Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was wondering this, cause I have been talking about it with my psychologist. In some ways my panic attacks prevent me from v*ing. I think if I wasn't scared and physically tense to fight the sensations I would do it a lot more. But maybe this is a trick I am playing on myself. Maybe I just can't differentiate between indigestion and pre-v*ing.

I don't know if it's the actual panic that prevents it, but it seems that emets are good at controlling v* a lot of the time. Non-emets seem to just let it happen when they feel sick, because to them, it's not a big deal, and just something to get over with.

I've heard that when you panic, your digestive system shuts down so it's not likely you'd v*. Also, emets are good at not v*ing !

yup. although I know sometimes my panic makes me feel very n*. To be honest w/ y'all... I don't even KNOW how to just "let it happen". It's just the way our brains work, I think. like, there were many times since I last v* where I though "well, this is it" and I even sat at the toilet, ready for it to happen. And "it" never did happen. VERY close though, ALMOST at the stage of heaving. *knocks wood* I plan for it to stay that way. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by xxsophiaxx
    I don't even KNOW how to just "let it happen". It's just the way our brains work, I think. like, there were many times since I last v* where I though "well, this is it" and I even sat at the toilet, ready for it to happen. And "it" never did happen. VERY close though, ALMOST at the stage of heaving. *knocks wood* I plan for it to stay that way. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]</font>
    That has happened to me, too! I even WANTED it to happen, because I felt that awful, but it didn't. Knock on wood!

I don't know really ..I think that in an event where you are truly going to v*, there's nothing stopping it. But .. who knows really .. maybe it would be best to ask a doctor?
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi there!!

There was only one time where I just knew I was going to v*--it wasn't just that yucky, n* feeling, but it was that n*, mouth watering, sweating type feeling and I still did not v*. I sat in the bathroom just feeling like it was going to happen but praying it wouldn't. I was up the entire night trying to prevent it, and completely exhausted by morning, but I didn't v*. My son had a sv* at that time and came down with it just hours before I started to feel kind of off, so I knew for a fact I caught what he had.
    I know if I wasn't so phobic I definitely would have v*ed that time. I should have, but I absolutely would not let myself do it.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzo
    I don't know really ..I think that in an event where
    you are truly going to v*, there's nothing stopping it. But .. who
    knows really .. maybe it would be best to ask a doctor?

I guess I agree with that.

You only live once

Yep, there have been times where I am so tired of fighting it and want the offending crap out of my stomach, and think, Ok, let loose......and nothing. I've even heaved and brought up saliva but nothing else, and was mad because I think the heaving is the worst, and my tummy was full of pizza, and I was still feeling sick. There are times I wish I could turn the fear off and just let it out and feel better but my brain disagrees with me.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] Janna

Yes! I for sure think the panic prevents it! I mean really, how normal is it not to vomit in over 10 some even 20 years??? You ask anyone who doesn't have this fear and they will probably tell you they got sick within the past year!
    Christi
    *^**^***^****^*****^******^**
    Proud Mommy to Zachary

Fight-or-flight syndrome causes our bodies to direct most of their energy at escaping danger,and digestive function, beingpretty uselessto that cause,is inhibited.So, yes--it's unlikely, maybe impossible you'll vomit during a panic attack. Panic causes nausea, butit's justyour body telling you not to give it anything to digest.

This is actually one of the reasons I'm reluctant to be cured of my emetophobia. I'm afraidbeing less anxiousabout vomiting will make it easier for me to vomit.

^^^^^^

exactly the same w/ me!!! Cuz I don't know how to keep all the germs out there away from me and not act like a freak. To me, keeping the germs away is behaving how I do now.

That is good to know about the panic and digestion, because when I panic, I too get very n* and think this is it!Maybe we will all have an easier time telling the difference between panic and real illness now that we know this. Hope so...</font>