Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Is it ever possible to v* all of a sudden without any forewarning like bad nausea ( in terms of having an sv or bacterial infection)? Or does nausea always precede V*? I do know you can V* from a terrible smell or shock, but in terms of an sv or bacteria?

I dont think I can say i ever have, but can it happen?

um i'm not sure if it can happen with an sv*. However, in cases like a bad trauma (hitting your head, etc.) v* can happen without warning.

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I could almost bear it if I didn't have a warning. (though I'd want enough of one to get to a toilet) I hate the build-up to v*ing.

See.... This is what has been worrying me most since my daughter's friend went home the ot her day. The girl was completely fine at my house- a few minutes later- right when she got home- out of the blue she was sick all over. There was no warning and she didn't feel it coming on. Because of this I am now more nervous about sv's. The times after that she was sick she was nausiated before, but that first time just happened out of nowhere. That's just freaky.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Sounds like she was a kid - kids don't often recognize the signs. Trust me, some adults may vomit without warning, but not an emetophobe. Not ever! Don't spend any time worrying about this at all.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have never vomitted without plenty of warning, whether it is because of an sv, having too much to drink or whatever. Unlike Dreamer I'm so glad I get plenty of warning as my greatest fear is vomitting in front of others.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Well, it's one thing not to have to worry about this in ourselves since we are adults (or close enough), but it doesn't help when part of the phobia is about our kids getting sick. I don't like the idea that I could be on a road trip or at the store with my daughter and suddenly have her puke everywhere because she didn't feel the warning signs. This makes me want to become a hermit again. I figured by the age 11 (which was how old this girl is), kids should know when they are going to vomit. She knows the feeling of being nausiated, but her mom said it was the strangest thing- Just happened out of nowhere. Still worried. Thanks for trying, though.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Quote Originally Posted by shiva
    Well, it's one thing not to have to worry about this in ourselves since we are adults (or close enough), but it doesn't help when part of the phobia is about our kids getting sick. I don't like the idea that I could be on a road trip or at the store with my daughter and suddenly have her puke everywhere because she didn't feel the warning signs. This makes me want to become a hermit again. I figured by the age 11 (which was how old this girl is), kids should know when they are going to vomit. She knows the feeling of being nausiated, but her mom said it was the strangest thing- Just happened out of nowhere. Still worried. Thanks for trying, though.

That happened to a friend of mine and he's 42. He said he was fine all day and then he suddenly felt the adrenaline rush and within 5 minutes he v*. Scared me to death.

Yes it can. It is called precipitate vomiting.

Actually, when the dreaded Norwalk virus was first identified (back when it was still called winter vomiting disease), it was noted that precipitate vomiting was one of the most common symptoms. In the Vomiting FAQ (see the URL in my signature), I quote from an early medical journal article:
    <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

The chief symptom was that of vomiting, which occurred in 42 of the 52 cases. The sickness came on quite suddenly, so that several of the girls were sick wherever they happened to be in the school or on grounds; but a great many, having gone to bed apparently well, woke up in the morning and were sick before they could get out of bed. (Reginald Miller &amp; Martin Raven, "Epidemic Nausea and Vomiting," British Medical Journal 1: 1242-1244 (1936))</BLOCKQUOTE>
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

A few years back my kids had the norwalk virus and i remember it suddenly coming on. One minute they were playing and then it was like they made a retching sound and next it happened - out of nowhere. I got it next and i remember waking up in the early hours and i thought i'd sit and read a newspaper, like i generally do when i wake up. Next thing i am making that horrible noise and i get to the toilet in time. I only v* once. Didn't like it, but it happened. It came from nowhere. I couldn't believe how quick it came on. Other family members had it and they were the same - one minute fine, the next v*

Since I've been an adult, I've always had some warning.

D'oh . . .shouldn't have read this thread!

Norwalk can cause v* with practically no warning? What?!

