Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So - what are some of your weird habits?

I can't burp while laying down or in certain positions.

I dont like to burp laying down either, or not knowing im going to
    burp...i probably wash my hands like crazy while preparing food to
    eat...even when i cook it before eating. like excessive. i always carry
    peppermint and ginger tea, peppermints, tylonal, anti-gas meds,
    digestive aids, and tums, plus my cell phone no matter where i go. i
    hate being alone when i feel weird or sick or icky. hm thats what i can
    think of right now
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chewing Trident Frost Bites (blue box) and eating mints like an animal.Also drinking Alka seltzer and there are others ill rememberlater.

Pop Rolaids like candy during a panic attack! I had a minor one last week while in a meeting with a client of mine. He probably thought I was a nnutcase, because I was fidgeting and eating Rolaids as we were discussing a legal case. I looked like n uncontrollable kid eating candy!!

Oh, and today, I was at the store, and this lady and small child walked in, straight to the Pepto aisle, grabbed a large bottle of it, and checked out. I had to see what checkout she went through, so I could avoid it, because she and the kid touched the counter and debit machine! If there would have been only one checkout counter open, I would have left all of my groceries there and went back later in the day when a different one would be open. I also look to see (at the stores), if there are alot of pepto and Immodium missing, indicatng that there are alot of stomach-ickiesaround at that time.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Wow, I can't burp lying down either! I thought it was just me. I always have to sit up at night. I wonder why this is.

Hi there!

I absolutely cannot burp while lying down either! I don't do it because the burps are nasty and sometimes kind of "bring" other things up along with it (yuck!). I've always called them "vurps" which stands for v* burps.

I'm an obsessive gum chewer.
    I hate leaving my feet on the floor on the bus, I always prop my feet up on the seat in front of me. Ya know, in case someone V*s on the floor.
    I check my food and my friends at lunch. Haha, they think I'm a nut. I actually threw out someone's chicken once because it wasn't done to my liking.

I never burp. Never did ever ever. I do these silent like hesitations after I eat.

Oh boy! This may take a while! ha ha! I carry Pepto chewables, immodium, a thermometer, personal cleansing cloths (perfect for when you have an IBS attack and TP ain't enough!), wet ones disinfecting cloths (perfect after you get gas at the gas station and your hands smell like gas!), toothbrush, toothpase, purell, gum, birth control pills, and my xanax and zoloft in my purse!! LOL got all that?

If I have a tummy ache I prop my pillows up and I sleep sitting up. I make myself burp to relieve pressure. If I don't feel good I crack my knuckles a zillion times, I pull on my hair and twirl it too. LOL I am a nervous wreck!

I wash my hand all the time, and I constantly talk to myself when I'm not feeling good. I'm such a freak!
    I CAN get through this! ♥Melanie♥

Oh and I call my mom like a zillion times when I don't feel good!

I dont burp either lol i hate it an if i get wind i panick. x

I call my mom a zillion times too when i dont feel good...she is like
    the only one who can really calm me down...i guess i believe what she
    says...i wish i could talk to her now...i think she maybe sad that she
    hears more about me feeling sick than anything else...
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree ruby!! I went to Pizza Hut tonight (freaking cause I have a little bit of social phobia) and I was texting my mom the whole time!! I kept telling her that I was ok but I was scared that I would be sick in front of my friends....she would text back that "You are fine! Be yourself and have a good time"

I did have a good time and I was ok! I am home now ready for bed and I'm not scared of being sick!! I ate a salad which usually gives me d* so if I get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom I'll know why! *wink*

I have actually chilled out some over the years with my nuttiness. But I still have my quirks. I must carry Purell with me at all times--I use it after touching the carts at the grocery store or Wal-Mart. I also carry Dramamine with me, just in case. I went without a cell phone for a couple years, and it never bothered me. But now that I have one, I must have it with me everywhere--just in case. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] I have finally gotten over the "gotta call Mommy if I don't feel good" thing. I don't generally call my husband either. I just take a couple Dramamine if I'm super anxious. But after dealing with panic attacks for 7 years or so, I've finally learned to differentiate between panic attacks and something more "serious." 99% of the time, it's nothing to worry about, thank God. But I used to call my mom or my husband if I felt the slightest twinge. They were my "safe people."

I have to always have my ipod with me at all times, i also carry germ-x, gum, and my cell phone if it works.
    ♥Stephanie

Thanks to sarah140 for my avatar and Fiona for my siggie

\"We can\'t help everyone. But everyone can help someone\"

Believe it or not, I pull and twirl my hair too when I'm n*!! I'm doing it right now as I am on a new medication that is just HORRIBLE!

