Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: New Member

Hi, I'm new here. I've been reading posts for a while now, but I think it's time I introduced myself. I'm Jenny and I'm 18 years old and I have suffered from emetophobia since I was four years old. While IHATEvomiting myself, my biggest fear is witnessing someone else doing it. I can't stand the thought of someone vomiting on or near me! When someone says "I feel sick" I automatically go into panic mode. I assume the worst - that they are going to vomit in front of me and get it all over my clothes, purse, etc. My heart startspounding really fast, I feel very hot and dizzy, my hands go ice cold and then I feel that I am going to get sick, too.

I have had twoEXTREMELY bad experiences with emetophobia. The first was during my freshman year of high school at a choir concert. I was sitting with my choir in the audience watching our men's choir sing. We weren't scheduled to go on for another half an hour. About half way through their third song, I noticed that a boy in the front row looked like he was trying to stop himself from coughing, and he kept swallowing. I immediately panicked, and thought, "Oh no, what if -" and then, BAM! He projectile vomited all over the stage. The whole audience started gasping and I had such a bad panic attack in the middle of hundreds of people that I thought I was going to die. The worst part was after he got sick, he ran through the audience and did it twice more! I had to go onstage and perform in two different groups after that, and I was shaking so badly I could barely stand through the performances.

The next bad experience wasa year after that on a band trip. Our high school music program is absolutely amazing, and we wereselected to perform in the Rose Bowl Parade in <st1lace w:st="&#111;n"><st1:City w:st="&#111;n">Pasadena</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="&#111;n">California</st1:State></st1lace>. The trip lasted seven days, and a virus went around and EVERYONE got sick. (Amazingly, only three kids missed the parade). We were traveling on buses and people were getting sick in the aisles, etc. One kid got sick right behind me. I basically spent most of that trip plugging my ears, closing my eyes and shaking.

Anyway, I have started my freshman year at college and my anxiety has increased big time.I try not to stop myself from going out in public, but when I do I am constantly on alert, and trying to judge how "sick" everyone looks. I am afraid to tell my friends about my phobia because they might judge me andthink I'm overreacting. I am also afraid to go out with my friends sometimes because they all get really drunk and one of them tends to vomit frequently. I have also developed these stupid OCD rituals that I have to do -- like if I repeat something in my head

Hi Im Laney, welcome to the site, i hope you feel the benefit of all the support and advice available, like I have over the last year or so.

Ijust wanted to say thatif I could tell you how to get rid of this stupid phobia I would write a book about it, make millions and go and live in the sun somewhere gorgeous!!!

Laney xxx

Ugh! You poor thing! Those are 2 really bad experiences! I am in the same boat as Laney, I don't know what advice to give you to get over it. I have had the fear for over 16 years!!! It just becomes a sucky part of my everyday life!

Welcome to the group though!!!
    Christi
    *^**^***^****^*****^******^**
    Proud Mommy to Zachary

Hi, welcome!

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I'm right ther with you singingangel!

My fear is with others too! I know what you mean about busses. I'm a middle school teacher and I had 4 field trips in a row where someone got sick including a trip 8 hours from home. I'm TERRIFIED now and refuse to take my students on field trips that include busses (luckily, my school is very close to the subway!).

Welcome and know that you aren't alone!

happyteacher

Hi Jenny - welcome to the site. Wow, I can totally relate to your stories - I was exactly like that when I was phobic. Worse, in fact. Because if I had been in the audience when the boy was sick, I would have run from the building and WILD HORSES would not have been able to drag me back there. Similarly, I refused to go on ANY BUS TRIPS when I was in school....period.

So I share this to let you know that there is lots of hope for a full recovery. It takes time, effort and probably money -but it is possible. People like us are somewhat easier to treat than those who don't fear other people at all, too.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi there and welcome!

Man you have been through some real tough experiences. I am so so sorry you had to go through that, especially the bus trip, I mean what a nightmare. That had to be the equivilent of hell literally for you. I cant imagine the horror of having to be stuck with people v*ing all around you for 7 days straight. Ugh.

Just want to say welcome and its a great place to come and talk and vent and such.

Hi, there! I'm Melanie and welcome to the group!!! I have only been here a couple weeks myself and I LOVE this site!!! I feel like I am in a safe haven here! Everyone here is so nice and we are all here to support each other!

I can't offer any advice as far as overcoming this stupid fear! It's so debilitating and it sucks!

My fear is more so of ME getting sick, but I don't ever want to be around someone who is v*. That bus trip would have done me in!!! OMG you poor thing! I probably wouldhave jumped out the bus window, or made them stop so I could take a cab home!!! Please let us get to know you!! We are all here to help each other![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    I CAN get through this! ♥Melanie♥

Welcome! I hope you'll like it here, I'm pretty new and I already love it. Gosh, those are awful. I would have flipped out. *sigh* I wish I could say "when I was phobic" as in the past tense. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

welcome. were all here for you if need to talk=)