Does that include all Norwalk type viruses? They still get called Winter V* Bug here in the UK. God, they must be so hard to contain - on cruise ships and hospitals - does that mean the stories are true about people just going around v*ing everywhere, in the lifts and the corridors?

MASS PANIC TIME

Can someone explain?

xx

It happened to my mom a couple of years ago, no warning, v*, then was fine!! it was weird!

I dont understand this though, how does this make logical sense? Your body has to release saratonin which causes you to become nauseous which then tells your body to v* eventually if it persists...and i can confirm that iv never had it happen another way...is it possible that just certain people are prone to this "precipitate V*ing?"

Quote Originally Posted by johnyricer
    I dont understand this though, how does this make logical sense? Your body has to release saratonin which causes you to become nauseous which then tells your body to v* eventually if it persists...and i can confirm that iv never had it happen another way...is it possible that just certain people are prone to this "precipitate V*ing?"

My friend whom I wrote about earlier up thread said he had no n*. He just had the "OMGOMGOMG" adrenaline rush and got to the bathroom seconds before he v*.

Now I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, it seems entirely possible and that scrares me to death. I'm not a doctor so I do not know the mechanics of it all, but if the CDC and the UK's equivalent say it could happen then I guess they would know best.

However, the other part of me believes that us emets listen to our bodies a little more carefully than non-emets. Maybe too carefully sometimes, especially when we misjudge hunger or digestion noises/feelings for something more nefarious. But maybe non-emets just do not care, ergo do not mind the subtle changes in their bodies as we do. So maybe they have been feeling icky for a while but chalk it up to something else and keep eating/don't medicate/whatever.Edited by: marieb73

I think you're right Marie!

I have *v* without much warning before and I was 18 years old! But, if there is such a thing, it was the "easiest" time I've ever *v*.

I woke up in the middle of the night with my stomach hurting like I had to go to the bathroom. I was not nauseated at all. I went to the bathroom (not diarrhea) and decided to get me something to drink. So, I get something to drink and go sit on the edge of my bed feeling pretty much OK. Then all of a sudden I just *v* everywhere. I did not have time to get to the bathroom because it happened so quickly. I was not nauseated and didn't get the "mouth watering feeling" that I usually get before *v*. It was the weirdest thing. I'm not sure what was wrong. That was the only episode I had, but I stayed home from school the next day because I was not feeling 100% yet. I remember my back hurting a lot though. So, I don't know if it was a mild virus or something I ate.

I kind of wish every *v* episode could be like that. There was no pain, nausea, or worry involved. Of course, I would have really liked to have made it to the sink or toilet before it happened!

Jess

marie - I'm with you. Non-emets don't even notice anything about their bodies most of the time. We, on the other hand, are hyper-vigilant and scanning them all the time.

I've heard of this phenomenon, so it must exist....but I've never actually talked to someone who's had it happen with ZERO warning...
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

people who say they had no warning are just making excuses for v*ing all over the place. most people can make it to the bathroom.

isnt it strange that we can control every other bodily function? you dont see people at the mall or a party or even walking down the streetmessing their pants. as a matter of fact, public urination is breaking the law in most places. maybe we need to start ticketing people for getting sick in public. then i bet a lot of people would make it to a more private place.

maybe for fun we should start a post about that!
    part of the cure is wanting to be cured

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer
    I could almost bear it if I didn't have a warning. (though I'd want enough of one to get to a toilet) I hate the build-up to v*ing.

Me too![img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]I hate the way you feel before you v*.

Happened to me once when I was 7, and I remember it quite clearly
    because it was one of the last times I ever v*ed. (I wasn't phobic at
    the time, just ...uh, disturbed, haha.) There was no pain or nausea.
    Not even a stomach gurgle. I was talking cheerfully when it came out of
    nowhere. Viva la liver infection! [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

I v*ed several times during the illness and, excluding this incident, I always had plenty of warning. Weird.