This may sound soooo childish and stupid...I am 17 years old and when I am n* I have to sleep with my mom!!!!! It just makes me feel so much better knowing that shes there! Am Ia baby or what?!?! lol.

I also pop mints, gum, and lemon cough drops like a drug addict! I go through about 2 jumbo size bags of honey-lemon cough drops a week! Thats how often I get n*

Hmm well if I am at all nauseas I cannot sleep lying down, I have to prop myself up. I also usually cannot sleep until I am not nauseas. I also carry Imm AD with me wherever I go incase I need it.

I used to carry a thermometer with me all the time too, but I've cooled off with that.

When I'm n* I also do a variation of the pulling my hair. I run my fingers from the front of my hair line to the top my head and hold the clump of hair I get in the process. I used to also wear my hair pulled back all the time so that it wouldn't get in the way if I....ya know. However, I was actually cured of that habit by this stupid idiot hair stylist who decided to give me a bob. Not only did it look horrible, but it was also too short to pull back in anyway.

I am doing alot better than before but before I would grab my stomach( really hard) grab my throat and my chest. also I would call my mom alot. I still call her and ask her if she thinks it is okay for me to eat certain things but I have slowed down alot

I never burp, it just doesnt happen!

I use wipes on my hands all the time and especially before I touch any food I will be eating, I have antibacterial hand gel in the unheard instance that i have tio use a public toilet, I have a little bag in my handbag which hasphenergan, sominex, immodium, motillium, migraine tablets, indigestion tablets and so on, so Im always prepared. I also always have a plastic carrier bagwith me for obvious reasons...........

I agree also that if im feeling unwell I have to try to sleep propped up.

Laney

Oh yeah, I also have to have my hand on my stomach most of the time if I feel N*.....I really good for a few years but the last 3 months have been awful for me as I have had some major life events happen so hopefully I can get back to not worrying so much sometime soon.

Fisherman's friend, i take these when i feel really really nauseous and it work. (At least for me)
    Le Paroxysme de la Tranquilité.

Compulsory good manners.

I also have to sleep propped up, and as someone else said, I can't sleep until the n* stops!!! It's sooo irritating! I never get any sleep anymore!

I keep thinking of things that I do...LOL I bite my nails!!!! ARGH I have no nails to bite but I still manage to bite something! LOL

I have been chewing tons of gum since i quit smoking!!! Maybe that's whyI am on edge![img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

DUDE biting your nails is probably one of the most GERMY things you can do!!!! [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

anyway.... geez I wish I had a mother as supportive as y'all. Don't get me wrong, my mom loves me very much, but she's sooo tired w/ hearing about every little complaint from me. Mostly because it's been going on since I was like, 9. Oh ya, and she never sleeps with me.

I often drink ginger ale when I feel sick, or mint tea, or sip water if I have nothing else. I carry Gravol with me almost all the time, but I'm getting better at short trips without it. I go crazy with cleaning wheneverwe cook meat. I also like to have my cell phone all the time so I can call my husband if I'm panicking. We seem to have lots of similar habits as emets!

It's weird that some of you guys don't burp! I can't NOT burp when I feel the need...

When I was younger, I held in a burp and a few minutes later I v*d! So my weird nutty emetophobic mind came up with the conclusion that not burping caused the v*.

Anywho, I thought of another one: When I'm n*, I lift my arms above my head. I'm not too sure why, it sorta calms me down though..

haha! I keep thinking of other ones too!! I scratch like crazy! I dont care what part of my bodyI do it to, but when I feel n* I have to scratch something!

I can't burp whle lying down either and I freak when an unexpected burp hits. Also, even though I'm 32, I call my mom nonstop whenever I feel n*.

I also keep a mental checklist of tummy woes. As in, where the pain is, how severe, n*, what type, and the outcome and duration.

This is insane! I do a lot of these things and I seriously thought I was the only one!

I pull at my hair too, call my mama for any little thing, use to take a crap load of meds but I'm pregnant now and it's not that easy, and sometimes when I feel really crappy and someone asks if I'm okay I just start crying like a baby and then I feel a little better. Oh yeah the burp thing too. I can't sleep if I'm n*, I'll sleep propped up and then if I burp it usually helps to. I drink a lot of mineral water and ginger ale right now. Lemonjuice and saltalso helps sometimes. There are so many
    ***Elvia***