Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, today I actually came out and told my doctor that I'm emetophobic. And first he told me that that isn't even a real word so I had to explain it to him [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]. And then I asked him my questions, just to see his opinion. I asked him how sv* are passed and how well Purell really does work w/ viruses. So here's what he said...

sv* - He told me that sv* ARE airborne, but not all of them are. He said that there are many species of sv* viruses that it's impossible to know. I don't know if I should believe him or not....

Purell/hand wipes/sanitizers - They're slightly affective against viruses. He said it's definitely not a substitute for washing your hands if you've just gone to the bathroom but it works well enough. He said that it's just as affective against all germs in the same way soap is.

I don't know what to believe. I don't think I should believe him, he seemed annoyed w/ my questions

I think he meant airborne as in viral particles in tiny water droplets in the air. As in, you need to be around someone v*.

Let me just reassure you that doctor's don't know everything, and they definitely make mistakes. One of my doctors didn't know the difference between a skin tag and a pimple. Another one told me for two years in a row I was constipated, when I really had an ovarian cyst, which the radiologist didn't see on the ultrasound. Funny, but my new doctor was able to see it! Another doctor diagnosed me with diverticulitis, when a CT scan showed I definitely didn't have that. Also, I am a medical transcriptionist, and you wouldn't believe the mistakes doctors make!

Here's what I found in a couple of places:
    <UL>
    <LI>eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus;
    <LI>touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus, and then placing their hand in their mouth;
    <LI>having direct contact with another person who is infected and showing symptoms (for example, when caring for someone with illness, or sharing foods or eating utensils with someone who is ill). </LI>[/list]

How annoying...well it is up to you to trust him or not...I agree with
    what the other girls have said. and you know how purell doesnt work on
    viruses, especially not sv*
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That's a bummer that he seemed annoyed with you. Maybe you need to find another doctor that will be more supportive.
    I agree that doctors do not know everything. I am more inclined to believe the info Alvin has given on sv's, because he is a microbiology major, and who knows how much they actually teach doctors about that stuff.

I believe purell works on sv*. I have been told by a few doctors that it does. My childrens pediatrican uses it all the time. Here in my household we use it all the time.

Find a new doctor. He sounds like an ass. (he should learn some patience with his patients! : )
    \"This too shall pass\"

Dr's don't know everything. The first Dr I told about my emet laughed at me. She actually laughed! And dismissed it as nothing. Luckily I found a different Dr. Even though my second Dr hadn't heard of emet she was willing to work with me to try and resolve it and I owe her a lot. If you're not happy with him then go and see a different Dr. This is your health and your life and there is no reason to settle for some ass who can't be bothered.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Good grief! the CDC website is where I go for that kind of info cuz even tho doctors know stuff unless they are a gastro doc that isn't their main focus. The CDC actually STUDIES everything lol. Sorry he was kind of a jerk. It sucks when people who are supposed to be helpful and nurturing aren't.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by hippychick
    Dr's don't know everything. The first Dr I told about my emet laughed at me. She actually laughed! And dismissed it as nothing. Luckily I found a different Dr. Even though my second Dr hadn't heard of emet she was willing to work with me to try and resolve it and I owe her a lot. If you're not happy with him then go and see a different Dr. This is your health and your life and there is no reason to settle for some ass who can't be bothered.

that's pretty much what mine did! they're all "oh, don't be silly, no one likes to vomit!" psh.... [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by xxsophiaxx

that's pretty much what mine did! they're all "oh, don't be silly, no one likes to vomit!" psh.... [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I get really annoyed at this type of ignorance on a dr.'s part!

Yeh, pretty much no one LIKES to v*, but we emets have an irrational fear of it, and not everyone has that! Why can't they take us seriously??

We don't like being this way, and like it isn't already bad enough,for a PROFESSIONAL to laugh at us and dismiss our fear, is just an insult to us. UGH!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Wait, I'm lost though... The smell of Hand soap will make me v*, so I always use Hand Sanitizer!! It doesnt work??

What a jerk! I HATE it when I try to explain my fear to someone and they say "Well, no one liked to V*" well, DUH!!!!!! I know that but that's not the point! The point is I AM TERRIFIED!!!! ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED, I WOULD RATHER DIE THAN V*!!!! and then they go "Oh. I just do it and then I feel better..." GRRRR THAT"S NOT THE POINT EITHER!!! Non emets can be so shallow! Grrrrr[img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]
    I CAN get through this! ♥Melanie♥

^^Agree! I don't LIKE to have a cold, or ear infection, or the flu, but I don't spend 23 1/2 hours of each day obsessing about me or my kids or my husband catching one of those. I don't look around at the other people in the grocery store and wonder who has had a cold recently, or worry that there are cold germs on my canned soup. I don't have a panic attack when one of my kids gets a runny nose, or starts sneezing. I just think "oh, poor baby, they must be coming down with a cold." And I certainly don't avoid foods I had eaten the last time I had a cold, or remember what clothes I wore, or what was on tv.

