Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

I DONT WANT TO GET A THROAT SWAB I HATE THROAT SWABS I HATE THEM I HATE THINGS PICKING AT THE BACK OF MY THROAT AAAAARRRGHHH.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi there!

I agree with you--those are definitely not comfortable. However, I've had strep throat so many times I'm almost used to it.
    What I do to make it somewhat easier, is take a deep breath in when they begin the throat swab. If I do that, I don't gag at all and it's as quick as possible.
    Hope this helps you---feel better soon!!!

The throat swab is not as bad as them using the tongue depressor on you to do it. Get them to let you depress your own tongue with your muscles. If they can get the swab in without touching your tongue, they should have no objection to this. And you won't even feel it. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My sympathy with you... I had a throat swab once... I grabbed the nurse's wrists and nearly threw her across the room... talk about embarrassed! [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img] I think she still just about managed to get a sample!

I'm sure you will do better than me, Liz... you certainly can't do worse!

I pushed my doctor away once when he tried swabbing me. Anyway, the best thing to do is open.Openyour mouth, relax your tongue and close your eyes (do NOT watch, makes it worse)...

LOL I HATE THEM TOO!!!! GRRRRRR......I WILL NOT allow them to use the tounge depressor thing....absolutely not....I just open my mouth really wide and if they can't get a sample, too bad cause tey are NOT using that oversized popsicle stick on me! LOL I pushed my nurse away one time too...same thing when they ahve to draw Blood...I won't let them...I'm a HUGE baby when it comes to that too!
    I CAN get through this! ♥Melanie♥

What also helps too is to pant like a dog. Sounds funny but it helps. I used to work at a pediatrician's office and that is what he told the kids.</font>