Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi, I'm new, I introduced myself here.

So, I hate traveling, because I hate being away from home. And then I can't eat. It becomes a nightmare, as I try to force Boost down my throat, or munch on crackers or whatever... I eventually end up feeling horrible (i'm hypoglycemic) and the trip usually ends the same way = me going home early (usually by renting a car and driving home... or having a friend drive me home).

I'm thinking of going to NY this weekend - by plane, but it's a long drive home.

I'm fine with everything else. I've learned to deal with panic attacks, or the free floating anxiety, but there's something about being away from home that just makes it near impossible for me to eat.

The strangest part is that I don't feel that stressed out... It's just a reflex at this point.

Anyone else?

Tips?

Am I crazy?

You can call me crazy...

Edited by: bluebottle

Hi there and welcome!!!

I think hypoglycemia is low blood sugar, right???
    Well, I love traveling (and also do it for a living!!) and it would be a shame for you to miss out on your trip to NY. I have issues with eating as well, especially when I'm on a trip. I, for some reason, have a hard time eating during the day and end up only eating dinner. I know, very unhealthy!!! However, when I do that I usually end up pretty shaky and crappy feeling by the afternoon, so I have snacks and things I bring along on my trips. I always bring some type of candy (when I feel shaky, that seems to work best!) or easy to carry things like Goldfish crackers or granola bars. Those seem to work well for me when I start feeling shaky.
    As far as for your plane trip and being away from home, is there any meds you are on or can get?? Or regular Gravol (I see you're Canadian!) or Benadryl helps relax on long flights. If it's really bad, your doctor can give you something else for your anxiety that will help your flight and your trip go smoothly. My sister is deathly afraid of flying and was somewhat agoraphobic, but flew from Chicago to Rome while taking Klonopin and had no problems at all. And she had a lovely time there, eating and drinking and so forth, even though she dreaded strange places and crowds.
    Otherwise, you could check with your doctor---he/she may have some great tips for you to help make your trip a good one.
    Hope this helps!!!Edited by: christianne

Nooooo, I'm like this, or used to be. Sometimes it's still bad even now, esp. if I'm like a guest in someone's house, or in a restaurant with people I don't know too well. My stomach is hungry but the food won't pass my throat!

No advice...but you're not crazy....unless I am too (erm, we won't go there, eh?!)

right! my stomach is craving food, but i can't get it in...

drives me crazy.

literally.

christianne: thanks! my doctor gave my some ativan that i'm to put under my tongue half an hour before the flight... and at any other point where i might feel it's necessary. i've never taken these before (i'm on 1mg of clonazepam a day) so i'm a little nervous about being "suddenly" sedated.

like, what if i'm sedated, but then required to be alert?

i have control issues.

oh wait, we all do.

[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Edited by: bluebottle

I used to not be able to eat in restaurants ... exactly how suze described ... just couldn't do it. I still get that way sometimes, especially away from home but can eat in a hotel room cuz I p retend I"m home LOL. Can you do that? Get food to go? Also try going to restaurants in your town, then a town or two over and so on and eventually I'd imagine you'd get used to it. I'm not sure how I got to where I can eat out now(usually, as I said there's still an issue sometimes)I think just keep on doing it was what helped.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

im hypoglaucemic and i also deal with the fact of eating when you think you might be sick. it sucks cause you dont want to eat anything at all, but when you dont, you end up feeling worse. what i end up doing, is take a glucose tablet ( you can get them at walmart in a lil tube for like 3 bucks) and it taste sorta like a tums but more like a sweetart, anyway i pop that baby in my mouth and i still get the energy and my blood levels fine, yet i dont feel the heavy weight of food in my stomach. just a suggestion.

that's brilliant!

wouldn't it be nice if they could put calories in a pill? and nutrients?

who needs food. bah...

thanks, i'm going to find those glucose pills.

and simplyme, that's a great plan... i should be trying to eat in other towns... build a hierarchy out of my difficulty eating away from home.

Oh yes, I've been there many times having to force food down. It's awful. I try and stick to runny/mushy/watery foods like soup, mashed potatoes and melon or try and nibble on things that are known to be good for your stomach if it's upset, like arrowroot biscuits.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I take Ativan, and I really like it. I have the 0.5 mg pill, which is the smallest dose it comes in, and I usually only take 1/4 to 1/2 a pill when I need it. I always like to take the smallest effective dose of things. Anyway, I'm sure if you only take half the tablet, you will have no trouble being alert if need be.

the happy dance.... [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]