I'd take any advice given to you by someone who says that "emetophobia" isn't even a real word with a grain of salt. It most certainly is. It sounds like he was just too arrogant to admit that he hadn't heard of it, so instead of it simply being something he's unfamiliar with it must just be something you made up!

He's a doctor, so he SHOULD know what he's talking about, but not all always do. A doctor once told me to trust my physicians as much as I feel comfortable, but also to remember that half of the doctors our there practicing graduated in the bottom</span> half of their class.

However, from every source I've found it says that handsanitizers do not kill viruses very well, and so to prevent sv handwashing is much better. So, fornever,</span> maybe you could try an unscented type of soap. I use Dove unscented because I hate the smell perfumed soap.
    Edited by: chicajojobe

Quote Originally Posted by californiagirl

I get really annoyed at this type of ignorance on a dr.'s part!

Yeh, pretty much no one LIKES to v*, but we emets have an irrational fear of it, and not everyone has that! Why can't they take us seriously??

We don't like being this way, and like it isn't already bad enough,for a PROFESSIONAL to laugh at us and dismiss our fear, is just an insult to us. UGH!

For some reason, some people cannot extend "does not like to" to "has fear of so bad that would do anything not to". Would they tell somene afraid of heights that no one likes to be walking a tightrope between 2 80 story buildings?!?!?

EXACTLY!!!!!
    I CAN get through this! ♥Melanie♥

See thats what gets me, just because you've never heard of emet doesn't mean you can just dismiss it so easily. If only I could! My second Dr I saw hadn't heard of it either but the difference was she listened, made an effort to understand and worked with me to find ways around this. At that time I was agoraphobic and couldn't leave my house so she'd do house calls for me and always took me through the side effects of every drug.

Neither of them knew what emetophobia was, but whereas one Dr left me feeling worthless and upset the other worked with me and got me out of the house. It's all in the attitude.

And no, of course no one likes to vomit, but unless they've sat up all night shaking crying and praying to god that they won't get sick then it's not the same thing!

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Doctors like this really burn my chili! AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH! What a complete idiot! The thing I really hate is that they are not capable of saying "gee...I don't know" - so they just make something up. It makes you wonder what ELSE he doesn't know and just makes up a diagnosis or a treatment!

There are lots of doctors out there who are open-minded and willing to learn if they don't know something. Also lots who will admit when they don't know something. I have had two family doctors in the past 30 years and both were like this - they're were and are great.

And in answer to the poster about hand sanitizers - no, they don't work against noroviruses - at least not completely. If they're alcohol based, that is. Alcohol will kill bacteria, but it won't kill viruses that are "enveloped" such as norovirus. Alvin and I were watching TV the other night, and they showed lysol wipes on a commercial and it said "kills 99.9% of germs" and they showed ONE little green wiggly germ left after the rest were gone. Alvin said "that's a norovirus particle!" Wash your with MILD soap (not "antibacterial") for at least 15 seconds - that's the best prevention.

Sophia: go to the treatments section of this discussion forum and go to the sticky post at the top entitled INFO.... Print it out, make a doctor's appointment, and arrange to have it surgically implanted in his butt for handy reference. Then go find a doctor who is not so arrogant, and who is kind and willing to learn. Print out another copy for him or her to read! And good luck with getting some help or a referral - take care.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

See thats what gets me, just because you've never heard of emet doesn't mean you can just dismiss it so easily. If only I could! My second Dr I saw hadn't heard of it either but the difference was she listened, made an effort to understand and worked with me to find ways around this. At that time I was agoraphobic and couldn't leave my house so she'd do house calls for me and always took me through the side effects of every drug.

Neither of them knew what emetophobia was, but whereas one Dr left me feeling worthless and upset the other worked with me and got me out of the house. It's all in the attitude.

And no, of course no one likes to vomit, but unless they've sat up all night shaking crying and praying to god that they won't get sick then it's not the same thing!

I am somewhat shocked at the amount of healthcare professionals who have either never heard of emetophobia or dismiss it as if made up. Ask any therapist. Phobias are REAL and do disrupt the phobic's life.

Quote Originally Posted by sage

Doctors like this really burn my chili! AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH! What a complete idiot! The thing I really hate is that they are not capable of saying "gee...I don't know" - so they just make something up. It makes you wonder what ELSE he doesn't know and just makes up a diagnosis or a treatment!

There are lots of doctors out there who are open-minded and willing to learn if they don't know something. Also lots who will admit when they don't know something. I have had two family doctors in the past 30 years and both were like this - they're were and are great.

And in answer to the poster about hand sanitizers - no, they don't work against noroviruses - at least not completely. If they're alcohol based, that is. Alcohol will kill bacteria, but it won't kill viruses that are "enveloped" such as norovirus. Alvin and I were watching TV the other night, and they showed lysol wipes on a commercial and it said "kills 99.9% of germs" and they showed ONE little green wiggly germ left after the rest were gone. Alvin said "that's a norovirus particle!" Wash your with MILD soap (not "antibacterial") for at least 15 seconds - that's the best prevention.

