Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

i have heard alot of people take pepto when they feel n*. These same people also throw up right after the pepto. I lot of people i have talked too, feel that the pepto might make the vomiting reflex increase. does anyone know if this is true of have similar experiences with the good ol pink stuff

Hi there!!

If I'm feeling n*, I always take pepto and I've never v*ed from it. However, I do take the caplets as opposed to the liquid kind because I find the taste and texture downright nasty! I also find the chewable ones slightly better than the liquid. Maybe that's why some people who have taken it have v*ed afterwards. I think if I felt horribly n* and drank pepto I might react the same way. I can see how it could trigger an already touchy gag reflex. It's a heavy, chalky, gross-tasting medicine!

Well one time I took the liquid stuff, and did v* after, but I think its because anything in my stomach at that point would have made me sick, so I don't really blame the pepto. I did take it recently when feeling real real sick and it did help, so yea I'm not sure.

I take pepto all the time. It does not taste so good but I just drink it and then brush my teeth to get the taste out of my mouth. I did v* after using it one time before but I think that is because I drank to much. I was n* and I took the normal dose and it didnt help so I took more, still didnt help so I took a little more and so on. I kept drinking it until the bottle was almost gone. I just over did it. That is the only time it ever made me sick.

I take the caplets all the time, and I've never v*ed from them. They always help. I have tried the liquid and it doesn't taste good even when your not n*. If you take too much, it might make you v* because it's so thick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

perfect. i didnt know they had caplets! thanks~

i think is someone was going to v* after having it, it was because they
    may have a sv* and didnt take the medicine in time to prevent
    sickness...i think i read some link that doug gave us on that
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pepto bismol is certainly not ipecac. It won't make you v*. However, what people have said about the liquid making someone sick because it tastes horrible and is really thick makes sense.

I never take the liquid because it's nasty, and not convenient to carry around with me. When I first started taking my medication I had a lot of gastro-intestinal side effects so I needed it quite often. I used to use the chewable tablets, but my dentist got onto me for that because it produces really bad teeth stains. So I switched to the swallowable capelts....they're perfect!

Edited by: chicajojobe

i drink pepto all the time..even when im feelin a little nausas and it never
    make me v* before but for me...that stuff works wonders. im so used to the
    taste now

I can remember always v* after taking it when I was a child, so I refuse to now! lol

it makes me feel more n*

i used to take it all the time and for me it works !

I actually like the taste! It tastes like relief to me, ahhh pepto.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Janna

I remember when I was young, I had a stomachache and drank some pepto bismol. I always had an association attached to the stuff as a miracle cure for an upset stomach. However, that night I ended up getting sick regardless. Never bothered with the stuff after that, and downright refuse to take it. That experience kinda ruined it for me. =(

Lightbulb Re: good ol pepto bismol

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalgirl View Post
    i have heard alot of people take pepto when they feel n*. These same people also throw up right after the pepto. I lot of people i have talked too, feel that the pepto might make the vomiting reflex increase. does anyone know if this is true of have similar experiences with the good ol pink stuff

So um, dead post, but just wanted to confirm that YES pepto bismol does induce vomiting if you're already nauseous (at least for me).

I've always had issues with chronic sinus infections and nasal polyps since I was a kid (which are created by the chronic sinus infections and consequently cause drainage to fall back into your throat instead of out the nose).

Long history of allergies in the family too, so I can say I've experienced my fair share of nausea induced anxiety. I used to be terrified of throwing up, but now I know the faster I toss the cookie, the quicker I'll feel better. Thus, I try to embrace it by tying my hair back, making a nice towel pad in front of the toilet and just bearing with it. Dry coughing usually helps start the process. Gross I know, but whatever. Sometimes even just spitting up a little helps and the nausea goes away.
    On occasion, I'll listen to music to avoid thinking about everything too much. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Though...double dragon just feels like death- not much you can do there.

Anywhoo, if you're nauseous I wouldn't take pepto bismol- I think it interacts poorly with the chemical reactions in the stomach (hence the vomiting reaction). It's very chalky, and it would seem to have a very base-like Ph, whereas the stomach is highly acidic, but I'm sure any drainage you may get from your nose would throw it off. Because then you're basically 'eating' mucous and bacteria your nose has captured and and infectious fluid from your nasal cavity.
    I've never tried pepto bismol when I didn't have drainage though so I can't be 100% sure it's caused by that combo, but yeah- avoid it.

My go to that has a 90% success rate for nausea is- oddly enough- PICKLE JUICE

I love pickles, always have, and my mom craved them when she was preggers with me so I find it interesting I'm able to use the juice as a medicine for my oh-so-frequent nausea spells. Other friends have told me this helps them too. If you're not opposed to pickles then I would try to slowly sip on the juice while sitting in a quiet place.

Not the spicy kind (unless you want nausea and the poops). Try the standard 'Kosher Dill' juice. Vlasic juice tastes the best imo, but everyone is different.
    I've heard this also works with gerkin juice- which tastes a little different from your standard American pickle.