Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Homeschool?

Just curious if any of the parents on here homeschool? Or have you ever thought of doing it?

~Brandi~

I'm not a parent and haven't homeschooled a child, but I myself have been homeschooled for a year. It's a great experience if the parent is well-structured and organized. Only problem I find with it is your social life goes a bit downhill. I had only one subject that was independent; the rest I attended a school and was taught in a class with fellowstudents in the homeschooling program. A class of no more than 10 students. It helped me improve in my weaker subjects (math!) than ordinary public school would have, because the peer pressure was nonexistent. Edited by: chemicalemotion

I'm probably going to do it. And not just because of emet.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]I had a rotten experience with school, and want my kids to have a good one, and I feel uncomfortable leaving my kids with strangers. (These are totally MY issues, no offense to any of the teachers on here. I have had some really wonderful teachers, and some horrible ones, and I just never want my kids to have to experience the horrible ones.) Also, I think it would be fun. For socialization, I plan to get my kids into classes and activities outside our home, like sports or music or whatever interests them at the time.

I was homeschooled for about a year also but I didn't like it. Kids need an outlet to meet other people and get out of the house and deal w/ those types of situations and most kids experience those things @ school.

honestly, homeschool could be good, but not for a long time. I have never been homeschooled myself, but there's this girl in my high school in the grade below mine that had been homeschooled all her life, and she is having a horrible time of interacting with other people now. I'm not saying that homeschool is bad, but it has to be for the right reasons. My friend began homeschooling her sophomore year of high school because she is a proffessional ballet dancer, and she did not have time for school with regular hours. Or, you could homeschool just because you think it will be the best environment for your child. but do not homeschool just because of emet, just because you're afraid of the child catching something.

If you do choose homeschool, then that's good, and if you don't, that's good too. just make sure that it is the right reason.

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I'm not a parent either but I was homeschool for my senior year of highschool and I think I got a better education because of it. My parents hired tutors to teach me and they were the best people I've ever met. I had so much fun, because it was one on one and I basically got to chose what I studied and what I didn't. It was AWESOME and if I had a kid that wanted to be homeschooled I certainly wouldn't think it was a bad idea. Just my 2 cents.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Maybe you could try private school if it's becuase of emet... Those kids seem less germy

I really want to homeschool my daughter, but she does not want to. She is 7 and in second grade, but she is so advanced for her age. She's on a fifth grade reading level, and understands the logistics of multiplication and division. Even in the gifted classes she becomes bored, and I am hesitant to skip a few grades. I just do not want her graduating High School at 15. Of course, when she comes home with an sv* the desire to homeschool is so much more intense. I keep hoping she'll change her mind. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]
    Be Here Now

I homeschool my daughter who's in 9th grade, and she loves it! She likes being in her room at her own desk, eating lunch/snacks from her own kitchen, and using her own bathroom. Also, she doesn't feel "dumb" or inferior when she doesn't undderstand something and has to aske me about it, whereas in school, she'd be too embarassed to ask questions and got way behind, because even if a couple of kids don't understand something in class, the class goes on, and then the problem snowballs into a huge deal.

Also, my sister put me down for this, but I don't care, I don't like the crime that goes on in school--drugs, fights, guns, bomb threats, etc. It happened at her last school, and I hear about it on the news. Recently, there were incidences at 4 different schools in one week!

I love having her here at home, and I also work from home so I'm able to help her. Her school has ALOT of extracurricular activities, field trips, and clubs so that the kids can all interact. Last year they had a formal graduation for the 8th graders also, which was real nice.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Hi there!!

I just had to add that homeschooled children are no more or less social than kids that attend public or private schools. One of my best girl friends was homeschooled, and she is one of the most outgoing, amazing people you'd ever meet. She participated in plenty of activities and sports while being homeschooled, and even had more friends than I did growing up. She is now married and finishing up her law degree.
    I, on the other hand, had a very hard time in public school. I had awful grades, wore only black, couldn't make friends (and I did try!!). Never joined groups or clubs, no sports---not a thing. I was teased, ridiculed, made fun of--I was a complete outcast until I was a junior in high school and I wasn't the chubby ugly duckling anymore. I was shy and chubby, which are lethal combinations in a public school. I hated school, and I wouldn't go back to that time if you paid me.
    Plus, at my high school there were gangs, fights, plenty of drugs and alot of alcohol on school grounds.
    So I really think homeschooling does not make your kids anti-social or naive and so forth. My friend is an excellent example of this!!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by christianne
    Hi there!!

I just had to add that homeschooled children are no more or less social than kids that attend public or private schools. One of my best girl friends was homeschooled, and she is one of the most outgoing, amazing people you'd ever meet. She participated in plenty of activities and sports while being homeschooled, and even had more friends than I did growing up. She is now married and finishing up her law degree.
    I, on the other hand, had a very hard time in public school. I had awful grades, wore only black, couldn't make friends (and I did try!!). Never joined groups or clubs, no sports---not a thing. I was teased, ridiculed, made fun of--I was a complete outcast until I was a junior in high school and I wasn't the chubby ugly duckling anymore. I was shy and chubby, which are lethal combinations in a public school. I hated school, and I wouldn't go back to that time if you paid me.
    Plus, at my high school there were gangs, fights, plenty of drugs and alot of alcohol on school grounds.
    So I really think homeschooling does not make your kids anti-social or naive and so forth. My friend is an excellent example of this!!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Wow--my daughter feels the same way you do!!!! She is also very intelligent and a genuinely great person.

Hey, and good for your fried!!!! Way to go!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I homeschool my boys, first and second graders, and we love it. I won't lie and say it is all roses and sunshine. It is really hard to self-motivate. But, we only have to have a fraction of the school time public schooled kids have, so we have most of the day to do with what we want. And my hubby is in the military, so we get to travel with him and take school with us. The socialization is not a problem for us, we are so deep into activities and sports and boy scouts that we are busier than ever. Plus where I live there are so many families that do it that they have classes for homeschooled kids to take, and so my boys have been able to be in a "school" setting some of the time. The school system here is supposedly a great one, but my oldest went to kindergarten, and I was absolutely appalled at what went on. And the higher the grade, the worse it gets here. My boys are pretty advanced, and I let them sort of guide what we learn about some of the time, and it really makes them want to learn more without them feeling like they're in school. Ok, I've sung my praises, and it is hard and I do worry sometimes about whether or not they're keeping up with the other kids, but i have to stop myself with that and tell myself that if I was concerned with them learning the same things as public schooled kids, I would put them in public school. My husband and I and the curriculum we have set their standards, and that works out great! Janna

Thank you all so much for your replies!!! I have been thinking about doing it for a long time. Sometimes my emet does play a role but not that often because my children are generally really healthy. They don't get sick that often (knock on wood) probably because they wash their hands alot. I am not worried about the socialization part of it because all my friends have kids and we have a really wonderful homeschooling group out here. We live in a small valley it is kind of an uppity sp? area and the parents are so worried about keeping up with the Jones' that their kids are kinda put on a back burner so they act however they want. My children come home and tell me some of the stuff they hear and I am shocked. I am seriously thinking about it. Thank you all so much for listening and putting your two cents in. ~Brandi~