Sophia: go to the treatments section of this discussion forum and go to the sticky post at the top entitled INFO.... Print it out, make a doctor's appointment, and arrange to have it surgically implanted in his butt for handy reference. Then go find a doctor who is not so arrogant, and who is kind and willing to learn. Print out another copy for him or her to read! And good luck with getting some help or a referral - take care.

If alcohol an dlysol won't get rid of the nasty virus particle, will soap and water???

Marie- soap and water washes them down the drain

It's so funny that people are trying to come up with these new high-tech concoctions to get rid of viruses....when simply washing your hands the old fashion way is still your best defence!

As for doctors saying that purell kills viruses- I think that some GP's may believe this because they really haven't done (or felt the need to do) any research on these products. Virology really isnttheir area of expertise- I would definitely take the word of a microbiologist overa GP when it comes to this issue, because that is specifically what they study. In my opinion, expecting GP's to know everything there is to know about this issue is like expecting your gynecologist to be able to give you an eye exam. I'm sure while in medical school they learned something about eyes, but likely not enough to give you thurough information relating to any problems you may have.

*amber*

I have always used it, so I still do...Not in place of handwashing though, if I can help it....I use the wipes to wipe carts off, but if my baby is with me she has a cart cover, so we don't have to touch it at all! Yay!! lol

I always use a hand wash rather than soap, the simple reason being that even though I only wash my hands a normal amount of times a day they still get really dried out with soap. Generally my skin gets dried out anytime I use soap, it's a pain!

Quote Originally Posted by sage
    Go to the treatments section of this discussion forum and go to the sticky post at the top entitled INFO.... Print it out, make a doctor's appointment, and arrange to have it surgically implanted in his butt for handy reference.
    LMAO!

ya I don't know... I mean, I've been seeing him for so long, he's a really great guy, I just don't know if I can trust him. Cuz I usually see about 2 or 3 doctors. And a different doctor who diagnosed me w/ an asthma-like disorder that this one never even noticed! Even though this one's the top one at the clinic....

I always thought anitbacterial soap worked though, as long as you were scrubbing and drying really well? and for someone who asked about the lysol.... lysol may be OK for the air, but forget the lysol wipes. They won't do any good. Bleach is the best. And they actually do make bleach wipes. My family's always bleaching down the house, even when we're all healthy (we're clean freaks... even though I'm the only emet)

But ya, it annoys me, the whole "nobody likes to vomit!" it's like wtf that's not the point. What other people said... there's a HUGE difference between not liking it and dreading it to the point of where we'd rather die. And where we alter our lives. But he told me to just kick the habbit, whatever that meant.

Now, with me... I don't mind movies w/ v*, pictures of v*, pictures of people v* ing. I just don'twanna .... nor do Iwant someone to do itnear me. But ya,he doesn't understand. Lame... by the way, Sage, that comment Alvin made about the green squiglystill there in the lysol commercialtotally sounds like something I'd do, lol. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]. It's hilarious, I've seen many things similar to that, and I'd be like "well, there's the norovirus" ... and ppl just stare at me like I'm weird

[QUOTE=hippychickSee thats what gets me, just because you've never heard of emet doesn't mean you can just dismiss it so easily. If only I could! My second Dr I saw hadn't heard of it either but the difference was she listened, made an effort to understand and worked with me to find ways around this. At that time I was agoraphobic and couldn't leave my house so she'd do house calls for me and always took me through the side effects of every drug.

[/

hippychick you are really lucky with your doctor,I am agoraphobic too but doctors in the US simply will NOT make house calls.[b]Edited by: tojohn [/b]

It's very hard to get a housecall. I moved house now and am registered with a different Dr, and they do not make house calls at all. Luckily I don't need one anymore because I can go out. But I know that I was so so lucky with this woman. She came to see me every week. I know without her I wouldn't be here today and I'm so grateful.

I always thought anitbacterial soap worked though, as long as you were scrubbing and drying really well?

But ya, it annoys me, the whole "nobody likes to vomit!" it's like wtf that's not the point. What other people said... there's a HUGE difference between not liking it and dreading it to the point of where we'd rather die. And where we alter our lives. But he told me to just kick the habbit, whatever that meant.
    Yeah antibacterial soap is not good. It probably takes the cake for biggest come back to bite you in the butt invention recently. It does work, but that's the problem. It works so well that it can help lead to the emergenc of antibiotic resistant superbugs. Plus, it's bad about drying your skin. You're better off with just regular handsoap. Antibacterial isn't necessary.

And...."kick the habit"? What moronic advice! I mean for God's sake! My GP wasn't extremely helpful when I spoke to him about my emet, but he at least offered to prescribe Paxil for the anxiety if I wanted it.
    Obviously, it's up to you, but if you want my 2 cents it sounds like finding someone new might be a good idea. You deserve to have a doctor you feel like you can trust.

I agree that antibacterial soap causes stronger bugs...it's just so hard to find soap that is not antibacterial these days. I live in a bigger city, and even then I have to go to the local health food store to find regular soap. The problem with that is most of the "natural" stuff smells so strong. I love patchouli...but dang~if i have a headache or something it really gets to me.
    Be Here Now