Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Is Norovirus the most notorious gastrointestinal illness to cause vomiting? Is the vomiting harder to control with norovirus compared to other sv's? Can the vomiting be prevented by taking Dramamine? Does anyone ever have norovirus and only have diarhea and cramps?Edited by: johnyricer

Hi!

This summer my baby girl caught a SV and my husband and I both got it at the same time from her, they both V* but I didn't, I just had D* and the fever and all that..Thank the GOOD LORD!

Hi there!!

I think that anything's possible--there's probably someone out there who became ill with a norovirus and didn't v*. But I think I've read that most people infected with it do experience v* as well as all the other symptoms, but I'm not totally sure. I know with other types of sv*s some people only get d*. My son has a few sv*s and only once did I catch it, but I only had really awful d* and cramps.
    As far as Dramamine preventing v*ing, I know it does when taken for motion sickness. But I do have a friend who swears that she took it during a particularly nasty sv* and she never v*ed, while her entire family did.
    I seem to remember awhile ago when rotavirus was a huge deal, and now you don't really hear quite as much about it. I think because of all the cruise ship and school closing stuff noroviruses have become alot more played out and seems more frightening than it is. Truthfully it only lasts a day or two (I know, still horrible!!) but sometimes those reports make it seem that you v* every minute for days on end.
    My stepmother caught it from a cruise to Greece, and she said it was just like any other sv* she'd had in the past. She said she only v*ed twice, but had d* for a few days after.
    God, this is long....sorry!!! Hope this helps!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Well, technically what is considered the "stomach virus" ISnorovirus. Not everyone vomits- the way it affects a person varies by how much of it they injested and the person's physiology. Someone who is extremely healthy is more likely to walk away from it feeling crappy and with milder symptoms (which may not include vomit) as opposed to someone who doesn't have a well-developped immune system who may be completely out of commission fo a few days. Emetophobics are also less likely to vomit in general- so what may make a non-emet vomit won't necessarily do the same in someone who fears it and has trained their body not to vomit (or to prevent it).

Dramamine may work to prevent the vomitting- but it depends on when it is taken and if it has had a chance to be absorbed by your system. Also, it can potentially further irritate the lining of your stomach, which can make you feel worse.

Christianne- you are right- if you read the newsreports on norovirus, you will apparently be vomitting non-stop for days on end, lol. Truthfully, for the majority of the population it's a minor inconvenience for about two days, and not everyone vomits, or if they do, it's not necessarily prolonged.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dramamine is advertised as for just motion sickness, but it can help with any kind of nausea. It might help with a norovirus, but it will all depend on whether or not you can keep it down long enough for it to get absorbed and that just depends on the person.

Also I don't remember rotavirus ever being a big deal. Maybe I was too young then, but if everyone was scared of it then I'll bet it was because it was sensationalized. Rotavirus mainly only affects children. Most will have had it by the age of 2, and in adults it's usually a much more mild illness. Therefore, if anyone here ever remembers having a sv it was probably a norovirus unless they were under 5 at the time. Noroviruses are definetly a bigger threat to adults that rotaviruses.

What I remember is that it was horribly unpleasant because it caused v*ing, it HURT, and it came on very quickly. Talk about the world's rudest surprise interruping an otherwise good day. However, you guys are right the news sensationalizes norovirus too and makes it seem even more terrifying than the memories I have. They interview people coming off cruise ships who talk about everyone the ship v*ing non-stop for two days, and talk to college students who talk about their sick roommate being so dehydrated he had trouble standing up. It really sucks actually, it's almost like they're trying to create more emetophobes.

all "stomach viruses" are now called "Norwalk-like viruses" shortened to "noroviruses". That decision was made by the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta a few years ago.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

we need a vaccine for all sv's!!!
    This is Katsamsmom....and i am no longer able to access that account

Email me

^^Sign me up!!

apparently there are people working on it...Alvin and I have been in touch with a virologist from UBC whom we hope to interview (maybe on a video) that we can put up here. At the very least, we'll put the script up here with his full name, credentials, and a link to his website at the university. Anyway....that might take a while, like until semester is over. But Alvin was chatting to him on the phone and he said there is some research being done.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.