Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

With all the sv's going around my area, I'm scared to take my kids trick or treating this Halloween. Am I being irrational? I know my three year old is really looking forward to it, and I was, too, but now I'm dreading it.

That's completely understandable. I guess it depends on the trick-or-treat'ee candy giving style.

If they give out the candy themselves then it should be alright...but if they let kids put their grubby hands all over the candy bucket then there may be a problem.

I'm really ocd in many ways (lol)so I always unwrap things and wash my hands before I eat them or hold it with the wrapperbut its hard to get kids to that.

Hi there!!

I agree---it's perfectly understandable. Trust me, I've always felt the same way each Halloween, and my son is 9 now.
    My son, by no means emet or germaphobic, does know about really good handwashing practices and will wash his hands before eating anything. That's one thing I'm glad I passed along to him!!!
    I would just make sure they don't eat anything along the way---they shouldn't anyways, because you never know what freaks are out there. Also, make sure they wash their hands extremely well when you get back. Plus, you could just limit the houses you go to (up and down the block for example) because usually that's plenty of time and they end up getting a ton of candy.
    Halloween is so much fun for the kids (and adults!!), and I cannot remember my son ever getting ill after trick or treating.
    Hope this helps!!! Edited by: christianne

I have to disagree with everyone else and say that trick or treating is probably a very low risk activity when it comes to catching a sv.

The standard practice is to hand out wrapped candies. Very few people actually bake things or give out apples anymore because parents have been warned against that. Even if houses leave out a candy bowl for kids to take things for themselves it probably wouldn't be a problem because the wrapping keeps out germs. The candies are also manufactured and wraped in a factory. Human hands basically never touch the food itself until someone unwraps and eats it.

You said your child is 3 so he/she is definetly too young to go out alone, so you'll be there to make sure that no one gives out any baked goods or things that aren't wrapped. Just check all the candy to make sure the wrapping isn't torn before you let your children eat any of it (which I'm sure you planned to do anyway), and I'm sure you'll all be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by chicajojobe
    I have to disagree with everyone else and say that trick or treating is probably a very low risk activity when it comes to catching a sv.
    Hi there!!
    I'm sorry, but I just had to add something else. I know candy has wrapping on it, but I think she was more worried about the person touching and giving the candy out being ill with one thing or another. Or if it's just in a bowl outside what if some kid grabbing candy was contagious with something? Couldn't there be a possibility of germs being on the wrapping itself? I know I personally cannot eat something without washing first just because it had a wrapping on it----I don't know who touched it and don't want to know what may be on it.
    I'm sorry to disagree and I'm sure I'm being a freak about it, but you really never know!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

That is what I was thinking about, Christianne. I suppose if I make my kids wash before eating anything, and don't let them handle the wrappings (which I generally do anyway) it should be fine.

Although Alvin and I agree that the odds of your child catching anything from wrapped candy are extremely low, I do understand how "extremely low" just won't cut it for an emet. So here's what you can do: either lay the candies out flat for 48 hours so the virus will dry up and die OR mix a tablespoon of bleach in a quart of water, wet a cloth with it, and "wash" the outside of the wrappers, killing every living thing on or near it.

But please, please moms....let the kids go trick or treating! What fun!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh ya - and don't let your kids see you doing this!

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

yea I agree!! don't let your kids miss out due to our fear. I think it will be fine even if the kids that put their hands in the bowl was sick because the virus neds a moist environment to live. so just have them wash their hands and have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by sage
    Oh ya - and don't let your kids see you doing this!

Lol yea if I was my mom doing that when I was lil I'd be like "Um....mom wat on earth are you doing?!?"

I agree 100% with Sage. Trick or treating is so much fun. I think some kids would trade a SV* for an awesome night of trick or treating. What are they going as? If they go of course...
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

I went to a Hallowe'en party as Jesus (hilarious costume), but I forgot to take my glasses off, so when I saw the pictures I was like "hey - it's presbyopia-Jesus" LOL (I'm not even Presbyterian- ha ha)

Quote Originally Posted by sage
    I went to a Hallowe'en party as Jesus (hilarious costume), but I forgot to take my glasses off, so when I saw the pictures I was like "hey - it's presbyopia-Jesus" LOL (I'm not even Presbyterian- ha ha)

LOL!! My baby girl was a ladybug!

Hi there!!!

Your baby girl is adorable!!!! She is the cutest little ladybug! Gosh, I sometimes miss when my son was that little. They had the cutest costumes for the little ones, and you could dress them up in just about anything. His first Halloween he went as a piglet--complete with ears, tail and snout. I know, not very boyish but he was only 3 months old! This year (9 years later) my son went as this horrifying dark thing with glowing/flashing red eyes....
    They really do grow up fast!!!

Hah i went to a party and was tinkerbell!

As to the trick or treating thing...I can see your concern, but i have gone trick or treating since i was three till last year, so that's twelve years, and I have never gotten sick. I hope your child had fun trick or treating!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

^^That is one cute baby! Well, I did take the kids trick-or-treating, and I'm glad I did. We went to the mall, because it was super cold here. I was freaking out, because I hate the mall, and it was very crowded and I kept wondering "has that kid v* recently? What about that one?" I'm a nut. Anyway, the kids had a good time, thanks for your encouragement, everyone!

Good job, I'm glad you went for it and I'm sure your kids are glad too.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

Quote Originally Posted by christianne
    Hi there!!!

Your baby girl is adorable!!!! She is the cutest little ladybug! Gosh, I sometimes miss when my son was that little. They had the cutest costumes for the little ones, and you could dress them up in just about anything. His first Halloween he went as a piglet--complete with ears, tail and snout. I know, not very boyish but he was only 3 months old! This year (9 years later) my son went as this horrifying dark thing with glowing/flashing red eyes....
    They really do grow up fast!!!

Thanks hon! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Aww, I LOVE piglet!! They grow up TOO fast, I am having such a hard time with her turning a year old!!