3 women on it, and one of them had OCD, and it was severely hindering her life, so I wanted to see that part.

Well, one of the other women was on because she suffered from bulimia. I didn't mind seeing a day in her life where she would binge on all kinds of food, but THEN, with warning from Oprah, they showed her v*-ing SEVERAL times, very graphically!!! I mean, she actually V* into plactic bags, then it showed her loading the hidden (from her hubby) bags FULL of V* into a box for the dumpster! It did not censor this one single bit. UGH!!!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

That's disgusting! I think even people who aren't emets would be disturbed by that. I understand Oprah might like to do some shows that are confronting or whatever... Bt please-that is such bad taste. I mean she'd hardly do a show about someone who's addicted to laxitives and then show them having diarrhoea would she? Eww! I'm sorry you had to see that! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

LOL~~~ I think I'd rather see the D* than bags full of v*, and the girl actively v*-ing. It was bad. People in the audience were even groaning!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Yes, I saw this show! It was very gross. I can't believe she keep these bags in her closet! I saw the show probably over a year ago (guess its a repeat) and I can still tell you exactly what the girl looked like and what the v* in the bags looked like....EWWW!!!
    Christi
    *^**^***^****^*****^******^**
    Proud Mommy to Zachary

That is so sad...but why would she keep the bags....
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ewww. I saw the commercial for that one, and I'm glad I didn't watch it. I wonder how her hubby could not know about the bags in the closet. Wouldn't they smell? Sorry, I know that's gross, but I really wonder. What was his reaction when he found out?

Lol yea I'd rather see diarhoea too!

Yuck I hadn't thought about the smell part of it.... That just added a whole other dimension of disgustingness lol

Quote Originally Posted by rubysoho120
    That is so sad...but why would she keep the bags....

She was hiding the v* from her hubby.

~*~Charlene~*~

Quote Originally Posted by daffodil
    Ewww. I saw the commercial for that one, and I'm glad I didn't watch it. I wonder how her hubby could not know about the bags in the closet. Wouldn't they smell? Sorry, I know that's gross, but I really wonder. What was his reaction when he found out?

the hubby and the family did an "intervention" to get her some help.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

EWWWWWWWWWW

Even my husband said it was "gnarly". It grossed him out and v* doesn't bother him at all!!

It was pretty nasty. It left me with the question; why on earth is she not flushing it down the toilet?! Jeesh, you'd think her husband would be more likely to find HUGE V* bags in their closet than V* flushed down the toilet. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

There is no reason to show that kind of stuff on television. I cant stand Oprah.

too bad i didn't know about it. I would've loved to see it [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]. Honestly, v* on TV, even if its real, doesn't bother me at all. not one bit. I actually.... like it..... don't ask [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Eww that's totally gross! I may be wrong but something about her keeping the v* might be because of a psychological reason....I don't know why or how or what but there's gotta be more of a reason then just hiding it from her husband.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

To those that think it shouldn't have been shown on television- they did give a warning, right? If they warned you that the following scenes were graphic, and it related to bulemia, it was really watch at your own risk. Hey, at least they warned you! It wasn't a drive-by voming, lol (ie- when it seems to come out of nowhere).

I know that people may not see the rationale in showing it on tv, but I think it could be useful to people who have similar problems, because it definitely shows that this is a nasty disorder, and sometimes you need to see it happen to someone else before you realize this. When you do it yourself, you may not necessarily realize what you are doing, or how bad it really is.

LOL- Kutekim- I can't stand Oprah either. Has nothing to do with this one episode, but many other things. I don't like fat Oprah, I don't like thin Oprah- I even don't like in-between Oprah.

I actually saw this women on an episode of intervention- and really feel for what she and her family must be going through. As for keeping it in bags in the closet as opposed to flushing it- it probably relates to her disorder, and makes it more something that she can control. If it's in the closet, she knows it's there, and can dispose of it if and when she wants- it also makes it something that you can do anywhere in the house, as people may get suspicious if you are spending a lot of time in the bathroom. That, and I know some of us have problems using the toilet to vomit it, so it may be similar to her.

It's pretty ironic- people who don't understand theway many of us think, often say that we should do this differently, shouldn't think this way, etc- meanwhile, we have a hard time seeing/understanding something similar yet different. In many ways, I think that eating disorders are similar to emetophobia in relation to training your brain to think a certain way, and the need for control.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi there!!

I didn't catch the Oprah episode (I really don't like it much either!) but I did see the Intervention show Amber was talking about.
    It was kind of gross emet-wise, but it was mostly really sad. I think I've heard somewhere that there are many reasons bulimics v* into bags and containers and save them for a bit before throwing them out, and one girls reason was because she had some strange fear that she would clog up the plumbing and her secret would be discovered. Some of these people binge and purge several times a day and the amount of food consumed is huge, so I can kind of understand it.
    Also like Amber said some seem to use bags/containers because it's more convienent (especially in a larger household) and a bit more discreet (don't have to explain so much).
    What an awful disorder it is!

I will NEVER understand bulimia. That is like the exact opposite of us. I understand the reasoning behind it, but to do that to yourself on purpose, it just boggles my mind.</font>

i've heard of many bulimics who've actually said they fear vomiting (ie when it comes out of nowhere with the full blasts of nausea) but they're "pinge &amp; purge" v* is different because 1. they're controlling it and 2. no nausea.

I understand bulimia and believe it or not, I know of some emets who are bulimic --- bulimia has to do with control, not vomiting or weight loss. It is all about control... and making yourself vomit, is a way to control something.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

They shouldnt have showed her actually v*. thats gross. Im so glad I didnt watch that.

Purple teacher- bulimia can be about weight loss- believe me! I watched a friend drop 5 DRESS SIZES from it. She didn't feel the need to control vomiting, as she had no problem with vomit. She had low self-esteem from being overweight. When everyone started to tell her how good she looked- she kept doing it. Most bulimics don't have a problem with vomit itself(I'm not saying all, though- I can see how some emets may be bulimic), and don't neccessarily feel the need to control their vomiting habits, as we wish we could. I know I would feel more comfortable with vomiting if I could control when I did it...

Because then I could do it NEVER AT ALL!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]lol

But all I'm saying is it definitely isn't always about control... I don't see this girl anymore, but it broke my heart to see what she was doing to herself just to feel better.

Kayla

On Oprah show website, there's some pics of this vomiting girl. One of the pics has a plastic bag full of yellow vomit. It's evil, very disturbing.

can you please post the link? I'd like to see it...

I am sorry but I hate bulimics. That is just horrible, disgusting and I am glad that I didn't see it ( though my mother told me about that show)and part of me wants to beat them up for grossing me out with their v* ways.Am I f'd up or what?

I think that's pretty bad, even with a warning. I'd have switched it over if i knew there'd be a day in the life of thingy. I hate when that happens on TV, some shows are a bit more subtle and don't have huge close ups of people but other shows can be so distasteful! I guess on that show they where trying to make a point of how dramatic bulemia is but it's still pretty minging. What time of the day was this on at?

Where I live, it was on at 4pm. Kids coming home from school (like me haha) could have easily turned it on and been scarred for life.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

k I went to the site and I saw the pics.... I didn't find it that disturbing at all, I honestly would rather see v* than blood on TV/pics [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

Eeeeeee! Why'd I look?! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]I must have been looking through my eyelids when I watched the show. I think I might have rather seen a bag full of anything else.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

ya know how the website description said that the woman was "attractive"? I don't know about you, but .... this sounds mean, but to me she definitely looked sickly. Like, I don't know if that's just how she looks or what, but ya like... her face looked weird.