Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Anyone have any coping strategies for all of the side effects of being an emet?

Eating smaller, frequent meals helps, especially earlier in the day or
    early evening. It's easier to sleep when most of the food is
    digested.

Eating celery helps a lot with nausea, as a preventative. Pull
    the strings off if you don't like them. I swear this works, but
    you have to eat it well before a panic attack, not in the moment!

Don't drink pop or caffinated/carbonated beverages at night.

I take an Actifed sinus pill if I think I'll be nervous going out to
    eat. It relaxes me enough that I don't get too worried, thus
    reducing the self-induced n*.

Pilates is a good exercise program that's relaxing and effective.

Keep the house cool at night for sleeping- I've noticed a connection between feeling too hot and emet attacks.

Hi there!!

You have quite a few really good coping mechanisms--I'm going to have to try the celery one!
    I also try to stay away from caffeine (even though I am a Diet Coke freak and adore Starbucks) because it seems to make my panic attacks worse. However, I'm a zombie in the morning without it so I limit it and don't drink too much in the afternoon. Also, instead of Actifed I chew a children's Benadryl--my doctor told me once that it helps with panic and n* and for some reason only the kid's version works for me.
    Pilates is awesome!! I've been doing it for quite awhile now, and not only does it work quickly but it is very relaxing.
    If I'm especially nervous in the car I've made some "relaxation" CD's with instrumental New-Age type music on it. It's worked quite well--once when I panicked at the mall I got in my car and it actually helped calm me down. Plus it helps with my the road rage I tend to get driving in city traffic!

I definately think eating more smaller meals helps. I was never one to eat a ton at one sitting. Also when I am kind of freaking out I find it helps a lot to get my mind busy by doing something with my hands like sewing or a crossword puzzle, or coming on here and typing and reading!
    It also helps me when I am freaking to think "ok now why could I be feeling like this?" and lots of times I can think of why (hunger, IBS acting up some, period, ect) and that helps calm me down. It is still hard tho especially when Im feeling real n*, but I try to do the best I can to cope and get through it.

I'm not usually that disciplined about exercising, but I think I'm going to have to become more so because it really seems to give me better control over my anxiety.

What seems to work best for me is a ballet workout for stregthening and toning DVD. I'm not sure why. Maybe because it involves a lot of controlled movements which require all my concentration.

The most helpful is a good diet. When I eat less, I almost never feel n*.

Also drinking lots of water is good.

You only live once

Since I commute roughly 55 miles to work, one thing I like to do is to
    keep a supply of sundries in my office, just in case something
    happens. Luckily our campus is also a conference center and
    faculty can stay in the hotel rooms for a deep discount if I ever
    needed a room. I also try to keep things in my office that
    emphasize relaxation and comfort, such as slippers, a clean towel and
    washcloth, toothbrush, etc. It's just good knowing that stuff is
    there in case I need it! Even though I dwell in a cubicle, I try
    to make it relatively comfortable.